Can my son transfer in year 12?

Sarah Raftery

31 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

The Middle East is terrible for it; Arabs at the top, Westerners in the middle, and Asians at the bottom. Those poor guys/girls who are flown in from countries like Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia and paid $50/month are treated no better than animals in some cases.

Add Brunei to that list, 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2021 at 09:18, Wanderer Returns said:

I'd agree with what others have said, and being a teacher in the state school system here in Queensland, I will stick my neck and say (comparing like for like) he will probably get a better education in the UK state system than here.

You’ve made the usual Brit mistake by assuming that every state/territory is the same, they aren’t.  Take the ACT for instance.  They do 4 years of high school then they go to college.  Different systems, different results.    

On 16/05/2021 at 11:24, Bulya said:

You’ve made the usual Brit mistake by assuming that every state/territory is the same, they aren’t.  Take the ACT for instance.  They do 4 years of high school then they go to college.  Different systems, different results.    

I've taught in state schools in NSW and VIC as well as QLD, and I didn't see much difference in the standard of education - but I'll be happy to bow to your expert opinion if you can prove the ACT is a cut above the rest.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I've taught in state schools in NSW and VIC as well as QLD, and I didn't see much difference in the standard of education - but I'll be happy to bow to your expert opinion if you can prove the ACT is a cut above the rest.

Comprehension problem.  I said it’s different, not necessarily better.  Let’s hope you didn’t teach English… 

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

To be fair, he said different, not necessarily better.

On 21/05/2021 at 00:47, Bulya said:

Comprehension problem.  I said it’s different, not necessarily better.  Let’s hope you didn’t teach English… 

You were contradicting my previous statement that the OP's son would get a better education in the UK, so 'better' was implied even though you wrote 'different'.

48 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

You were contradicting my previous statement that the OP's son would get a better education in the UK, so 'better' was implied even though you wrote 'different'.

With all due respect, and I know it is your field, but the claim you made wasn't a good one. I was educated in a fantastic school in Perth. One of the best state schools in the city. My children have been educated in a fantastic state school in the UK. These two schools are far better than the average. There is so much variation between schools in each country, to make a claim that a child will be better educated in one country over another is ridiculous.

On 22/05/2021 at 17:05, newjez said:

With all due respect, and I know it is your field, but the claim you made wasn't a good one. I was educated in a fantastic school in Perth. One of the best state schools in the city. My children have been educated in a fantastic state school in the UK. These two schools are far better than the average. There is so much variation between schools in each country, to make a claim that a child will be better educated in one country over another is ridiculous.

Your opinion is based on your own personal experience, and that of your family - that's hardly a benchmark. There are some fantastic schools here where students are getting a great education, and the opportunity to develop holistically - which is equally as important in my opinion. But in terms of learning opportunities presented to the students, there just isn't the same intellectual rigour. You're right about one thing - it's my field, and I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 2