UK > NSW - 190 visa feasibility? (Electronics Engineer)

Bristol90

Hi all - grateful for any insight/advice! I know lots on here are clued up on invitation stats & numbers in the visa queue... (p.s. where do I find this info?!)

I've looked extensively into options to move back to Sydney and I think 190 might be the best route (we used our 417 WHVs back in 2017). My boyfriend is an Electronics Engineer with 75 points (inc. NSW nomination). 28yrs, Masters degree in Electronics Engineering from UK university with 3 years experience in England. My question is - is this enough?!

I want to crack on with booking the IELTS & skills assessments needed for the points but I wanted to sense check the plan in case we're pouring money down the drain for a visa thats completely unattainable due to competition/demand. Can someone link me to where they show data from previous years?

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, Bristol90 said:

I want to crack on with booking the IELTS & skills assessments needed for the points but I wanted to sense check the plan in case we're pouring money down the drain for a visa thats completely unattainable due to competition/demand. Can someone link me to where they show data from previous years?

Data from previous years used to be useful. Now, you can't draw any meaningful conclusions from it, because one of the reasons they've been slow to reopen is that they wanted to review how Covid had affected the job market and whether needs had changed.  So the new quotas could be totally different for all we know. Also, there is a large backlog of applicants already in the queue, going all the way back to early 2020, so the best thing you can deduce is that competition will be more fierce than usual.

This site used to provide reports on the data but even it hasn't done any updating since 2019 by the looks of things, there's just not enough data to be statistically signfiicant:

https://iscah.com/will-get-189-invite-updated-predictions/

Westly is right, he's not just trying to drum up business.  It does cost money to book a one-off consultation with an agent, but it's certainly the quickest way to get a more accurate answer.

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks everyone for your help. I understand the backlog from 2020 is creating some fierce competition at the moment. I naively thought it would be a bit easier than this given Electronics Engineer was added to the NSW occupation/priority list in Dec 2021. I’m new to this blog but I will find a migration agent to speak to. 
I’m optimistically hoping the UK-Au free trade agreement will make it a bit easier for UK professionals in the near future (or at least allow us the third WHV to get our foot in the door to get over there and be able to work). 

43 minutes ago, Bristol90 said:

Thanks everyone for your help. I understand the backlog from 2020 is creating some fierce competition at the moment. I naively thought it would be a bit easier than this given Electronics Engineer was added to the NSW occupation/priority list in Dec 2021. I’m new to this blog but I will find a migration agent to speak to. 
I’m optimistically hoping the UK-Au free trade agreement will make it a bit easier for UK professionals in the near future (or at least allow us the third WHV to get our foot in the door to get over there and be able to work). 

Perhaps reach out to wrussell above who’s been a helpful agent on here for many years. 

14 hours ago, wrussell said:

Run your case past one of the registered migration agents who posts on this forum.

Hello, is there any way I’m able to speak to you about our case? Apologies I’m new to the forum so not sure how to message you privately! Many thanks in advance 

4 hours ago, wrussell said:

The priority list applies to employer nominated applications only.

Hey Westley,

My question with regards to this, is that on the processing times for 190 it says

"Applicants should be aware that points tested skilled migration visa applications that are not an occupation within a Critical Sector may exceed the average processing time. This is because each visa subclass contains applications that have a different processing priority. Occupations within a critical sector are given highest processing priority."

And for the life of me when i try and find critical sector information, it leads me back to the PMSOL, which says

"The Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) identifies 44 occupations which fill critical skills needs to support Australia’s economic recovery from COVID-19."

So although i understand the PMSOL is for employee sponsored visas, doesnt it also mean the critical skills on it mean you have priority processing on 190? Or is there another critical sector list i am missing?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Google for Ministerial Direction 92, which is the underlying basis for the processing priorities. 

Hey Paul,

Yep i did see the processing priorities. For example the relevent items on the list being

2. Occupations within a Critical Sector
9. Subclass 190 (Skilled - Nominated)

What i took from the Global processing times information is, you cant compare processing times between 190 non critical and 190 critical. As 190 critical is 2nd whereras 190 non critical is 9th. Is this the correct understanding?
Also i still have the issue in that i cant find anywhere what 'critical sector' is defined as other than the PMSOL listing. So is that the same? Meaning being on the PMSOL will also quicken up your 190 processing.

I understand in the end knowing any of this doesnt mean anything and the application will be assessed when it is, im just intrigued as to whether being on the PMSOL actually will quicken up 190 processing.

Thanks!

Edited by draeb

• 3 weeks later...