Health cards

Judy

Hello everyone. We have been here for just over 4 years and loving it. It was worth the wait for our 143 visa as we wouldn't want to be without our grandchildren now. 

I would like to know anyone's thoughts on the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. 

Also wondering if it might be worth going for the Low Income Health Care Card. Not sure if our income would fit the criteria as our pensions are paid in the UK so we will have to convert to AUD and it may be a bit tight. Would it be worth giving it a go? 

Can anyone share their experiences, thanks in advance. 

Ps we already hold seniors cards in Queensland so get a discount on rego and electricity. 

Edited by Judy

Recently applied for the Seniors Health Card - it was a bloody nightmare because I had to try and negotiate MyGov (the app that results in more laptops being hoiked through windows than any other!).  It was all to do with digital identity and I couldnt strengthen mine so I printed off the application form and refused to send them original documents so went to the local Centrelink office with application and passports etc etc in hand where it took mere minutes to verify that we were who we said we were.  I cant see that it is going to make much difference - I believe our doctor gives $10 off a consultation and I gave the card to our local discount chemist - where the cost of prescriptions is astonishingly low anyway - and saw little difference, maybe a dollar per item.  Was it worth the angst I went through that weekend, probably not but you never know.

The low income card really is for low incomes and they take into account all your financial assets - super, investments etc etc and they go through the deeming process.  We certainly didn't qualify but it is a tick the box on the Seniors application form - then they ask you to go into huge detail, as you would expect from an assets based benefit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have the Seniors Health Card too.   Like Quoll, the application process was a pain in the proverbial but it was worth it for us.   I guess it depends what kind of medications you need.  I need an asthma preventer which is normally over $40, so it's saving me a fortune in prescriptions.   

I had to go to the Centrelink office too due to difficulties with the online system.  A snotty youth assumed I wasn't doing it properly and directed me to "have another go" at one of their DIY terminals. When I got to the same point in the form and had the same difficulty, I called him over and let him struggle with it for a few minutes before he finally admitted I wasn't an idiot, and sent me to another clerk who did it manually. However even with all that, I was there less than an hour.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2023 at 13:10, Marisawright said:

We have the Seniors Health Card too.   Like Quoll, the application process was a pain in the proverbial but it was worth it for us.   I guess it depends what kind of medications you need.  I need an asthma preventer which is normally over $40, so it's saving me a fortune in prescriptions.   

I had to go to the Centrelink office too due to difficulties with the online system.  A snotty youth assumed I wasn't doing it properly and directed me to "have another go" at one of their DIY terminals. When I got to the same point in the form and had the same difficulty, I called him over and let him struggle with it for a few minutes before he finally admitted I wasn't an idiot, and sent me to another clerk who did it manually. However even with all that, I was there less than an hour.

Is the seniors Health Card income dependant? 

We have to pay the PBS rate, until we hit the combined safety net, then we get the $6 rate for the rest of the year on all our scripts that certainly helps.

49 minutes ago, ramot said:

We have to pay the PBS rate, until we hit the combined safety net, then we get the $6 rate for the rest of the year on all our scripts that certainly helps.

This link gives you the income limits. They have just been increased and are quite generous. 

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/income-test-for-commonwealth-seniors-health-card?context=21966

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ramot said:

It is and we didn't expect to get it for that reason, but as Judy says, the thresholds are fairly generous.