Medicare Entitlement Statement

WinterBench

1 hour ago, WinterBench said:

Hi everyone, 

I applied for my MES on 13th July and heard back on 12th Aug, requesting for more documents. I emailed everything again on 12th Aug and have not received anything yet. With the deadline for tax returns so close, I am starting to get worried. Has everyone been receiving their MES? 

No worry. Just wait a few days.

1 hour ago, WinterBench said:

5 hours ago, WinterBench said:

Hi everyone, 

I applied for my MES on 13th July and heard back on 12th Aug, requesting for more documents. I emailed everything again on 12th Aug and have not received anything yet. With the deadline for tax returns so close, I am starting to get worried. Has everyone been receiving their MES? 

So close? You've got 6 weeks if you're lodging it yourself or 8 months (does vary by individual though so you should check) if lodging via an agent. I think you've got time yet. Besides if your tax return is late the ATO aren't going to refuse to accept it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/09/2021 at 18:14, Ken said:

So close? You've got 6 weeks if you're lodging it yourself or 8 months (does vary by individual though so you should check) if lodging via an agent. I think you've got time yet. Besides if your tax return is late the ATO aren't going to refuse to accept it!

Hi, I have still yet to receive it but I can calculate the number of days that I was exempted from the full 2% levy based on when I received my interim medicare card. Should I go to a tax agent or proceed with my tax return? 

On 14/10/2021 at 13:44, BusbyBoo said:

Feel free to correct me, but it isn’t it normally pre loaded at the ATO theses days?

I've yet to see a Medicare Entitlement Statement pre-loaded at the ATO - but obviously they are rare so perhaps they've started doing it without me noticing. The only information at the ATO is on how to apply for it, that it can take 6 weeks and you shouldn't lodge before you receive it. No mention of whether or not the ATO will put it on the Prefill once they receive their copy.

On 14/10/2021 at 11:44, WinterBench said:

Hi, I have still yet to receive it but I can calculate the number of days that I was exempted from the full 2% levy based on when I received my interim medicare card. Should I go to a tax agent or proceed with my tax return? 

No harm in registering with a tax agent. You will still need to wait for your MES before lodging but it will give you a lot longer before your return is late and if it's worrying you that might save you from some sleepless nights!

19 hours ago, Ken said:

No harm in registering with a tax agent. You will still need to wait for your MES before lodging but it will give you a lot longer before your return is late and if it's worrying you that might save you from some sleepless nights!

What about lodging the returns now, pay the Medicare surcharge, and then filing an amendment once the MES comes through?

1 hour ago, rtritudr said:

What about lodging the returns now, pay the Medicare surcharge, and then filing an amendment once the MES comes through?

As a tax agent I can't ethically condone lodging a tax return that you know is wrong.