Query on LCL (shared container) shipping

tigerstyle

Hi there, 

I know this is a little open ended, and the answer probably depends. But for those that have done a LCL shipping (shared 20ft container) did your stuff all have to be in one big box, or does the shipper take say 2 dozen loose boxes from you and repack a container themselves?

Trying to decide if we want to go down the LCL route, or the Severn Seas MoveCube for an upcoming move from NZ to QLD. I like the appeal of just a one and done MoveCube move. Rather than many boxes we have to sort out, I know the movecube will have those boxes inside though, it just feels different, more defined on what we are paying for, and focuses our hand on what we keep/dispose of, rather than boxing stuff we might not really need. 

And no doubt the answer isn't so clear cut, but anyones opinions on shared 20ft Vs MoveCube recently? 

Thanks! 😀

18 minutes ago, tigerstyle said:

Hi there, 

I know this is a little open ended, and the answer probably depends. But for those that have done a LCL shipping (shared 20ft container) did your stuff all have to be in one big box, or does the shipper take say 2 dozen loose boxes from you and repack a container themselves?

Trying to decide if we want to go down the LCL route, or the Severn Seas MoveCube for an upcoming move from NZ to QLD. I like the appeal of just a one and done MoveCube move. Rather than many boxes we have to sort out, I know the movecube will have those boxes inside though, it just feels different, more defined on what we are paying for, and focuses our hand on what we keep/dispose of, rather than boxing stuff we might not really need. 

And no doubt the answer isn't so clear cut, but anyones opinions on shared 20ft Vs MoveCube recently? 

Thanks! 😀

Mine was a shared container, around 50 boxes and a couple of items of furniture. No way will everything fit into one box! It wouldn't be movable, even if you can find a box large enough. The shippers collected in a truck, and how they got it into the container I don't know, but when delivered it was in the original boxes and packaging. 

• Like 1

It was a while ago when we sent our things by shared container but we had a few big boxes and a 4 tool boxes. It was mainly kitchen ware and kids stuff, except of course the hubbys tools. It all went well for us, everything arrived on time and in tact and i wouldnt hesitate to use that option again if ever the need arose.. The only real stipulation we had to abide to, was the weight each box/ item could be, hence hubbys 2 big tool boxes had to be split into 4 smaller ones, each locked with a key taped to the top. 

We packed our boxes ourselves ,each box labelled and when the shippers came ,they just put those boxes inside their company ones and labelled each with our name etc. I liked this as it allowed me to pack whilst doing the big de clutter over a few weeks.

Cal x

13 hours ago, calNgary said:

We packed our boxes ourselves ,each box labelled and when the shippers came ,they just put those boxes inside their company ones and labelled each with our name etc. I liked this as it allowed me to pack whilst doing the big de clutter over a few weeks.

Cal x

Did they specify dimensions of the boxes you used, so they’d fit inside theirs?

Most boxes are pretty standard sizes so I would worry I’d end up paying to ship a lot of empty space   that way

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Did they specify dimensions of the boxes you used, so they’d fit inside theirs?

Most boxes are pretty standard sizes so I would worry I’d end up paying to ship a lot of empty space   that way

No,, and any space left in 'their' boxes once ours had gone in was filled with towels, beddings or clothes we didn't want to bring in cases so there was no empty space. 

Cal x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

Depending how much you have see if you can find someone with a container with empty space. I found someone, put a few boxes in theirs. I saved money, they had some extra $. Everyone wins.

There is no way I'd let a complete stranger add their boxes to my shipment.  Could be anything. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

There is no way I'd let a complete stranger add their boxes to my shipment.  Could be anything. 

The opposite is also true.

I've heard of people doing similar, I imagine unless you get lucky with timing it would be very hard to orchestrate, but worth looking into!