Fast track to PR

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I was at a BBQ on the weekend and someone was saying that one of their colleagues on a 482 visa managed to get PR after 3 months of being in OZ. Apparently they lodged an EOI for a skills assessment whilst on shore and gained PR that way. Can any migration agents confirm if this is actually achievable as my understanding of the rules with a Subclass 482 is that you have to have worked with your sponsored employer for 3 years before applying for PR?

Thanks 

52 minutes ago, Chris Pearson said:

my understanding of the rules with a Subclass 482 is that you have to have worked with your sponsored employer for 3 years before applying for PR?

If you need your employer to sponsor you for PR, then yes, you'll need to wait until you've 'served your time' on the 482.  The employer can't sponsor you for PR before then.

However, if you qualify to apply for PR in your own right, without employer sponsorship, and you're willing to pay the fees etc yourself, then you can apply immediately. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you need your employer to sponsor you for PR, then yes, you'll need to wait until you've 'served your time' on the 482.  The employer can't sponsor you for PR before then.

However, if you qualify to apply for PR in your own right, without employer sponsorship, and you're willing to pay the fees etc yourself, then you can apply immediately. 

Thanks Marisa. My skills and qualifications deem me eligible for PR and a quick check on the calculator scored me 90 points. I think I might explore this option and lodge an application myself instead of waiting another 2 years for my employer to nominate and ultimately tie me to them for another year. Gives me the freedom to work for any company I like without my employer having something over me as well. Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris Pearson said:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I was at a BBQ on the weekend and someone was saying that one of their colleagues on a 482 visa managed to get PR after 3 months of being in OZ. Apparently they lodged an EOI for a skills assessment whilst on shore and gained PR that way. Can any migration agents confirm if this is actually achievable as my understanding of the rules with a Subclass 482 is that you have to have worked with your sponsored employer for 3 years before applying for PR?

Yes it is possible depending on your occupation.

Holding a subclass 482 visa does not stop you lodging an EOI for another visa such as a 189. 189 visas are taking about 3 months to process.

The three years on the 482 visa, is only if you are looking to apply for a 186 visa under the TRT pathway.