How do parents move to Aus

pumpkinpie

Hi all,

Im a bit overwhelmed by the information on how to get parents to Aus. 

There’s a hint of a possibility that my parents want to move down under. They’re in their 70’s. How do we go about it? Is it only doable if all their children are in Aus?  My brother is in the uk, we are now Aus citizens. (Husband and two kids) 

I hear bridging visas are the way forward as a permanent visa can take 15 plus yrs plus to be granted. If they can get to move, how does it work with Medicare? 

I appreciate this may not be a straightforward question/s but would like to know where to start with it all.

thank you,

It won't be that easy.

The Australian government will take the view that they have never paid taxes in this country and coming over late in life means the Australian taxpayer will likely need to support them in their old age.

If they are wealthy enough that they can be fully self sufficient then there may be ways to go about it. Like come as visitors and then refuse to go back etc.

Unfortunately it's far from a straightforward question.  

You are correct in thinking that a permanent visa isn't the answer.  If they apply from the UK, they'll be well into their 80s before they get the visa and it would likely be too much of an upheaval for them to move at that age (and there would be a medical they'd have to pass, too).  

The only real option is for them to come to Australia on a visitor visa, then once they've arrived, apply for a parent visa.  When their visitor visa runs out, they'll receive a bridging visa which (incredible though it sounds) will remain in force until the parent visa is granted, which will be at least 12 years and possibly never, depending on which type of visa is applied for. 

If it sounds too good to be true, then it is.  There are some major snags. I've written a post about it and will pop back once I've found it.

• Like 1

The downsides of a bridging visa:

Your parents will be in limbo, not a permanent resident of Australia,  but no longer a resident of the UK either, so not entitled to benefits, pensioner concessions etc in both countries (being a UK citizen makes no difference). 

If they want to buy a home, they'll need special permission from FIRB and will pay a fee, plus a hefty surcharge on the purchase price (e.g. $40,000 on a $500,000 home). 

Their UK govt pensions will be frozen at the rate they are today.  They'll never get any increases, so you can imagine how their buying power will dwindle over the years.  They won't be entitled to an Australian pension or low income benefits. 

The bridging visa allows them to stay in Australia as long as they don't leave the country.   If they do want to leave Australia, even for a holiday, they'll have to ask for permission (a BVB) and justify their reasons for the trip. If they don't get a BVB, no one will stop them leaving Australia -- but they'll be refused entry when they try to return, even if their home and all their belongings are here. Same will happen if they stay abroad too long and let the BVB expire. So that will take vigilance.

If they're currently living in the UK, they'll be entitled to Medicare under the reciprocal agreement.  The rules of the reciprocal agreement say it covers essential care only, and if something can wait until you fly home to the UK, then it's not covered.  However, in practice it doesn't seem to work that way, and we've seen people having hip replacements and all sorts under the reciprocal scheme.  The risk would be that Medicare gets their act together in the next 10 or 20 years, and starts applying the rules properly.  The NHS did the same a few years ago and are now strict about checking residency before they treat you.  It's quite possible Australia will follow suit because it's costing the government a fortune.  If they do, then you'll need to have deep pockets to pay for all their medical costs, which will only increase as they age.  Remember that medical costs, without Medicare or private insurance, are very high.  Just a visit to a GP can be $200.  A hip replacement in Australia will easily cost $30,000. 

Do remember that in Australia, Medicare doesn't cover everything.  In the UK they'll be getting free prescriptions and treatment.  Here, even under Medicare, they'll be paying "gap" fees, and they won't get pensioner concessions on prescriptions.  Most people in their 70s are taking a few medications and in the UK, they'll be free.  Here, they may cost $30 per item.  

• Like 1

You’ve all been super helpful, thank you. Seems very complex and un-achievable sadly. 
we’ve loved in Aus 13 yrs and this is the first time they’ve mentioned living in Aus. Seems we are a bit too late,

They aren’t wealthy, so reckon it’s unlikely to happen. Their house is worth about £350k, but other than that no further assets.

thank you for your advice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pumpkinpie said:

You’ve all been super helpful, thank you. Seems very complex and un-achievable sadly. 
we’ve loved in Aus 13 yrs and this is the first time they’ve mentioned living in Aus. Seems we are a bit too late,

They aren’t wealthy, so reckon it’s unlikely to happen. Their house is worth about £350k, but other than that no further assets.

thank you for your advice.

Yes you need deep pockets and be self supporting. It’s even very expensive to purchase property if they don’t have PR. They’d be classed as foreign investors and would have to pay $13200 to FIRB for permission just to purchase property. On top of the normal stamp duty each state charges  foreign investors an extra 7-8%! 

if they did arrive on a holiday visa then go onto a bridging visa in about 3-4 years they would have a medical just to be put into the queue! Obviously old people have more problems and medicines as they age.  A little known fact is if Medicare feel they are costing more than $51000 in medical help etc they can be asked to leave as it’s a burden on the Australian taxpayer. People on bridging visas are also subject to any changes in Immigration law as well and the govt recently authorised a review into visas and should be reporting back soon.sadly not an easy decision for them - or you. 

• Like 2

There are some bleak and somewhat inaccurate comments in the above.

For example, if the health requirement isn't met a subclass 864 or 804 visa applicant would usually look at a subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa.

Leaving Australia without a BVB isn't necessarily a problem.   One applies for a Visitor visa (the e651 if from the UK) to get back to Australia and applies for the reinstatement of the BVA when back - a BV can only be granted to a person who is physically in Australia.

So maybe all is not lost after all!

Best regards.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

For example, if the health requirement isn't met a subclass 864 or 804 visa applicant would usually look at a subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa.

Leaving Australia without a BVB isn't necessarily a problem.   One applies for a Visitor visa (the e651 if from the UK) to get back to Australia and applies for the reinstatement of the BVA when back - a BV can only be granted to a person who is physically in Australia.

Best regards.

One wonders what the point is of Immigration rules if they are so easily circumvented   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Best regards.

I always thought the 602 is not a permanent visa and is only until the applicant is well enough to leave? I can’t see home affairs willing to allow someone with an ongoing expensive illness to remain for the rest of their life? That’s is surely why they look at the ongoing costs of a condition when deciding whether the medical has been passed for most visas?

I seem to  remember  a few cases where elderly parents on 804 in nursing homes were threatened with deportation but died during the appeal to remain? . 

Edited by LindaH27

18 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I always thought the 602 is not a permanent visa and is only until the applicant is well enough to leave? I can’t see home affairs willing to allow someone with an ongoing expensive illness to remain for the rest of their life? That’s is surely why they look at the ongoing costs of a condition when deciding whether the medical has been passed for most visas?

I seem to  remember  a few cases where elderly parents on 804 in nursing homes were threatened with deportation but died during the appeal to remain? . 

602 visas granted to aged parents are usually issued with a 10 year permitted period of stay.

Have you ever heard of a 602 visa holder of senior years being required to leave Australia?

It may be nonsense and make no sense to Australia financially, but until there's a consensus in the Federal Government in both Houses to abolish existing visa options this is what we have.

Of course changes to the Migration Program may be afoot in the next 4 or so weeks.   Whether this includes parent visas or is solely focused on skilled visa outcomes remains to be seen.

Best regards.

9 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

602 visas granted to aged parents are usually issued with a 10 year permitted period of stay.

Have you ever heard of a 602 visa holder of senior years being required to leave Australia?

It may be nonsense and make no sense to Australia financially, but until there's a consensus in the Federal Government in both Houses to abolish existing visa options this is what we have.

Of course changes to the Migration Program may be afoot in the next 4 or so weeks.   Whether this includes parent visas or is solely focused on skilled visa outcomes remains to be seen.

Best regards.

No I haven’t seen any posts about parents on 602 having to leave -  just those on 804. 

i am aware that the Australian govt ( of whatever  persuasion ) does not like 804 as it isn’t financially viable for the taxpayers given the potential  high costs involved and has tried to stop it once before and/or keep the quotas low. But by allowing bridging visas plus the lengthening wait for PR visas  they’ve ended up with huge numbers transferring to 804 or applying for 804 in the first instance and literally have thousands now on bridging visas. I would guess they may look again at this. 

Also  if parents gift money to children for purchasing  property does this  leads to tax complications for the children when the  house has to eventually be sold? 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

No I haven’t seen any posts about parents on 602 having to leave -  just those on 804. 

i am aware that the Australian govt ( of whatever  persuasion ) does not like 804 as it isn’t financially viable for the taxpayers given the potential  high costs involved and has tried to stop it once before and/or keep the quotas low. But by allowing bridging visas plus the lengthening wait for PR visas  they’ve ended up with huge numbers transferring to 804 or applying for 804 in the first instance and literally have thousands now on bridging visas. I would guess they may look again at this. 

You'd think so, Linda - but while you and I and others on this thread understand parent visas and can quote statistics the vast majority of politicians in the Federal Government appear to have little comprehension of the subject.

Parent visas are not the main game in town.   Skilled visas are commanding the headlines.   The occasional post about parent visas on SBS online isn't going to be on the radar of the incumbent Government.

That said ... let's see what's in the migration review.  

Onwards!

1 minute ago, Alan Collett said:

You'd think so, Linda - but while you and I and others on this thread understand parent visas and can quote statistics the vast majority of politicians in the Federal Government appear to have little comprehension of the subject.

Parent visas are not the main game in town.   Skilled visas are commanding the headlines.   The occasional post about parent visas on SBS online isn't going to be on the radar of the incumbent Government.

That said ... let's see what's in the migration review.  

Onwards!

I just wondered because of the review announced last year which is supposed to report soon. When I read it there was mention of parent visas as well so I assumed it would be considered. Anyway let’s wait and see! There have been a few petitions lately about the wait time for expensive contributory visas and a growing sense of unfairness that non contributory onshore visas cost so little and yet allow people to remain for  the rest of their lives whilst waiting 30 years for a grant - especially if they also get reciprocal health care!