Child 101 visa - possible to arrive on tourist e-visa prior to application decision?

AdrianAdrian

Dear all,

I am new here and have tried to look for some info on this forum via the search bar, but so far I have not had much success. Hence the query here. Maybe somebody has experience with a similar issue and can shed some light on it...

Basically, my wife and I, both British, have PR and lived in Victoria in 2019 but in Dec 2019 we came back to Europe for personal reasons and then the pandemic hit. Since then, we have been unable to return to Australia, and now we are expecting our first baby (yuhu! Smelly nappies and blood-shot eyes here we come!) We would like to return to Australia by July 2022, as I may be starting a new job in Vic then. However, our baby is only due to be born this December, giving us only approx 7 months to apply for a PR child visa before the job begins. Therefore we have two options I believe, a child 101 visa or the child 802 visa, meaning the baby will also receive PR.

Does anybody have experience taking either of the two visa paths for the child:

1 - apply for the child 101 offshore, and then head to Australia with the baby on a tourist visa, until the 101 is approved?

2 - travel to Australia with the baby on a tourist visa (with private health insurance for the little one, or trying to get the baby on medicare) and then apply for the onshore 802 visa?

Both the 101 and the 802 seem to have incredibly long processing times, more than 12 months, and well, my employer might not let me wait so long. I do now want to leave my wife with the baby whilst I go to Australia and wait for the visa decision, in case somebody suggests that. If we do not return to Australia by July 2023, our PR expires, so we need to somehow expedite the process if at all possible.

Any help, pointers, tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

A

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately no, not managed to get anywhere to be honest. Heard a few people mention a 600 tourist visa, but that is about it. Will look into speaking to a migration agent in the new year once our baby has its passport.

Good luck and hope you get things sorted before January.

Regards,

Adrian

3 hours ago, AdrianAdrian said:

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately no, not managed to get anywhere to be honest. Heard a few people mention a 600 tourist visa, but that is about it. Will look into speaking to a migration agent in the new year once our baby has its passport.

Good luck and hope you get things sorted before January.

Regards,

Adrian

I suggest you start planning now … these things always take longer than expected. 

21 hours ago, paulhand said:

I suggest you start planning now … these things always take longer than expected. 

Taking 21 - 34 months for the child 101 visa means our PR will have expired by then (exp July 23). But we can't do much anyway until he is born and we have his birth cert, so that we can apply for his UK passport. 

5 hours ago, AdrianAdrian said:

Taking 21 - 34 months for the child 101 visa means our PR will have expired by then (exp July 23). But we can't do much anyway until he is born and we have his birth cert, so that we can apply for his UK passport. 

Yes you can. You can hire that agent now, so you’ve got all the right information in your hands ready to go. It will also put your mind at rest to know you’ve got the solution. Paul Hand who posted above is an experienced agent 

16 hours ago, AdrianAdrian said:

Did your child also have to have a medical examination? Not sure how we will arrange one with the paper application as we need this HAP ID.

Somebody also mentioned that the parents need to get new police checks, even if they already have PR. Was this also true in your case?

We are yet to come to that stage. The guidelines have put a 'may' for health checks and police clearance; so I am not sure about that.

Hi Adrian although our situation is slightly different some info  we found might help you. We needed PR for our two children both myself partner and eldest had PR and we are in uk .We  however had to go down  The adoption visa route yes we had to do police checks and Medicals for both children these were full Medicals and included blood test and all ! I believe it’s different for the child one as our eldest at the time only had the basic medical !! Submitted feb 2021 Medicals sept 2021 and 2x visa received end sept or beginning Oct ! Vey quick compared to stated times on main website . We used a agent and we glad we did  as we would have missed some info ! Good luck with your new arrival x

On 14/11/2021 at 12:23, Leeds girl said:

Hi Adrian although our situation is slightly different some info  we found might help you. We needed PR for our two children both myself partner and eldest had PR and we are in uk .We  however had to go down  The adoption visa route yes we had to do police checks and Medicals for both children these were full Medicals and included blood test and all ! I believe it’s different for the child one as our eldest at the time only had the basic medical !! Submitted feb 2021 Medicals sept 2021 and 2x visa received end sept or beginning Oct ! Vey quick compared to stated times on main website . We used a agent and we glad we did  as we would have missed some info ! Good luck with your new arrival x

Thanks for that! 6 months seems much quicker than the stated times on the website. Fingers crossed ours can be processed as quickly!

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2021 at 19:26, PrSub said:

We are yet to come to that stage. The guidelines have put a 'may' for health checks and police clearance; so I am not sure about that.

On 14/11/2021 at 02:32, AdrianAdrian said:

Did your child also have to have a medical examination? Not sure how we will arrange one with the paper application as we need this HAP ID.

Somebody also mentioned that the parents need to get new police checks, even if they already have PR. Was this also true in your case?

We did it 5 years ago and there was a medical test. We did paper based application as well and we received an email with the HAP ID to set up medicals. Yes we had to get police checks done again even even though we had PR. Luckily the entire process took less than 2 months for us but again things are different now. We had applied tourist visa parallelly for our daughter in case PR did not come through but again the PR was approved soon, so we were told to withdraw the tourist visa application.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update from me - our son's 101 PR visa has now been approved.

We applied for our son's visa at the start of February and it was approved today, meaning it took a little over four months. After submitting all the initial documents, we were subsequently asked to submit a health check for him and also police checks from myself and his mother. This delayed the process a little, but nonetheless, a turn around of four months is pretty decent considering at least 25% of applications can take up to 9 months to process according to the homeaffairs website. Our son was only born at the end of last year, so I imagine because he is still so young, there wasn't that much documentation needed which therefore expedited the process.

Good luck to anybody else who is looking to take this visa route and maybe see you Down Under one day in the future.