Caboolture - what is it like?

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Wonder if anyone can offer some advise. Looking at going to Queensland and at mo we are definitely leaning towards Sunshine Coast - Caloundra, Little Mountain, Pelican Waters. Finally had our 136 application acknowledged after 5 months so decided to celebrate by having a dream on RealEstate.com!!!! Whilst looking we found that quite a bit was coming up in Caboolture. The prices seemed quite cheap compared to other places and the houses seemed to look really nice (could be different in person so to speak!) What is the catch? Can anyone tell us anything about Caboolture - what its like, any bad rep? What facilities, transport links etc etc.

Thanks for your help

Sarah

Hi there

We have been thinking of Caboolture too because its reasonable prices. My mums friend lives there and says its nice and many people say its nice. Some warn you it is not too nice.

It has a train station that takes about 1 hour to CBD and its the start of the Sunshine Coast. Its no more than 30 mins to Bribie Island and its lovely beaches (probably 20 mins). There are loads of new estates going up so young families should be moving there. Probably not lots of Poms because they have been warned off and gone to live in North Lakes/Halpine Lakes !!! However there may be some who have been wise enough to take a good look and realize that they get good value for money in Morayfield, Caboolture, Deception Bay, Burpengary and Narangba (we drove through Deception Bay and i didnt like the look but again a few people from here? live there and say its good value for money and upcoming area). I say this without actually having been to any except of course the main road through DBay so i DONT know from personal experience. We will definately be looking though to make our own minds up.

A few people live there on here so wait a while.

There is so much to decide about so all the best and when i get there in November i can answer any questions from first hand experience.

Georgie

Guest Working to fish

Caboolture for me is not my cup of tea

only my personal opinion its inland about 45 minutes and the place is grey .All the building just look grey .

As for infilstructure it has all you will need.

eddie

Hi there

We have been thinking of Caboolture too because its reasonable prices. My mums friend lives there and says its nice and many people say its nice. Some warn you it is not too nice.

It has a train station that takes about 1 hour to CBD and its the start of the Sunshine Coast. Its no more than 30 mins to Bribie Island and its lovely beaches (probably 20 mins). There are loads of new estates going up so young families should be moving there. Probably not lots of Poms because they have been warned off and gone to live in North Lakes/Halpine Lakes !!! However there may be some who have been wise enough to take a good look and realize that they get good value for money in Morayfield, Caboolture, Deception Bay, Burpengary and Narangba (we drove through Deception Bay and i didnt like the look but again a few people from here? live there and say its good value for money and upcoming area). I say this without actually having been to any except of course the main road through DBay so i DONT know from personal experience. We will definately be looking though to make our own minds up.

A few people live there on here so wait a while.

There is so much to decide about so all the best and when i get there in November i can answer any questions from first hand experience.

Georgie

Its so difficult to tell isnt it. I was only looking at Deception Bay yesterday on realestate.com and I was really taken with it. There seems to be work for my Husband near so I was looking there and at Redcliffe and Scarborough it all looks lovely on the web.:wacko:

We spent a bit of time in Deception Bay. It has everything you could ever want in a suburb - great sporting facilities etc. The waterfront is lovely and one end of town is quite nice near the waterfront, but a few blocks back and it is awful - narrow streets and run down houses and there is a large permanent trailer park just at the edge of town. We didn't think it a great place to bring up kids, but could be lovely to retire there. I supsect it will improve, but for me Burpengary, just up the road was miles better, and Narangba, Mango Hill etc, though you have to forgo a beach. Never visited Caboolture, but I hear Morayfield is fine. Redcliffe and Scarborough are lovely, but more expensive than Deception Bay.

We spent a bit of time in Deception Bay. It has everything you could ever want in a suburb - great sporting facilities etc. The waterfront is lovely and one end of town is quite nice near the waterfront, but a few blocks back and it is awful - narrow streets and run down houses and there is a large permanent trailer park just at the edge of town. We didn't think it a great place to bring up kids, but could be lovely to retire there. I supsect it will improve, but for me Burpengary, just up the road was miles better, and Narangba, Mango Hill etc, though you have to forgo a beach. Never visited Caboolture, but I hear Morayfield is fine. Redcliffe and Scarborough are lovely, but more expensive than Deception Bay.

Thanks for that. Deception Bay lives up to its name then!!!! :biglaugh:

I had my heart set on Deception Bay when we lived in the Uk, was so sure we would love it there,when we actually visited it ,i think we must have drove down the same streets as Kiwi as it looked quite tatty, some of the houses were pretty old and grotty.The front was and still is lovely with its big promenade and the views, but that wasnt enough to make me want to raise my family there.

As Georgie says lots of people go to North Lakes area, its great if you like he compact Uk way of living ,stunning houses but sooo squashed in if i was you Sarah id divert back to your original plan of Caloundra ,but thats only my opinion!

Cal x

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Thanks everyone. It is all so complicated, especially seeing as we won't be able to afford a reccie before we actually go. Mum may be going over to NSW at xmas and she and my sister may go for a look around. When we first decided to apply we were heading for Sydney so this is all a real turnaround. We are definitely hooked on Queensland/Sunshine Coast now but just have to decide where.

Don't worry next week I will be posting about somewhere else.

Thanks again

Sarah

Thanks everyone. It is all so complicated, especially seeing as we won't be able to afford a reccie before we actually go. Mum may be going over to NSW at xmas and she and my sister may go for a look around. When we first decided to apply we were heading for Sydney so this is all a real turnaround. We are definitely hooked on Queensland/Sunshine Coast now but just have to decide where.

Don't worry next week I will be posting about somewhere else.

Thanks again

Sarah

We are the same we have gone from Melbourne area and then NSW and then Queensland. Who knows!!!

Guest ellie2

It all depends on what you want from an area, before we came we were almost certainly looking at the sunshine coast, Buderim area, but when we got there to look it just wasnt for us, it was beautiful, but not for us to live there work and daughters uni ect, so we chose Burpengary which is very close to North Lakes 10 mins down the Bruce highway and 10 mins from Caboolture its also next to Morayfield which has a big shopping mall. Its also only 30 mins to Bribie Island which is lovely.

Good Luck

Christine

Guest Gary1972

Hi we live in Bellmere which is in caboolture we find the area very nice yes there is some not so nice places in caboolture but not many i'm sure where ever you look at in the world you will find not so nice areas. As a whole the area is very nice with very good value for money the schools are very good and there is plenty of work around and within a half hour drive you are on a fantastic beach if there is anything else you would like to know just ask and i will do my bestto help good luck

hi guys were just back from our reccie where after a few people saying caboolture wasnt very nice we ended up taking a look anyhow and we were pleasantly surprised! 10 yrs ago you would of avoided caboolture but now there is so much redevelopment going on. it has loads of new builds going on it has its own hospital and its private school st.columbans is one of the best in brisbane area. the house and land packages are $100k cheaper than north lakes for the same house! and its 15min from N/L. it is an upcoming area. the thing you need to remember is the SE queensland gov have given the go ahead to open up the corridors from brisbane north up the sunshine coast and south down the gold coast so for the next 8-10 years it will just be development after development up and down the coast and each and every one of these new land estates is pretty much identical to the next to be honest so you really need to decide

a. how close to the beaches do you want to be

b. how close to the city

c. theme parks

these may help narrow the field because its not an easy choice. caboolture is the last (i think) train stop on the main city rail line, as it then goes into the sunshine coast. everybody is looking for something different, we have made fabby friends from on here who live in beerwah which we thought was lovely very pretty typically aussie laid back and quiet but we couldnt live there (tho will definately be havin several drunken barbies there!) lots of peeps dont want to live in N/L as its gettin the title little britain?? so each to their own, but as for caboolture its one of those places to get into now as in 2-3 years the prices will rise, whilst we wewre there they predicted that caboolture will see a 150%increase in house price in 5 years!!

Guest beermeister

Hi Sarah

My sister lives in Caboolture and my mum lives on Bribie, not far away. For me, Caboolture is OK and nothing really wrong with it, but probably not my first pick of places. At the risk of sounding snobbish, it does seem to have its share of budget housing, troublesome teenagers and if I lived there, I'd have to do a lot of research to make sure I picked a good school for the kids.

On saying this though, it does have good train links to Brisbane, is probably a bit cheaper than other places, has some good sized shopping centres, is on the right side of Brisbane for going to the north coast beaches, and like so many other areas, could be the next up and coming place.

Hope this helps and hope I haven't offended any Caboolture residents.

Guest Tracey Jay

Hi All,

Anybody out there know anything about Warner......Brisbane??

We are at very early stages just sent TRA on Friday. Out of the blue yesterday got a phone call from my cousin who has just moved to Warner......Is it fate?? They did live in NSW and that"s where we"ve been looking. Don"t want to live to near but would be nice to live in same state!! Don"t know a thing about Queensland, done all our reseach on NSW and I"ve been there......although it was 19 years ago!! Got a 12 year old and a 9 year old. Any info gratefully recieved.....cheers.

warner is really nice, theres a massive new development being built there just now, its display village is huge and its where i found my dream home which might i add im not allowed as the hubby says we cant afford it tho im working on him!! its about 20-30min to the city off peak and is close to chermside shopping centre and also very close to some nice bush area which was lovely to drive through, its in our top 4 places to live!

Guest beardy brood

We went to stay with friends in Narangba (forest ridge estate) in april very nice place to fetch up your kids if you've got any, great schools, parks, shopping centres.

We looked at all surrounding areas including Caboolture we were warned to stay away from friends and locals apparentley was'nt such a nice place to live although some of the new estates they were building looked really nice, also looked at D Bay i also agree to the above comments although they are supposedley pumping millions in to regenerate the area, as for North Lakes if you would like to live in a apparentley big english community its great with the big shopping centre big houses but not big plots plenty of schools and childcare facilities.

We have settled for Narangba only 40 mins to Brisbane great place for the kids, visas just been approved received them back this morning from australian embassy booked our flights for april 16 2009 just hope the house sells.

Hope this was some help for you.

good look with what you decide

kerry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SEFFnSARAH

Thanks to everyone for replies so far. Now getting very confused. Sister over from Sydney at the moment and she looking to move to QLD too. Got her looking at accom this morning and she is in same position as us. Don't know if we will end up close to her (she needs to be within half hour of hospital she works in) but will actually be nice to be in same country - added bonus if we are in same state!! Mum going over end of October so they may both go on reccie (lucky things!) Will keep looking and maybe posting about somewhere else soon!

Sarah

Guest Carla72

Hi there,

Caboolture is very suburban and a lower SES generally. Like all places, the house values are increasing and it has good public transport to the city. Overall, Caboolture isnt for me - I worked out there for half a year. Undoubtedly in 5 years time it will be much better as it is the gateway to the sunshine coast. Hope this helps, Carla

If it's any help to you to decide betwwen the states i can confirm that at the moment its raining and cold just like England here in Melbourne!! Thats why we are off up to Qld (i know it rains there too but its definately not as cold).

Just another thing too. If you are a strawberry lover then you may like to know that thats where they are all grown in Bellmere, Morayfield etc and i bet they are cheap to buy direct from the grower instead of paying the prices Safeway and Coles charge!! Not sure if you can pick your own like England as you cant in Melbourne.

By the way can anyone tell me about the primary and secondry schools in Narangba, Morayfield, Caboolture and Burpengary? Any to stay clear of and any with an outstanding reputation? We are torn as to which suburb so this may be a swayer.

Thanks

Georgie

Okay so no one has any info for me! Guess i will just stick a pin in the map then. I am just worried because there is such a strict catchment area for the schools.

Hopefully someone may help with some advice before we move in 2 months time :smile:

Okay so no one has any info for me! Guess i will just stick a pin in the map then. I am just worried because there is such a strict catchment area for the schools.

Hopefully someone may help with some advice before we move in 2 months time :smile:

Hiya Georgie

If I were you I would start your own thread up abt schools in the areas that you have mentioned, as I am sure some people on here do live in Narangba so you should get some answers I hope.

Good Luck with the move, 2 months not long now then :wubclub:

Guest Debbiedo

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the site and I'm really pleased so far for all the good advice/info. We too are looking at Narangba and surrounding areas, don't know if you know but if you do a search on realestate.com then put the address on Google Earth you can see the property and surrounding houses and streets.

We have our visas its just a case of selling the house we have untill the 16th May 09 to validate.

Debbie

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the site and I'm really pleased so far for all the good advice/info. We too are looking at Narangba and surrounding areas, don't know if you know but if you do a search on realestate.com then put the address on Google Earth you can see the property and surrounding houses and streets.

We have our visas its just a case of selling the house we have untill the 16th May 09 to validate.

Debbie

Hi Debbie good luck on the house selling we are in the middle of trying that too!:yes:

Guest SEFFnSARAH

We sold the house now just need the visa!! Currently living with mum so working out where we are going to move to is keeping us motivated while we wait!

Archived