How long to book temp accomodation for?

Jon the Hat

Hi All

Now I have sold the house, flights are booked for mid September, and I am looking at temporary accommodation.  Found a nice unit on AirBnB - but the question is how many weeks to book?  I would rather not have to move around, but don't want to book a month as the flexible booking does away.

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Hi All

Now I have sold the house, flights are booked for mid September, and I am looking at temporary accommodation.  Found a nice unit on AirBnB - but the question is how many weeks to book?  I would rather not have to move around, but don't want to book a month as the flexible booking does away.

We are travelling ex UK end of May and have booked airbnb for 3 weeks (to get the fllexible cancellation policy) We had a credit from last years cancellation to use after that we found a different property and contacted owner directly to get short term rental following the 3 weeks since we have a fur baby and rentals in Tassie are hard to come by. If there is not a huge discount for the month booking you could perhaps  make separate bookings too get the longer stay but flexible conditions?

Some airbnb owners are happy to do a deal direct but its near impossible to get contact info if they only featured on airbnb as they obviously want to protect their bookings and emails and tel nos just get deleted.

• Thanks 1

Not sure how long stuff takes to arrive but we booked 6 weeks of furnished accommodation when we arrived, after 2 weeks of holidays on the Gold Coast - basically 2 months. We still moved in to our first proper home before the furniture arrived! Fortunately we rented a giant house to start so buying additional furniture was necessary anyway.

If i did it again I would give myself three months, you can always leave stuff in storage for a while, rather than be waiting on a ship to dock

• Thanks 1

Hi All

Where are you moving to?

There’s every chance you will struggle to secure a rental in three weeks. The property market is bonkers here right now

4 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Where are you moving to?

There’s every chance you will struggle to secure a rental in three weeks. The property market is bonkers here right now

Perth, I keep hearing this, but not sure if is the case for more expensive properties?  

My other slight worry now is that Quarantine rules might change for vaccinated travellers, then my accommodation will start 2 weeks too late!!

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Perth, I keep hearing this, but not sure if is the case for more expensive properties?  

My other slight worry now is that Quarantine rules might change for vaccinated travellers, then my accommodation will start 2 weeks too late!!

There’s no indication quarantine will be different for vaccinated travellers. Quarantine will possibly change after the Australian population is vaccinated, which was originally scheduled for October but scott Morrison has recently admitted that timeline isn’t achievable.

The rental market is indeed very, very hot just now. I would personally book at least 4-6 weeks to give you time to find a rental, especially as a new arrival. Having said that, the eviction ban is scheduled to expire end of March so the rental market could in theory ease a little.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

There’s no indication quarantine will be different for vaccinated travellers. Quarantine will possibly change after the Australian population is vaccinated, which was originally scheduled for October but scott Morrison has recently admitted that timeline isn’t achievable.

The rental market is indeed very, very hot just now. I would personally book at least 4-6 weeks to give you time to find a rental, especially as a new arrival. Having said that, the eviction ban is scheduled to expire end of March so the rental market could in theory ease a little.

That is good to know thanks.  Yeah I think any quarantine change is likely to be later.  Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

That is good to know thanks.  Yeah I think any quarantine change is likely to be later.  Cheers.

The WA state election is also on Saturday, which labour is expected to win. It’s possible that some Covid support that was kept in place pre election might fade quickly after the election, which could again open up the rental market somewhat.

Very hard to predict though as pre Covid the real estate market was very flat and predicted to drop 30%, then Covid led to an  unexpected boom, rental vacancy shortage and a predicted 30% hike over the next year. The next few months will be telling, so if you’re coming in September you’ll have time to weigh things up.

Some properties on Airbnb also advertise on booking dot com. We’ve started booking holidays on there as you often find ‘book now, pay nothing, free cancellation’ properties, which offers some safety in the current Covid climate. There’s not as much choice in there and it’s not as cheap as Airbnb but it might allow you to book something now, risk free for a 6 weeks stay and then cancel later/change the booking free of charge if the market cools and you don’t think you’ll need more than 4 weeks accommodation on arrival.

Our container had already arrived.  We booked 2 weeks.  As we got to T - 4 days, we booked another BnB for another week. The next day we found a place we liked and got accepted that day.  Offering them a few months rent up front greases a lot palms😉

• Like 1