Advice needed please

Lau In Aus

Good Evening

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer for my sister in law.

Currently my sister in law is living in the UK and has a UK Passport. She would like to emigrate to Perth to join her family here. The only other family she is has is one half brother (estranged).

She is a qualified aged carer and has potentially secured a job offer in Australia but needs to sort out a visa. She is in her mid 50s. 

We are thinking of options like a skills shortage visa, work visa, last remaining relative? But really don’t know the ins and outs. Thank you so much. 

7 hours ago, Lau In Aus said:

Currently my sister in law is living in the UK and has a UK Passport. She would like to emigrate to Perth to join her family here. .... She is in her mid 50s. 

The bad news is that she probably can't.   The cutoff for permanent skilled visas is 45.   The other option (last remaining relative) has a waiting time of about 30 years.

If she has a job offer, she can get a 482 temporary visa, sponsored by an employer.  It will be up to the employer to get the ball rolling, not her.  That will let her stay and work for 2 to 4 years (depending what the employer is offering), and they can renew the contract for another 2 to 4 years.  After that, she'll have to go home.

Unfortunately for her, Australia makes it very difficult for older people to migrate, because they cost the government too much money.  Someone in their 50s may work only another 10 or 15 years, and then they're going to be retired for 20 or more years collecting the pension, claiming pensioner benefits (cheap prescriptions, etc), and costing a fortune in medical care (an elderly person costs Medicare 4 times as much as a young person).  

I cannot see there is any way she can emigrate.  Many people want to but it’s only possible for some.  The best thing to do is reach out to a migrate agent (some excellent ones on here) who will give you honest answers.  It may not be what you want to hear but the sooner you know one way or another the better.