Resident return application help - haven’t met the 2 years in 5 years requirement

Mmille

Hi everyone 

looking for some advice and to hear if this has happened to anyone else.

I have permanent residency but I’ve not lived in Australia for the past 4:5 years. My plan was to return this year then covid hit. I didn’t realise my visa was expiring so soon and a requirement to return is living there for 2 years in last 5 which I haven’t. I don’t have any substantial ties as I’ve been back in the uk although I do have friends etc in Australia, I don’t have a business / property so I’m terrified I won’t get back in.

i stupidly thought once I had my permanent residency it couldn’t be taken away from me.

please help

1 hour ago, Mmille said:

I have permanent residency but I’ve not lived in Australia for the past 4:5 years. My plan was to return this year then covid hit. I didn’t realise my visa was expiring so soon and a requirement to return is living there for 2 years in last 5 which I haven’t. I don’t have any substantial ties as I’ve been back in the uk although I do have friends etc in Australia, I don’t have a business / property so I’m terrified I won’t get back in.

i stupidly thought once I had my permanent residency it couldn’t be taken away from me.

I think you are right to be terrified.  To get a RRV, you need to prove substantial ties to Australia and it sounds as though you haven't any.  In your shoes, i would be booking a flight and returning immediately, before your travel facility expires.  

It's expensive to get a flight, but it's not impossible.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mmille said:

Oh no. It expires 4th janauary. Does that reactive it? This is a nightmare 😞

You need to arrive before that date.  Once you are in Australia, you can relax, because you don't need the RRV to be allowed to stay in the country.  You'll only need it when you want to leave the country again.

Once you've got a place to live (i.e. sign a six month lease or buy a home) and found a job, you can then apply for a RRV, citing your home and your job as "strong ties" to Australia.  

• Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 17:24, Mmille said:

Hi everyone 

looking for some advice and to hear if this has happened to anyone else.

please help

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure you want to come back, or is this a reaction to the fear of missing out? You returned to the UK and have been back almost 5 years, so what's suddenly made you decide you want to return to Oz - other than from the realisation that the window of opportunity is closing?

It's going to cost you thousands to fly here in the next month, plus $2,800 quarantine, and that's just for starters. If I was you I'd give what I really wanted some serious consideration before I burned through that sort of cash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure you want to come back, or is this a reaction to the fear of missing out? You returned to the UK and have been back almost 5 years, so what's suddenly made you decide you want to return to Oz - other than from the realisation that the window of opportunity is closing?

It's going to cost you thousands to fly here in the next month, plus $2,800 quarantine, and that's just for starters. If I was you I'd give what I really wanted some serious consideration before I burned through that sort of cash.

Agree with WR here...

Obviously if you want to return and stay in Australia for a while then do whatever it takes to get the RRV.

If it's just a "what-if" and you plan on coming over for a month, reactivate (apply for a new RRV) and then go back to the UK then you are probably wasting your time. After 4/5 years out they will at best give you a 12 month RRV meaning you will need to apply again  after 12 months (if you aren't in AUS then I wonder what the answer would be? - I suspect probably a No, but immigration is a fickle beast)

So unless you plan to spend at least 2 years on AUS soil so that you re-qualify for a new 5 year RRV it might be worth just letting it lapse. You can always apply in future to reinstate (they don't have to say yes, but they often do)

As paul has offered to taslk you through it if you contact him I would suggest you take him up on it, he deals with this stuff everyday and knows it much better than most people on here

• Like 1