Do I Need to Work For A Year In A School After PGCE?

Slih01

Hi All

I have had mixed responses from immigration consultants.

I am starting a PGCE next school year and then looking to move with my family to Aus, so that I can start teaching there.

Once I have done the PGCE, do I need to do a year of teaching before applying? 

Also are there any specific requirements or criteria that the PGCE needs to meet in order to be recgonised by the Australian teaching board?

Thanks

Darren

Thanks Paul really appreciate it.

So as long as I have 65 points I can apply? I can't message you for some reason (getting an error).

(Do you offer short consultations? Obviously can't go forward with process until after PGCE, but still have a few

13 hours ago, Slih01 said:

Hi All

I am starting a PGCE next school year and then looking to move with my family to Aus, so that I can start teaching there.

Also are there any specific requirements or criteria that the PGCE needs to meet in order to be recognised by the Australian teaching board?

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

With regards to whether you need to have completed your NQT year to work in Australian schools, I think the answer is also no. I only taught one term in the UK after completing my PGCE and arriving in Australia, although it's over 10 years ago now and things do change. Schools over here tend to have their own induction programs for new teachers, regardless of whether they are newly-qualified or just new to the school, and they tend to be a lot less rigorous than than the 12-month induction for NQTs that you need to complete in the UK.

There isn't a national Australian teaching board. Each state has it's own organisational body that you need to be registered with in order to teach in that state, and registration requirements can  differ between states. It's the QCT here in Queensland, but if you Google "teacher registration + the state you're going to" then you'll soon find them for other states.

https://www.qct.edu.au/registration

The process is somewhat different between states but you are likely to need original copies of your degree and PGCE certificates, as well as recent police (ACRO) certificate, so make sure you have all of these before you leave the UK - and don't pack your certificates in with your shipping, like some have done! I recall that when I applied to the QCT it took a couple of months to get registered, so if you want to start teaching from the beginning of the academic year (around mid-January) then you should take that into consideration too.

If you're looking for jobs in state schools then just look at the government jobs website for the state you're going to. In QLD it's...

https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/

There are also lots of jobs in the private sector, which tend to be mostly in Catholic schools.

One word of advice; I'd avoid looking for Australian jobs on the TES website. They just relist jobs you can find advertised elsewhere and will try and get you to register with them and go through a whole load of rigmarole, which you don't need to.

Hope this helps!

16 hours ago, Slih01 said:

I think it's because you're asking only half the question.  

As Paul has said, you don't need to do a year of teaching to qualify for the skills assessment.  However, the visa process is a competitive business, exactly like applying for a job. Your application will be up against applications from teachers with more experience and more points.  Applying with minimum experience and minimum points would mean your chances of success would be slim.  Paul should be able to give you more information.

Also note that your PGCE must be organised by the university -- see the post below.

Edited by Marisawright