Child Citizenship via descent / Visa?

Laf4150

We are due to be moving to Australia in January, and we aren’t sure the best way for our daughter born in June to enter. It took 8 months for our sons citizenship via descent to come through and so don’t expect to be able to get daughters in time. (Not helped by the fact there had been such a delay in registering her birth!) we’re going to get a British passport for her, but not sure what visa is best to get to enter Australia whilst we wait for her citizenship to come through. Do we just get an e visa? What would happen if she didn’t have her citizenship through before that runs out? Is there a better visa to go for? Any recommendations of who to speak to? Any advise would be gratefully received TIA

Hi. I applied for my daughters to get the citizenship. I got an email in a couple of weeks saying they were approved and I can apply for a passport using the reference given in the approval email. 
We had to apply for the certificate separately. This is still yet to come and has been about 2 months.

hope this helps

10 hours ago, Marcrobi said:

Hi. I applied for my daughters to get the citizenship. I got an email in a couple of weeks saying they were approved and I can apply for a passport using the reference given in the approval email. 
We had to apply for the certificate separately. This is still yet to come and has been about 2 months.

hope this helps

I also got my sons extremely quickly, I think his citizenship certificate arrived less than 2 months after he was born from Australia House. Was back in 2016 though

Surely the biggest hurdle will be actually getting permission to enter Australia yourself?  There are quotas on citizens coming home, at work we are struggling to get green passport holders home and they have priority over regular citizens 

2 hours ago, can1983 said:

Surely the biggest hurdle will be actually getting permission to enter Australia yourself?  

Australian citizens (and permanent residents) do not need ‘permission’ to enter Australia … they just need to be able to find a flight. 

13 hours ago, Laf4150 said:

Do we just get an e visa? What would happen if she didn’t have her citizenship through before that runs out? Is there a better visa to go for?

You could do that, but will need a travel exemption as well. Given your timeline, it should be possible to arrange the citizenship and passport … the High Commission seem to be processing  relatively smoothly at the moment. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marcrobi said:

hope this helps

Thank you. Applied for my sons August 2020, citizenship was approved April 2021 and applied for his passport from the approval letter,  and that only took 10 days! Hoping the citizenship bit will be a bit quicker this time round.

7 hours ago, paulhand said:

You could do that, but will need a travel exemption as well. Given your timeline, it should be possible to arrange the citizenship and passport … the High Commission seem to be processing  relatively smoothly at the moment. 

Thank you, fingers crossed things are moving a bit quicker than when I applied for my sons.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter is an Australian citizen, she is applying for a partner visa for her spouse. The family live in the UK.

Can anyone please advise, if she applies for citizenship for her two children, both under 10.

Do they need to have medicals or is it just pretty straightforward.

Thanks to all 

1 hour ago, Lostlily said:

My daughter is an Australian citizen, she is applying for a partner visa for her spouse. The family live in the UK.

Can anyone please advise, if she applies for citizenship for her two children, both under 10.

Do they need to have medicals or is it just pretty straightforward.

Thanks to all 

They shouldn't need medicals. It should be very straightforward for young children assuming your daughter was an Australian citizen before they were born.

Edited by Parley

4 hours ago, Parley said:

They shouldn't need medicals. It should be very straightforward for young children assuming your daughter was an Australian citizen before they were born.

Only if she is an Australian citizen by birth or, if by descent, has lived in the country for more than 3? Years before the birth of the child. 

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

or, if by descent, has lived in the country for more than 3? Years before the birth of the child. 

It’s 2 years and this can be after the child is born as long as the parent was a citizen at the time the child was born. 

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1

My boys citizenship by descent was granted within 1 month - earlier this year. Certificate arrived a few weeks later.. I am in the process of applying for their passports and and as far as I am aware it will mean an appt at the Australian embassy

On 17/08/2021 at 15:26, Laf4150 said:

Thank you. Applied for my sons August 2020, citizenship was approved April 2021 and applied for his passport from the approval letter,  and that only took 10 days! Hoping the citizenship bit will be a bit quicker this time round.

Thank you, fingers crossed things are moving a bit quicker than when I applied for my sons.

My boys application earlier this year only took 4 weeks to approve, certificate cam e a few weeks later. In process of doing their passport applications - which is a lot of repetition of info already given to get their citizenship. I am also under the impression that an appointment at the Australian embassy will be required - it was even when I renewed my expired Australian passport.