Cars and motorcycles...

pob

I'm trying to understand the market in Australia.

I went to look at a motorcycle a few days ago, it was only a year old and few thousand k's on it.

The thing is the guy selling it wanted just about the same amount as he paid for it, even though it was him who had the pleasure of riding it off the showroom floor, he had the brand new brake pads, chain, tyres etc etc.

I could kind of tell that he is not getting that much interest from trying to sell it, yet he didn't want to move that much from his price. I wonder if it was because we are obviously new to the country? Or if he really believed his bike was worth that much? In the end I decided not to buy the bike, it didn't feel right.

I'm really not in the mood to haggle at the moment and told him this and just asked what his best price is. He didn't move from his advertised price.

So I guess that I will adding fifteen hundred dollars to my bike fund and buying new from a dealer, it seems like a better deal to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

He's trying to take advantage -- not necessarily of new migrants, but of the fact that people can't get their hands on a brand new bike.  I'm assuming bikes are like cars -- the current waiting list for a brand new car is several months.

There is a wait on new bikes, but I don't think it is like cars at the moment. There are a lot more computer chips on a new car than there are on a motorcycle, lots more sensors and what not.

I was just wondering what his deal was? And if that is just the market and how it operates.

He mentioned other people who were interested in the bike and where they were from, so I remembered the names of some of the places and googled them, is it common to get a vehicle transported around the country? Would someone buy a used vehicle sight unseen? All the "other" buyers were from ACT and Victoria and the bike is North of Sydney. I know this was the get in quick now before the other guy gets it ploy.

Oh well, I will keep on looking. Thanks for the advice.

I was also concerned about outstanding finance on the bike?

When you get a loan on a new car or bike is the loan attached to the vehicle or is it attached to the person? Or even their home?

Does anybody know how to check for this?

11 hours ago, pob said:

I'm trying to understand the market in Australia.

I went to look at a motorcycle a few days ago, it was only a year old and few thousand k's on it.

The thing is the guy selling it wanted just about the same amount as he paid for it, even though it was him who had the pleasure of riding it off the showroom floor, he had the brand new brake pads, chain, tyres etc etc.

I could kind of tell that he is not getting that much interest from trying to sell it, yet he didn't want to move that much from his price. I wonder if it was because we are obviously new to the country? Or if he really believed his bike was worth that much? In the end I decided not to buy the bike, it didn't feel right.

I'm really not in the mood to haggle at the moment and told him this and just asked what his best price is. He didn't move from his advertised price.

So I guess that I will adding fifteen hundred dollars to my bike fund and buying new from a dealer, it seems like a better deal to me.

Its the norm over here with near new items. Very different to the UK where you lose a few hundred (if not more) leaving the showroom.

Happens to vehicles, boats, even furniture and white goods, it may be only a few month old but the seller is still asking nearly the store cost. Hubby just bids them down and says ''i will give you $xxx'' , they either sell it to him or don't, its their choice and if they don't he will just search for another one. Quite a few times they have said no and messaged him a week later asking if he still wants it, lol. Bid them down and don't get ripped off, if they won't play, find another bike.

Cal x