Worth a try ?

MasOzposs

Hi -

I’m 43 years old ACCA qualified for 20 years working as a Finance Director - husband 42 plasterer self employed for 20 years plus we have a 3 year old

Clean records looking to move to Perth (friends in the area) 

is it worth trying for the 189 given my age ? 

Your age won't be a consideration IF you can earn enough points in other ways.  However being over 40 makes it much more difficult to reach a good score, because you lose points the older you get.

Time is of the essence for you, because the cutoff for a visa is 45.  You don't have time to dither. Book a consultation with a good migration agent (Suncoast Migration or GoMatilda) now, and get the ball rolling.  They'll give you an honest assessment of whether you stand a chance. 

You’re at an identical position to me, I’ve been advised to forget about a 189 and go for a 491 or 190.

The only options seem to be South Australia, NT or Victoria for a 491 or Victoria for the 190.

im in the process of assessing the job market for newly arrived FDs/CFOs before putting the application in

Oh really ? have you used a migration agent I’m unsure what to do. 
Looks like a 189 for accountants is really competitive and you need to have high points my age definitely goes against me - I don’t really want to waste time applying for the 189 if it’s a pipe dream. Might even be better for me if we do it on my husbands skill instead. 

3 minutes ago, MasOzposs said:

Looks like a 189 for accountants is really competitive and you need to have high points my age definitely goes against me - I don’t really want to waste time applying for the 189 if it’s a pipe dream. Might even be better for me if we do it on my husbands skill instead. 

Have spoken to a couple just to get a view on the best approach so far.

if you are fixed on WA then I’d definitely suggest looking at what your husbands situation can give you.

15 minutes ago, Gavilon18 said:

Have spoken to a couple just to get a view on the best approach so far.

if you are fixed on WA then I’d definitely suggest looking at what your husbands situation can give you.

Makes sense for us to be close to friends - but I’ll look into SA (NT is a no for us) 

40 minutes ago, MasOzposs said:

It might be better if your husband does it but I’m no expert.  I strongly suggest you reach out to a migrant agent, there are many highly regarded ones on here.  It is such an important thing to get right.  Imagine getting it wrong when a professional could make sure you get it right, including which of you to apply.  

• Like 1

Yes absolutely understand - I’ll have a look at the recommended ones and see if any do a free or hour consultation first. To be honest from feedback I think using an agent is the best way because after hours and hours of reading the various websites I am not sure I am any clearer on what to do. As an accountant I’m used to things being black and white! 

14 hours ago, MasOzposs said:

Looks like a 189 for accountants is really competitive and you need to have high points ....Might even be better for me if we do it on my husbands skill instead. 

Yes, definitely.  Forget about seniority or employability or any of that stuff:  what matters is, which one of you can score the most points?  That's what matters.

Also, as Ausvisitor says, you get what you pay for.   It's becoming much less common for agents to offer a free consultation.

Ask the agents I recommended for a quote. You want more quotes, try Andre Burger & Associates and Pinoy Australia.  Otherwise, ring around and find someone who'll offer you a free consultation, but the likelihood is that they'll make encouraging noises at you -- after all, they can't make any money unless they persuade you to take the plunge.

Just because you have an initial consulation, doesn't mean you have to use them for the application itself.  

Edited by Marisawright

Hi MasOzposs

The reality is that most good RMA's are exceptionally busy at the moment and generally won't offer free consultations. It's not that they don't want your business, its a combination of offering free consults takes them away from doing work from fee paying clients. Also, under the code of conduct they are accountable for advice provided to you even if it is free. Personal details have to be recorded and documented which all takes time. 

What I would strongly suggest is that for a consult to be worthwhile for both parties, that you fill out a fact find or questionnaire which most agents use. This way, they can review the facts and will have had time to consider any potential pathways, strategies which may be applicable. This process means a consult can focus on solutions rather than data collection.

I hope this is helpful.

• Like 4