UK Child Passport - New Online Service - Grandparents Documents

gmx

Hi all,

I have used the new UK online service (https://www.passport.service.gov.uk) to apply for a British passport for our child.  My partner is British by birth and I am British by acquired citizenship (residency), which was before our child was born.

However, once the application is completed, it tell me that I need to send all of the following.  It seems to me that there is a mistake here and that the grandparents documents would only be required for the parent chosen for documents to be applied in "Parents' documents".

Has anyone been through this?  I don't want to pay to get all these documents which appear to be unnecessary.

Thanks in advance!!

<hr>

Applicant’s documents

Send the following:

• full birth (civil and hospital) or adoption certificate showing both the child’s and parents’ details
  • the passport used to enter the country from which you are applying (if this applies)
  • any court orders (for example that describe parental responsibility or residency arrangements)

If you don’t have parental responsibility, also send the following:

• a signed and dated letter from the mother (or other person with parental responsibility) giving consent for the issue of the child’s new passport

Parents’ documents

For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:

• full birth or adoption certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details)
  • naturalisation or registration certificate

Grandparents’ documents

Send all of the following for both maternal grandparents:

• full birth or adoption certificate
  • grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)

And all of the following for both paternal grandparents:

• full birth or adoption certificate
  • grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)

If any of the following apply, you need to send additional documents:

• include a professional, or other title on your passport
  • apply for a British National Overseas (BNO) passport
  • apply for a passport under treaty rights
  • change your gender on your passport
  • get a first UK passport based on your parents’ Crown or Community service
  • get a first UK passport if you were born abroad but adopted in the UK before 1 January 1983
  • get a first UK passport if you were adopted abroad and you haven’t naturalised or registered
  • get a first UK passport if you were born in the Philippines, or your parents are married or divorced and have links to the Philippines
  • apply for a first UK passport if you were born through surrogacy
  • apply for a British Protected Person passport

53 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Odd. Have you ticked a box somewhere in the application you shouldn’t have? Sometimes the questions can be a bit ambiguous. I can’t see why they need maternal grandparents if you both are claiming as British citizens. 

Nope, it is very odd as they don't want both parents birth certificates anyway so how would they even know who the parents of the second parent were anyway.  I think it is a mistake but I don't want to now send the documents and have everything held up.

My situation is identical to yours and I am confused in the same way you are. I was wondering if you have anymore information.

What I did notice on the documents evidence page is that its talking about a host of non-relevant applications like BNO, child over .... So it seems this document evidence page is not directly related to the information we have provided. 

I am also a little worried about sending passports all the way to UK. On another forum it said the passports could be routed to New Zealand. But I am also confused about this part.

Getting birth certificates from the child's grandparents seems very difficult, as I am worried if they are not sent with the passport. The UK passport office will lose them/make a mistake.

Any input from anyone would be most appreciated

All the best

James

I was given this link by a friend:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3575763-To-be-amazed-at-what-I-need-to-provide?pg=3

Has a lot of details about document requirements.
I am going to send in grandparents passport number, and attach a digital copy of birth certificates of paternal (uk born) birth certificates

The forum implies that just the passport numbers should be enough

• 6 months later...

Hi, just following up on this.  Looks I am in a similar situation applying for UK passport for my son born in Australia in 2014, my wife and I are both UK citizens.  We have exactly the same generic document list sent to us as posted above asking for all Grandparents Birth Certificates which seems weird.  Unfortunately 3 of the grandparent are deceased and we have no idea where their birth certifcates would be, and it is going to be a pain in @rse to get my mothers.  I called the passport helpline but did not really get a definitive answer.  Just wondering whether others have had to send Grandparents Birth Certs or have managed to get around it?

• 2 weeks later...

Applied on line to renew mine and my wife's UK passports from Oz. Very easy to do. But now have to send the Passport office with our expiring passports and photo copies of out Oz passports which again is easy. Now trying find out which is the best courier service for sending the old passports to the UK with the paper work and also can you send both passports and paperwork, packaged and addressed individually, in one package as we have different PEX numbers (application reference numbers) in the UK address.

Can anyone help out.

Thanks David

31 minutes ago, Durhamlad said:

Applied on line to renew mine and my wife's UK passports from Oz. Very easy to do. But now have to send the Passport office with our expiring passports and photo copies of out Oz passports which again is easy. Now trying find out which is the best courier service for sending the old passports to the UK with the paper work and also can you send both passports and paperwork, packaged and addressed individually, in one package as we have different PEX numbers (application reference numbers) in the UK address.

I sent them all by registered post with Australia Post.  They were returned by registered post as well.  

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-overseas/registered-post-international

If you have different PEX numbers then I would put them in separate packages. 

• 9 months later...

We've just applied for the first British passport for our child born in Australia. Confirming what's been said above: the full document list is overbroad and seems to be meant to cover every conceivable eventually. We only submitted the docs necessary to establish the child's entitlement to British citizenship by descent - in our case, just our (parents') docs, not the grandparents' docs. And the passport was duly issued.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 19:53, JetBlast said:

@Tychen What parent documents did you submit please?

I can't remember exactly how it worked out in the flow chart and it varies according to when the parents were born and how each parent proves your entitlement. In our case, one of us is a British citizen by naturalisation and so had a naturalisation certificate (the other was a British citizen by descent born overseas). So our passports + the naturalisation certificate were sufficient, I think. 

On 03/12/2022 at 14:05, Tychen said:

I can't remember exactly how it worked out in the flow chart and it varies according to when the parents were born and how each parent proves your entitlement. In our case, one of us is a British citizen by naturalisation and so had a naturalisation certificate (the other was a British citizen by descent born overseas). So our passports + the naturalisation certificate were sufficient, I think. 

Thanks! I have a child due (who will be Australian from their mothers side) but might also apply for a British passport (as I am a Pom) so I was curious. 

Thanks

• Congratulations 2