the woes of england

Guest tim_the_taf

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sam&Si

Durrr....that was exactly my point. Your previous post, rather patronisingly, suggested that people get their local tree surgeons drop off logs free of charge to burn in wood-burners....My point is that not everyone is fortunate enough to live in a house, never mind one that is an area that tree surgeons actually work in.

Guest Sandra,Mike and boys
The Cotswolds is a lovely way of life...my husbands parents used to live there and when we visited it seemed like another way of life....but unfortunately not everyone could live there, certainly not us.

Hi Wendy

I of course agree with you, Brisbane here we come. If you remember leave your contact details with dale and fran and we can hopefully meet up once we arrive

S X

Originally posted by Earlswood

pint of Pedigree £1,49, pints of Fosters, Coors Light, bottles of Budweiser, Zwyiec, Smirnoff Ice or 175ml glass of Fetzer Coldwater Creek £1.59, pints of Guinness £1.79, bottles of Bulmers £1.99, double smirnoff & red bull £2.99, Beck's Alcohol Free or J2O 0.99

The Union Rooms

Real Ales only £1.79 for Guest Ales, Greene King IPA £1.59, Marston's Pedigree £1.69 or Abbot Ale £1.79. Taste any 3 Ales for £1.79 (all third pints sold as single units

These prices are quoted are Happy Hour(get them in thencharge lots of dosh later prices), Monday and Wednesday specials. I seem to remember from my mis -spent days as a student nurse that these nights were where the expression 'dead quiet' came from as that was the amount of life in the local on those nights!

I'm not much of a drinker these days,2 lil'uns put paid to most of that, so I can't quote local prices for a pint.

I do know that last time I went out for a drink with my mates that I felt like I may have to extend the Mortgage

LOL!

I'm sure this is the same most places these days its a good job I only need one to get me drunk these days (not saying how big or what of)!!!:wacko:

Guest earlswood

Originally posted by Earlswood

pint of Pedigree £1,49, pints of Fosters, Coors Light, bottles of Budweiser, Zwyiec, Smirnoff Ice or 175ml glass of Fetzer Coldwater Creek £1.59, pints of Guinness £1.79, bottles of Bulmers £1.99, double smirnoff & red bull £2.99, Beck's Alcohol Free or J2O 0.99

The Union Rooms

Real Ales only £1.79 for Guest Ales, Greene King IPA £1.59, Marston's Pedigree £1.69 or Abbot Ale £1.79. Taste any 3 Ales for £1.79 (all third pints sold as single units

These prices are quoted are Happy Hour(get them in thencharge lots of dosh later prices), Monday and Wednesday specials. I seem to remember from my mis -spent days as a student nurse that these nights were where the expression 'dead quiet' came from as that was the amount of life in the local on those nights!

I'm not much of a drinker these days,2 lil'uns put paid to most of that, so I can't quote local prices for a pint.

I do know that last time I went out for a drink with my mates that I felt like I may have to extend the Mortgage

LOL!

I'm sure this is the same most places these days its a good job I only need one to get me drunk these days (not saying how big or what of)!!!:wacko:

Wrong....these prices are in any wetherspoons at all times of the day...they change all the day and you just switch your brew to suit the offer...never paid more than £1.30 whe I was in London 2 years ago.

As I said I dont get out much these days.

Perhaps I'll have to give it a go!!

How much for a red witch these days?

Guest Robert
Wetherspoons beer £1.49 a pint or cheaper......Australia at least £5 a pint.....nuff said.

At LEAST £5 a pint in Australia !!! Where do you drink ?

Most RSL's are about $2 a schooner, that's about £1.30 a pint.

I suppose if you drink at www.monties.com.au, an Imported Stella at $5 for 285ml, is closer, at £4.80 a pint.

But most average drinkers go for local beers in local drinking places, with happy hours that last 3-4 hours :)

Guest moonraker1961

I agree with Earlswood,we go in our Wetherspoons probably once a week and those prices are not happy hour.

The guardian newspaper amongst others.

Price of a pint 'could rise 60%' | Business | guardian.co.uk

Average price of lager last November £2.50, bitter £2.20. At the time they were forecasting rises of 60% taking the price to £4.

Report on the BBC today about how many pubs are closing in the UK not only in the countryside but also the cities due to a large reduction in the number of pints sold. Too many people are buying from supermarkets and drinking at home.

Another British institution at risk?

er who was it that said "don't believe all you read in the papers"?

why does it not surprise me that you are a guardian reader.....

just out of interest, when was you last in Australia pinhead ?

Guest Pinhead

I don't read the guardian, I read the Financial Times. It's a big thing called the internet,it has a lot of information on it from loads of different sources!

Guest earlswood
Very true. If everyone followed Earlswood example of wood burning heaters it would be an environmental disaster with the amount of soot and airbourne particles produced. There is no cheap way to heat your home in the UK that is environmentally sound and sustainable unless you can grow your on biofuel in your own fields!

Pints of beer are no longer £1.50 in Wetherspoons, shows how out of touch he is!

Besides who wants to drink warm ale anyway?

Burning wood is considered CARBON NEUTRAL as the carbon released during burning is only what the tree has absorbed while it was growing.

Using wood from managed forests is a renewable energy source and reduces the need for fossil fuels or nuclear power stations.

Guest Pinhead

Burning wood is considered CARBON NEUTRAL as the carbon released during burning is only what the tree has absorbed while it was growing.

Using wood from managed forests is a renewable energy source and reduces the need for fossil fuels or nuclear power stations.

LOL! Soot and airbourne particles have nothing to do with being carbon neutral you plank!:biglaugh:

Never heard of air quality or smog? I think the asthma suffers would notice if we all went over to burning wood instead of GSH!

Carry on googling, it seems you have nothing better to do with your time.

Guest earlswood
]LOL! Soot and airbourne particles[/b] have nothing to do with being carbon neutral you plank!

Never heard of air quality or smog? I think the asthma suffers would notice if we all went over to burning wood instead of GSH!

Carry on googling' date=' it seems you have nothing better to do with your time.[/quote']

You Muppet...:biglaugh:modern log burners burn CLEAN...they have to or they would not be allowed to be sold......thick plank.

Guest P.Ross
You Muppet...:biglaugh:modern log burners burn CLEAN...they have to or they would not be allowed to be sold......thick plank.

Why so angry? Pinhead managed to make his point without name calling - why can't you?

:no:

Guest earlswood
Why so angry? Pinhead managed to make his point without name calling - why can't you?

Have you read all the thread lad.

Guest earlswood

You kidding:biglaugh: read his answers in the thread to me....then come back.....

Guest Pinhead

Earlswood you seem awfully well informed on the delivering logs & wood burning heaters.

Did you deliver logs instead of a paper round?

Have you been kidding us all along about being an electrician, iron man, bar man, bouncer, model, mountain climber, trainspotter?:shocked:

Guest P.Ross
You kidding:biglaugh: read his answers in the thread to me....then come back.....

Sorry Earls - not found any posts on this thread where Pinhead has called you names.

Guest earlswood
Earlswood you seem awfully well informed on the delivering logs & wood burning heaters.

Did you deliver logs instead of a paper round?

Have you been kidding us all along about being an electrician, iron man, bar man, bouncer, model, mountain climber, trainspotter?:shocked:

Cut them two out and you have me spot on.............ohhhhhhh.....add motorbike courier.

Guest beermeister
, food prices have risen like crazy, beer is well over £3 a pint, the M25 is still there,

Find your local Witherspoons...no music...cheap food and beer at less than £1.50 a pint....sorted.

Yay, Witherspoons - all the ambiance of an airport lounge; think I'd rather save my £1.50 for 2 cans of Asda home brand ale and drink it all by myself.......either that or poke red hot needles in my eyes.

Guest moonraker1961

Well our local Witherspoons is usually packed to the hilt,so I guess all these locals like airport lounges,us included!(We drink elsewhere as well lol )

Guest earlswood
Yay, Witherspoons - all the ambiance of an airport lounge; think I'd rather save my £1.50 for 2 cans of Asda home brand ale and drink it all by myself.......either that or poke red hot needles in my eyes.

Yeh...wetherspoons is not really geared to old sad farts....you stick to your 2 cans of Asda mild and drinking it on your own mate..:yes:

Archived