House Purchase - Broadband, Gas, Water, TV etc

North to South

Hello,

Things have happened quite quickly since leaving quarantine and we now find ourselves as soon to be house owners, but would appreciate some guidance on a few things, mainly the things that’s kind of essential....

Broadband - With a teenage daughter this will be number one priority so just wondered who are the most reliable providers in Adelaide and how far in advance do you need to contact to install or takeover a n existing service, if one exists.

Utilities, I assume this is the same as in the UK where you contact the provider, read meters etc and then take over the supply ?

TV - I have UK tv’s in the container so assume they’ll need a set top box ,to work, so any who to use would be appreciated unless of course they can be adjusted to connect to Aus services.

Any advice over and above these points would be more than welcomed.

• Like 1

Not in Adelaide but we recently went through something similar in Sydney, so trying to help:

Broadband - we went with an NBN plan through Aussie Broadband because they have great, Australia-based customer service. They were really good at sorting out connection, arranging NBN engineers etc. We discovered afterwards though that Optus is slightly cheaper across the board for the same plans.

Utilities - generally yes. In Sydney the water company will contact you because your details would have been given to them as part of the house settlement. Same with council tax. But you can choose your own electricity and gas companies.

TV - we got a cheap "Laser" branded set top box from Officeworks which has worked fine with our UK TV. It plugs into the normal Aus aerial connection at one end and via an HDMI cable to the TV at the other end. It generally works well, but there are more expensive models out there.

Welcome to Adelaide. A lot will depend where you are located. You can check on line if NBN is available or soon to be connected. Then try different suppliers to see what they provide in the area.  The rest is the same. Read meters and contact suppliers. No options with water but plenty for gas/electric. I would go for one without a contract so you can change it over when settled and you have time to research!

we are in the Hills and have had NBN for years. Our son in metro area has only just been connected!

If the TV is smart then you can just use an Apple TV, chrome cast or whatever via internet and that will give you digital channels etc. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 14:02, Tychen said:

we went with an NBN plan through Aussie Broadband

Although I'm not currently with them, I have used them in the past, and I concur that their NBN is decent.

We brought over a 2013 Samsung smart TV in 2017, with no issues. The thing to bear in mind is that the tuner will be different to the Oz market TVs, so even though you will get some TV channels, you won't get all of them. Also, the channel numbering will start with 800.

So you only need a set-top box if your TV hasn't got a built in tuner.

I called my preferred provider a couple of weeks before moving in. You might have to wait for a technician visit on certain occasions.

Edited by DukeNinja

On 02/03/2021 at 12:35, North to South said:

Hello,

Things have happened quite quickly since leaving quarantine and we now find ourselves as soon to be house owners, but would appreciate some guidance on a few things, mainly the things that’s kind of essential....

Broadband - With a teenage daughter this will be number one priority so just wondered who are the most reliable providers in Adelaide and how far in advance do you need to contact to install or takeover a n existing service, if one exists.

Utilities, I assume this is the same as in the UK where you contact the provider, read meters etc and then take over the supply ?

TV - I have UK tv’s in the container so assume they’ll need a set top box ,to work, so any who to use would be appreciated unless of course they can be adjusted to connect to Aus services.

Any advice over and above these points would be more than welcomed.

Thanks 🙂

We have gone with tangerine and had no issues over the last 6months. We are in a new build so had to get an engineer in to connect the nbn. A couple of weeks should be enough to get that sorted.

Utilities we just did canstar blue and found the cheapest one. Everything is done just like the UK.

We brought out tvs from the UK and have had no issues.

Edited by Lavers

On 04/03/2021 at 22:02, Lavers said:

We have gone with tangerine and had no issues over the last 6months. We are in a new build so had to get an engineer in to connect the nbn. A couple of weeks should be enough to get that sorted.

Utilities we just did canstar blue and found the cheapest one. Everything is done just like the UK.

We brought out tvs from the UK and have had no issues.

Hi, did your TVs work without a set top box as I was led to believe they’d only work in the UK and I’d need separate boxes here ?

24 minutes ago, North to South said:

Hi, did your TVs work without a set top box as I was led to believe they’d only work in the UK and I’d need separate boxes here ?

Hiya, you don't need a set top box, they should be fine.

We seem to have plenty of channels, we have from channel 800 - 859 so not sure if a set top would give you more. To be honest though the TV isn't the best haha.

Are they newish tvs or old ones? I think one of ours is about 7 or 8 years old and that works fine for my eldest.

Edited by Lavers

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hiya, you don't need a set top box, they should be fine.

We seem to have plenty of channels, we have from channel 800 - 859 so not sure if a set top would give you more. To be honest though the TV isn't the best haha.

Are they newish tvs or old ones? I think one of ours is about 7 or 8 years old and that works fine for my eldest.

Hi. The TVs are all less than 18 months old.  I was told that as they have a different PAL system in Australia they would need set top boxes so keen to see how they work when my goos arrive in a few weeks.

21 hours ago, North to South said:

Hi. The TVs are all less than 18 months old.  I was told that as they have a different PAL system in Australia they would need set top boxes so keen to see how they work when my goos arrive in a few weeks.

Get a foxtel box and then it connects to one of the HDMI ports. You will get lots of channels as well as apps for netflix, ABC catchup, SBS on demand and disney built into the box. You can record and playback, it's great if you like sport, foxtel have loads that isn't on free to air.