Location location location

JustJoe

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

My brother just sent me a link to a one bedroom unit for sale in Redcliffe or is it Redcliff? ($450k plus) He's stayed in the complex and says I would like it. It looks nice in the photos, possibly like one of the suburbs on Sydney's Northern Beaches?

I told him I'm not sure I want to start again. I've been in Surfers Paradise for nine months now, continually deferring returning to Sydney. I've got doctor, dentist, podiatrist that I like, made a few friends. Each time I move it's like emigrating again. You can commute to Brisbane from the Gold Coast but I wouldn't like to do it. 

I wondered what it would be like to live in a regional city like Toowoomba, Wollongong, Geelong. I talked to a guy from Ballarat or Bendigo (I always confuse them) and asked if commuting to Melbourne was do-able? He said yes. Cities like that are big enough to have all the services you want. The Gold Coast has all those services too. 

Geelong is very much in the Melbourne commuter belt - indeed the CBD is a shorter commute from Geelong than it is from many areas that are officially in Melbourne.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1

On 20/10/2022 at 19:57, Ken said:

Geelong is very much in the Melbourne commuter belt - indeed the CBD is a shorter commute from Geelong than it is from many areas that are officially in Melbourne.

Well yes, but there are suburbs that are “officially Melbourne” that many would regard as an unreasonable commute, too

• 3 weeks later...
My brother just sent me a link to a one bedroom unit for sale in Redcliffe or is it Redcliff? ($450k plus) He's stayed in the complex and says I would like it. It looks nice in the photos, possibly like one of the suburbs on Sydney's Northern Beaches?
I told him I'm not sure I want to start again. I've been in Surfers Paradise for nine months now, continually deferring returning to Sydney. I've got doctor, dentist, podiatrist that I like, made a few friends. Each time I move it's like emigrating again. You can commute to Brisbane from the Gold Coast but I wouldn't like to do it. 
I wondered what it would be like to live in a regional city like Toowoomba, Wollongong, Geelong. I talked to a guy from Ballarat or Bendigo (I always confuse them) and asked if commuting to Melbourne was do-able? He said yes. Cities like that are big enough to have all the services you want. The Gold Coast has all those services too. 

House market in geelong is bonkers, even still. Expect to pay top dollar for something decent if you can even find something decent

1 hour ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

House market in geelong is bonkers, even still. Expect to pay top dollar for something decent if you can even find something decent

Keep it in proportion though. Compared to an equivalent property in Melbourne it's still very reasonable.

Edited by Marisawright