Applying for visitor visa while waiting for another visa outcome.

Elayna

Has anyone recently applied for a visitor visa while waiting for a visa outcome of another visa.  Interested on people that have done this. My husband essentially is eligible for a visitor visa based on being immediate family if we apply for exemption but we have a partner visa in progress for 20 months at the moment. Thank you in advance. 

I was reading through some of the conditions Paul of a 600 which talks about not getting the visa if you are needing to then get a other new substantive  visa. I know the optimum word here is new or would it be safer to get the 601 visa and then apply for a bridging visa A. Until his partner visa comes through. We are just worried they are taking their sweet time over the health Waiver 4007.  Feels like we are so close yet so far. 

5 hours ago, Elayna said:

I was reading through some of the conditions Paul of a 600 which talks about not getting the visa if you are needing to then get a other new substantive  visa. I know the optimum word here is new or would it be safer to get the 601 visa and then apply for a bridging visa A. Until his partner visa comes through. We are just worried they are taking their sweet time over the health Waiver 4007.  Feels like we are so close yet so far. 

It's very common for people to get a visitor visa while waiting for a permanent visa.   The risk is that a new visa always cancels a previous one.  So for instance, let's say you applied for the visitor visa today, and his partner visa comes through tomorrow.  You're so excited, you don't think to withdraw the visitor visa application.  The visitor visa comes through next day,  and that automatically cancels the partner visa!

Anyway, you can't get a bridging visa A because you can't get a bridging visa for an offshore visa.  They allowed it for a while, when the borders were closed, because people couldn't leave - but that's not a problem now. TBH, it doesn't sound like they're taking an unusual length of time over the health waiver, they always look into those very carefully so it does take time.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Anyway, you can't get a bridging visa A because you can't get a bridging visa for an offshore visa.  They allowed it for a while, when the borders were closed, because people couldn't leave - but that's not a problem now.

The onshore grant concession for some offshore visas (which drives bridging visa eligibility) is still in place at the moment. It has, actually, always been possible to get a bridging visa for an offshore partner visa if certain other criteria are also met, but it’s not automatic like an onshore application and they don’t have nil conditions. 

• Like 2