the woes of england

Guest tim_the_taf

Guest moonraker1961

I think what concerns me personally is the fact that if I returned to where I used to live (small country town in S.A)we might find it now really hard to survive financially which is a real shame as thats where my mates are and where my kids grew up.At that time (when I left 10 years ago)things were becoming expensive.We have a comfortable life here,can't deny that,and what if we return to throw ourselves into hardship?That worries me alot actually.I have really fond memories of that time in oz and I am scared I will be disappointed when and if we go back?Time moves on,and everything changes.I am not a city slicker so moving to a "burb"is not an option for us.I don't know what the answer is.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pinhead
I think what concerns me personally is the fact that if I returned to where I used to live (small country town in S.A)we might find it now really hard to survive financially which is a real shame as thats where my mates are and where my kids grew up.At that time (when I left 10 years ago)things were becoming expensive.We have a comfortable life here,can't deny that,and what if we return to throw ourselves into hardship?That worries me alot actually.I have really fond memories of that time in oz and I am scared I will be disappointed when and if we go back?Time moves on,and everything changes.I am not a city slicker so moving to a "burb"is not an option for us.I don't know what the answer is.

It's the same the world over I'm affraid. Housing, energy & food costs have risen considerably all over the world. Perhaps a recession is not such a bad thing in that respect?

Guest earlswood

You can make a great life for yourself wherever you live if you have the mindset to do it…do not listen to all the rubbish the media spew out to sell papers and get ratings….good news does not sell….good luck whatever you do.

Guest Pinhead

You can make a great life for yourself wherever you live if you have the mindset to do it…do not listen to all the rubbish the media spew out to sell papers and get ratings….good news does not sell….good luck whatever you do.

You mean like you are in Perth?

All you do is whinge and moan, great example. Try practicing what you preach.

Guest moonraker1961

You know what I do?For probably the past year I now avoid watching/listening to the news as much as possible.Call it ignorance,but its bliss lol Thanks Earlswood xxxx

You mean like you are in Perth?

All you do is whinge and moan, great example. Try practicing what you preach.

Blimey pinhead that took you just 2 minuets to jump on earlswood's post

Guest earlswood
Blimey pinhead that took you just 2 minuets to jump on earlswood's post

:twitcy: I get used to it mate...he is a sad man.

Guest sweetpea0701
Just got back from a hol to the UK. We're going back home at Christmas, Perth's too expensive. BUT anyone thinking of going back; gas and electricity prices are soaring, food prices have risen like crazy, beer is well over £3 a pint, the M25 is still there, Gordon Brown is still PM, diesel is £1.35/ litre and house prices are plummeting. The good things - 2nd hand cars have also plummeted in value (good for us returning), beer is still better and cheaper than here, and houses are cheaper than Perth. The weather's still crap though. Anyone want to buy a 4 bed house worth of furniture, all only 9 months old ????:smile:

Hi There,

You still going back home @ Christmas ?

We arrive in Perth on 12th November, with nothing but our suitcases....

So, if you are still looking to get rid of stuff we may be interested...

Whereabouts in Perth are you?

• 3 weeks later...
For god's sake don't come to Adelaide! House prices are comparetively cheaper, but still high and my life, is it boring?! (as the Lightning Seeds once sang 'feels like I'm living in a town closed down for winter'!)

We're looking at going back to UK next year, not only for personal reasons (missing family and friends, schooling for our daughter, a decent social life!) but also even with the money we made on our house (fortunate to get out in time) on just OH's wage we would really struggle to buy anything decent (and I certainly didn't come all this way to live in something I don't like!). I'm struggling to look for work as I don't drive (a real must over here) I'm constrained by school hours and as we are still on a temp work visa, some types of positions won't entertain me (ie: banks, government) with the type of work I've always done, this is proving really tricky. As my last job in UK was in a bank, it's something I could get straight back into (probably even get my old job back) and I only went to work in the UK for the 'extras' in life. I've never been so consious of looking at the price of things or worrying if we can afford a take away before. We had a comfortable life with plenty of holidays and lots of new shoes!!!!

We've pretty much made the decision to return, but are going to give ourselves a nice hot Aussie summer first.

Oh blimey, I've rambled on again (probably because I can always afford the wine!) :cute:

Hi, i'm with you all the way. I agree agree and agree with everything you said! Even down to doing a hot summer here and then heading home. And don't worry about rambling on after a few wines..we need the wine to get through all this!!!!

It depends where you live, not if you live in London. From a previous thread I started.

Mercer's 2008 Cost of Living survey highlights

For those of you who are interested in a comparison of the cost of living across the world the above link is an international survey carried out by Mercer comparing 200 items & 143 countries. Note one of the big impactors on this survey are currency movements (ie weakening of GBP makes UK cheaper strength AUD makes Oz more expensive)

Moscow is the most expensive with Tokyo 2nd.

London is down 1 place to 3rd

Sydney is up 6 places to 15th

Melbourne is up 28 places to to 36th

All the other major aussie cities are outside the top 50

Thats really interesting and if anyone has ever been to London and bought a can of coke they would know it to be true. The commentators at the Olympics pointed out that in the Olympic village you could by an icecream or a drink for 30-40 pence, whereas is the London Olympics they are forcasting it to be more like £3.00-£4.00!:sad:

Guest fabadababa

What a fun thread! I think it went slightly off tangent with all the Earslwood bashing but never mind...

Anyway, what bothers me is this - on some of the threads, people are saying that it's boring and there's nothing to do. Is this felt by a lot of people?? My intention was to bring my kids up in (hopefully) Melbourne because it seems to have quite a diverse culture, good opportunities for the kids, a mix of weather (we don't want the incessant heat of other cities), etc etc. Is anyone on this thread in Melbourne?? What are your thoughts?

I know it's getting more expensive but that's the case the world over, so that's not something that's a huge issue to us at the mo. We don't expect to be better off financially in Oz - we just want a better quality of life for the kids.

Thoughts please!

Archived