Resident Return Visa

Cantabrigian

Hello - I haven't been on the forum for a long time, I had long given up on returning to Australia, spent many months regretting not making the move, eventually began to let go and move on.  I still had the part of me that always wondered what might have been.

Unexpectedly I have given a job offer in Australia.and now am wondering if anyone could help with the following questions.

1. I havent't entered Australia since 2011, would I be ineligible to apply ?  I did have an RRV granted for 12 months in 2013 but didn't make it back, I wondered if that may allow me to apply.

2. I will have the job and my reasons for absence were driven by my wife's mother last 10 year battle with dementia she passed March 2021

Any advice would be very appreciated. I know its asking a lot.

I would happily use a migration agent but unless I need to answer the eligibility.

Thanks for reading 

14 hours ago, Cantabrigian said:

1. I havent't entered Australia since 2011, would I be ineligible to apply ?  I did have an RRV granted for 12 months in 2013 but didn't make it back, I wondered if that may allow me to apply.

As far as I know, if you've had PR in the past, it doesn't matter how long ago it was.  Full list of eligibility criteria here:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/resident-return-visa-155-157#Eligibility

You do have to demonstrate 'substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia'.  I think that having a job offer is a big plus there, but I'd still definitely get an agent to help with putting together your case.  Ideally you'd want to show ongoing ties.

Processing times are currently given as about 3 months or less, which sounds about right.  I don't know what, if any, options are available for you to come and start your job before the RRV is granted - that's another thing a good agent could advise on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrandpaGrumble said:

As far as I know, if you've had PR in the past, it doesn't matter how long ago it was.

Yes, but there are some quirks around where you need to be when you apply based on the time away and whether you travelled on a temporary visa in the interim. 

19 hours ago, Cantabrigian said:

I would happily use a migration agent but unless I need to answer the eligibility.

An important part of an agent’s role is to provide that informed opinion on eligibility and likely outcome, as well as helping craft the application. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all your replies. I am going to weigh it up over the next few days.

I never thought I would be in this position, I had accepted what fate brought me, took me years but I always yearned for Australia. Also having an 8 year old daughter I would love to give her the opportunity.

I really appreciate your time  🙏

59 minutes ago, Cantabrigian said:

Thanks so much for all your replies. I am going to weigh it up over the next few days.

I never thought I would be in this position, I had accepted what fate brought me, took me years but I always yearned for Australia. Also having an 8 year old daughter I would love to give her the opportunity.

Your daughter will further complicate matters as she doesn't hold a visa.  A one-off consultation with Paul Hand (who replied above) would be worth the investment IMO.

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

Yes, but there are some quirks around where you need to be when you apply based on the time away and whether you travelled on a temporary visa in the interim. 

An important part of an agent’s role is to provide that informed opinion on eligibility and likely outcome, as well as helping craft the application. 

I haven't been back on any temporary visas. I would apply from UK. Happily use a migration agent although I've always done all my own applications. I've no problem paying for it, would consider it money well spent if I got the visa, suppose being brutally honest, just don't want a hefty bill and nothing at the end of it.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Your daughter will further complicate matters as she doesn't hold a visa.  A one-off consultation with Paul Hand (who replied above) would be worth the investment IMO.

My wife and I are both former visa holders. When I applied and received an RRV in 2014 she was on that application. But you're right I need good advice. 

• 9 months later...

Just wondering what the outcome was for you Cantabrigian? I’m looking at similar circumstances for a RRV as my 5yr PR 189 expired during COVID lockdown in 2020 after only managing a visa activation trip in 2015, and I’m only now able to open up story again…

Thanks 

On 23/12/2022 at 11:04, sm02fly said:

Just wondering what the outcome was for you Cantabrigian? I’m looking at similar circumstances for a RRV as my 5yr PR 189 expired during COVID lockdown in 2020 after only managing a visa activation trip in 2015, and I’m only now able to open up story again…

It doesn't sound good, TBH.   The decision will hinge on whether you have "strong ties with Australia of benefit to the country" (or words to that effect).  Do you have close family in Oz?  A job offer?  Any other ties with the country?  

If you can't demonstrate those strong ties, then they won't even consider your reasons for not meeting the deadline, no matter how compelling they were.   While the borders were closed they were making exceptions, but they've been open a long time, so I doubt that's the case now (unless some of our resident agents know different).   

Edited by Marisawright

On 27/12/2022 at 03:51, Marisawright said:

It doesn't sound good, TBH.   The decision will hinge on whether you have "strong ties with Australia of benefit to the country" (or words to that effect).  Do you have close family in Oz?  A job offer?  Any other ties with the country?  

If you can't demonstrate those strong ties, then they won't even consider your reasons for not meeting the deadline, no matter how compelling they were.   While the borders were closed they were making exceptions, but they've been open a long time, so I doubt that's the case now (unless some of our resident agents know different).   

At a minimum between my wife and I we would be able to have one job offer (healthcare and IT) when the time comes. which hopefully would be sufficient. No other family ties to any Australian citizens.

16 hours ago, sm02fly said:

At a minimum between my wife and I we would be able to have one job offer (healthcare and IT) when the time comes. which hopefully would be sufficient. No other family ties to any Australian citizens.

A formal job offer In hand is a very good place to start …

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

A job offer isn't an ongoing tie so it may not be enough.  

According to IMMI's website it is pretty good:

Employment ties documents

• employment contracts
  • a letter of offer from an employer
  • recent official documents such as group certificates and payslips
  • employee identification or security pass.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/resident-return-visa-155-157#HowTo

• Thanks 1