Hi

we are looking at emigrating to Oz 

children currently 14,8,5 

we have Australian Citizenship 

im a registered nurse

single mum 

prefer less humid temperature but ultimately job and lifestyle more important 

Not looking for city living but outskirts by upto an hour max commute 

comments on suburbs, job prospects, things to do all appreciated thanks in advance  

I have lived in Brisbane and now I live in Adelaide. 

Personally I would pick Adelaide.

1. Less humid - it doesn't bother me but I saw you mentioned it.

2. Commuting is easy. Everywhere seems to be 20 minutes away. There isn't a huge amount of traffic.

3. There is a variety of different types of places in such a small space. You can be in the hills and quickly be at the beach.

4. The people are more friendly. - No offence queenslanders! It also seemed much easier to make friends here.

5. The cost of living is generally lower (apart from electricity) but wages are around the same in my profession.

6. Cheaper public transport - providing it covers where you need to go. The network isn't as comprehensive here and does have gaps.

Adelaide isn't all that far from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Day and weekend trips (via a plane) are an option.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Coopersrthe1 said:

prefer less humid temperature but ultimately job and lifestyle more important 

Based on that comment alone, you'd probably go with Adelaide, but...

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

3. There is a variety of different types of places in such a small space. You can be in the hills and quickly be at the beach.

4. The people are more friendly. - No offence queenslanders! It also seemed much easier to make friends here.

5. The cost of living is generally lower (apart from electricity) but wages are around the same in my profession.

I've always had a soft spot for Adelaide. The parks and gardens are beautiful and the city has an almost English feel to it. We were down there in October, and we had a week touring around South Australia, which was lovely, but I wouldn't move there from where we are now (Sunshine Coast). Apart from Adelaide itself, South Australia just somehow 'feels poor'. You could say the same about rural Queensland, but the coastal strip up here is more affluent, especially South East Queensland. JetBlast has made a fair point - the climate and the beaches attracts lots of Kens & Barbies, and these wannabe types are not that friendly. Although once you get away from the popular centres I think Queenslanders are every bit as friendly as there counterparts in the rest of Australia. Brisbane is definitely a little more expensive than Adelaide, but you may earn more money in Queensland - you'll need to check the nursing rates of pay for each state. Given the age of your children I think there would also be more for them to do in S E Queensland - it is after all the 'holiday state'.

• Thanks 1

I've just moved from the UK to Adelaide and for me it has everything you want and possibly more.  I love the Sunshine Coast, but just found Brisbane very busy compared to Adelaide which seems to have a quieter pace of life.  I just found with Adelaide you have miles and miles of gorgeous beaches and in the times I've been here before, they've never been busy.  The Hills are beautiful and just 20 mins from the CBD and heading down to the Vineyards in McLaren Vale or up in the Barossa are all in easy reach.

Houses I found tend to be on larger plots and if you're in The Hills, you can find your self in a very tranquil setting where all you hear is nature calling you. 

My daughter is 15 and while she loves the Sunshine Coast, especially Sunshine Beach, I think for her age, Adelaide is a great place to go to school as you've got everything on offer here.

I think it's a bit harsh saying that South Australia feels poor, and maybe there're isn't the glamour of Melbourne, Sydney or the Sunshine Coast, but once you get over that and you have to live somewhere, for me, living somewhere where you can get to work in 20-25 mins, to the Hills of a weekend, or the beach anytime you want, is what most people want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/01/2021 at 04:43, North to South said:

I've just moved from the UK to Adelaide and for me it has everything you want and possibly more.  I love the Sunshine Coast, but just found Brisbane very busy compared to Adelaide which seems to have a quieter pace of life.  I just found with Adelaide you have miles and miles of gorgeous beaches and in the times I've been here before, they've never been busy.  The Hills are beautiful and just 20 mins from the CBD and heading down to the Vineyards in McLaren Vale or up in the Barossa are all in easy reach.

Houses I found tend to be on larger plots and if you're in The Hills, you can find your self in a very tranquil setting where all you hear is nature calling you. 

My daughter is 15 and while she loves the Sunshine Coast, especially Sunshine Beach, I think for her age, Adelaide is a great place to go to school as you've got everything on offer here.

I think it's a bit harsh saying that South Australia feels poor, and maybe there're isn't the glamour of Melbourne, Sydney or the Sunshine Coast, but once you get over that and you have to live somewhere, for me, living somewhere where you can get to work in 20-25 mins, to the Hills of a weekend, or the beach anytime you want, is what most people want.

Hi 

how has your daughter settled in. 
my main worry is jobs. And making sure their is affordable housing for when im Able to buy thanks for your response 

9 hours ago, Coopersrthe1 said:

my main worry is jobs. And making sure their is affordable housing for when im Able to buy thanks for your response 

I'd say job prospects would definitely be better in Brisbane.  

The problem with Adelaide, (which I like very much as a city), is that it's on its own.  If you can't find work in Adelaide, opportunities elsewhere in the state are limited.  Whereas if you're struggling to find work in Brisbane, it's very easy to drive to the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Northern NSW etc for interviews - and it's not too painful to move the family if you have to.

• Like 2