Primary Teacher 190 Visa - EOI Submitted

travelbugkim

Hi all 👋🏻 new here!

It’s always been my dream to emigrate to Aus. I was there on a WHV there back in 2019 and was fortunate to work as a primary school teacher during this time (Victoria registered) but was unable to secure sponsorship as primary teaching wasn’t on the SOL at the time. 

Fast forward a few years, I’ve been teaching in Scotland and want to move back to Aus on a 190 visa hopefully. I’ve had my skills assessment completed and I have tried to do everything I can to get my points up (I sat the IELTS exam a few weeks ago, I got an 8.5 overall but sadly I only scored a 7.0 on the writing section, so I’m classed as ‘proficient’ gaining me an extra 10 points).

So I’m currently at 75 points, I’ve listed WA, VIC, QLD and NSW as my options. I also registered my interest with VIC. 

I know no one really knows the answer, but any advice re my chances would be greatly appreciated. This is something I really want but feel in limbo with life at the moment and want to know if this is a good avenue to peruse. 

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Before Covid, 75 points wouldn't have been nearly enough, however it seems that things have changed now.  The only thing that worries me is that you've said you've "listed" all the states.  That may make it less likely you'll be invited.    

All the states are fed up of granting visas to people who secretly don't want to live in their state, and are just listing all the states hoping someone will give them a visa.  They don't want to go to all the work of granting a visa to someone, only to find they go off to live in another state as soon as they're able.   So nominating just one state would have been a better strategy.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for getting back to me 🙂

I’ve only listed 4 states I want to live in instead of all. As I actually did the Canberra matrix last year on their website and was invited to apply, which I was shocked by but realised it isn’t a state I would want to live in at this point of my life but it showed me that there may be a chance after all, which is why I have started the 190 process of getting my skills assessment done etc, but you might be right re narrowing it down as I know NSW aren’t looking for primary teachers it seems for the 190 now.

Anyone I speak to says they need primary teachers and keep seeing stuff in the media but it definitely feels like they don’t make it easy that’s for sure. 

10 minutes ago, travelbugkim said:

I’ve only listed 4 states I want to live in instead of all.

I'm sure that's the case, but they don't know that.  To them it just looks like you're using a scattergun approach (nobody wants NT and a lot of people have  prejudice against Canberra, which isn't really fair as it is a nice place to live).

They do need primary teachers but only in remote and regional areas AFAIK 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this information. For me it’s a case of my age and the fact I’m single that I guess I’m looking for a bigger city to live or even somewhere on the outskirts, as opposed to somewhere more remote where I feel if I had a family/kids etc this would be more of an option. Hopefully this makes sense.

I guess I will just have to see it as if it’s meant to be, it be will 🙂 

Thanks for all of your advice. I’ve updated my EOI to just Victoria and I have sent a Registration of Interest on their website too. It is where I have my connections and I loved living there, so fingers crossed this gives me a better chance 🙂

Thanks again,

Kim

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Kieran Leahy said:

Hi Travelbugkim,

Did you ever have any luck with the 190 Visa EOI/ROI for Victoria? I am a primary school teacher with similar points level to yours and I've put Victoria down as the state in my 190 EOI.

Kieran. 

Hi Kieran,

My application has been in since the start of last year and I’ve made a few changes since. I selected just Victoria in August after I had an email to say they had done a selection round and I hadn’t been selected this time but then I had another similar email in November. Have you sent the Registration of Interest? I emailed to check I was still on that list and apparently I am, so I’m not sure. I gave myself until the start of this year with it all as I fear I am putting my life on hold for an email that might not come, but I guess maybe a random Tuesday I’ll be invited. Hopefully you have a better outcome :) 

All the best,

Kim

Yes Kim,

I have just selected Victoria. ROI is in for months now. At the end of January I got the standard email - Your ROI was not selected in this round, however it has been assessed as eligible. Your ROI will remain under consideration for selection in the next round.

I’m teaching in SE Asia at the moment in a British School. Really yearn to move to Victoria. Fingers crossed for both of us!

kieran 

2 hours ago, Kieran Leahy said:

Yes Kim,

I have just selected Victoria. ROI is in for months now. At the end of January I got the standard email - Your ROI was not selected in this round, however it has been assessed as eligible. Your ROI will remain under consideration for selection in the next round.

I’m teaching in SE Asia at the moment in a British School. Really yearn to move to Victoria. Fingers crossed for both of us!

kieran 

Ah, I was in SE Asia too at an international school for several in Bangkok. I got the same spiel from them.

If you haven’t done the English language test, it might be a way to up your points but then I wouldn’t recommend doing IELTS as it’s pretty tough to get 8 across the board apparently and I thought it would be an average of all the areas. 

Good luck though, I think I’ve resided myself to the fact it might not be on the cards for me after all sadly! Maybe one day!

Kim

I'd recommend PTE way ahead of IELTS. IELTS is just a cash cow rort; whilst not necessarily a walk in the park, PTE at least feels more natural and doesn't prescribe you to write in a style of their choosing as IELTS does. Seen more than a few excellent (and professional) writers end up with only 7 or 7.5 on IELTS writing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, travelbugkim said:

Ah, I was in SE Asia too at an international school for several in Bangkok. I got the same spiel from them.

If you haven’t done the English language test, it might be a way to up your points but then I wouldn’t recommend doing IELTS as it’s pretty tough to get 8 across the board apparently and I thought it would be an average of all the areas. 

Good luck though, I think I’ve resided myself to the fact it might not be on the cards for me after all sadly! Maybe one day!

Kim

I wouldn't put your life on hold waiting for an email. I would just get on with life do what you want to do in the UK and maybe one day an opportunity will present itself. You can decide then what to do.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, can1983 said:

I wouldn't put your life on hold waiting for an email. I would just get on with life do what you want to do in the UK and maybe one day an opportunity will present itself. You can decide then what to do.

That is easier said than done you don't want to take on new cars, mortgage renewals, house moves etc... if you intend to move and are awaiting on that email. You still need to live your life but the big decisions can be complex. 

• Like 1