MOVING TO BRISBANE

Waldo

It's not impossible but it is a very tough market at the moment regardless of if you are a Pom or not.

Allow yourself a little more time to find and secure one and make sure you have all paperwork, ID, covering letter, proof of funds etc ready to go. If you pin point an area you really want to be in, chat to a few of the agents and try to befriend one who may help you out or give you a heads up of any becoming available

Cal x. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Waldo said:

CalNGary

thanks for that info really helpful.

when you look on Domain/Realestate there is loads available.

I guess that is just the process and that they have already gone?

regards

Pom or not you stand as much chance as anyone. Markets tough everywhere, Brisbane probably on par with Perth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Waldo said:

CalNGary

thanks for that info really helpful.

when you look on Domain/Realestate there is loads available.

I guess that is just the process and that they have already gone?

regards

Those sites are good to give you an idea of whats around in what price range, chances are though the property shown will have been let at the first inspection , if not prior.  Rentals around where i live are now very hard to secure and one of the main agents now posts on the local facebook page saying if one is coming available, she has normally secured a new tenant before it is even listed on Realestate. That's why i suggest trying to befriend a couple of agents straight away, blow smoke up their butts if it gets you a rental,lol.. Whatever you do, do not committ to one until you have viewed it, i have seen some i wouldn't house my dog in but on the pics it looks great.. 

Cal x

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

What is the buying market like?

I know people say to rent when you first move over in case you don't settle .

regards 

I reckon rentings a good call while you look at suburbs you might like. Google maps is excellent for doing research.

37 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

What is the buying market like?

I know people say to rent when you first move over in case you don't settle .

regards 

Pretty similar to the rental market ,in that houses are selling fast and some above the asking price.

Where will your jobs be located?

Cal x

Cal,

my wife will be located in the city as she is a banker I will be all over as I am a construction manager.

I like indooroopilly, North Lakes,  Bulimba and Ashgrove as suburbs. 

we have friends and family in these area’s

Im open to anywhere really

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Cal,

my wife will be located in the city as she is a banker I will be all over as I am a construction manager.

I like indooroopilly, North Lakes,  Bulimba and Ashgrove as suburbs. 

we have friends and family in these area’s

Im open to anywhere really

Thanks

I think you will find something that ticks your boxes as you are quite open minded in relation to suburbs which is great. We stayed in Chapel Hill which is next to Indooroopilly when we first came out here and its a nice suburb with easy highway access but too hilly for me,lol.. The best way to find an area you like is to drive, drive and drive some more.You never truly know until you see a place in person, before we came, we had planned on a suburb on the totally opposite side of Brisbane to where we ended up,lol. 

Personally if travelling to the city daily i think id be dropping North Lakes from your list, mainly for traffic reasons.

Cal x

• Like 2

What Cal says. It only takes a minor bingle on the highway or North Lakes Access (only two ways in or out) and the commute becomes a nightmare. Contrary to it being nicknamed "Little Britain" (which seems to attract some migrants) only 8.5% were born in Britain and the majority are Australian born at 50%

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

True story, a guy I used to work with is having the house he lives in sold by the landlord (that's happened to 3 people we know in the last few months). He asked if I can provide a professional reference for the real estate agent on the next rental.

After they called to take the reference, I told him its done. He then told me that the reference was BEFORE they would spend the time letting him look at the place, that's how much demand there is for houses to rent.

Similar stories with house purchases. We have been looking recently, and so many we put offers in on were sold within hours of the first inspection. A lot of people are making offers based on the online advert prior to the inspection.

That's Mango Hill, suburb next door to North Lakes. Maybe it will calm down in the next few months

Just crazy right now...

In my past experience of putting up PIOers on arrival and helping them find accommodation, new immigrants are likely to get first shout at a property lease as the agents know full well that you have money, are likely desperate to please, and are more likely to "behave," than someone who has been in the rental sector for a while and is looking because they have lost a lease, even if (visibly), through no fault of their own.