SCITT based teacher training issue with AITSL

Rob Frain

On 17/01/2023 at 12:35, benj1980 said:

Guess what. I came over as a High School teacher after going through the SCITT pathway. To suggest AITSL simply rejects them is inaccurate, unless AITSL changed their policy after I was successful. When I completed my application there were others in the same position as me and they all managed to get their visas as well. @Rob Frain I'd suggest your qualification would be accepted by the registration bodies in different states.

WA are currently offering sponsorship - exciting times.

Sorry to raise this again. I am in similar position and wondered what documentation you submitted to AITSL as evidence which they accepted? Thanks so much!

On 26/07/2023 at 17:02, g_CS_teacher said:

Sorry to raise this again. I am in similar position and wondered what documentation you submitted to AITSL as evidence which they accepted? Thanks so much!

I had a letter stating my practicum days this was signed by the Academic Registrar, an academic transcript from the University stating the units that I completed and my PGCE certificate. My associated university was very accommodating, I appreciate many aren't and they are not required to provide an academic transcript. This was all on the University headed paper.

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2023 at 15:32, cg9456 said:

That is so weird? I know three people who did Teach First where Teach First chose their training school, but they then did a full-time PGCE alongside Teach First and all three of them were accepted (one literally one week ago!). This really makes no sense at all.

Hi, I know this was a while ago. I did Teach First and am looking to move to Australia. Do you know how they managed to bypass the 45 day teaching observation?

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2023 at 09:34, SleepyCat said:

Hi, I know this was a while ago. I did Teach First and am looking to move to Australia. Do you know how they managed to bypass the 45 day teaching observation?

Hey, during the Teach First PGCE my uni professor and in-school mentor both observed often so I just asked Canterbury Uni to provide a letter to that fact and they did 🙂 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2023 at 10:09, cg9456 said:

Hey, during the Teach First PGCE my uni professor and in-school mentor both observed often so I just asked Canterbury Uni to provide a letter to that fact and they did 🙂 

You'll be fine with Teach First the university side of it is robust. They are more skeptical of SCITTs than anything else. 

I have just gone through AITSL as a Maths teacher who qualified through a SCITT with a PGCE alongside it and got a positive assessment . It was a long journey, took roughly 6 months instead of 6 weeks but it is possible! I have to say I don't think I would have got a positive assessment without my migration agent, they know what you need to do and were very helpful to me, I'm not going to name them don't want this to sound like an ad! 

But just to say to anyone thinking of applying as a SCITT, yes it is possible, but it's hard and you never know what the outcome will be, but how will you ever know without trying?!

• Like 2

Evening Haydn Drake 

could you please advise me who this agent is. I am currently over in Victoria now. I have had a rejected application and have had letters providing how the PGCE was completed. I teach designs and technology which I know is in demand and am not prepared to redo all my teaching all based on a provider we did our teaching with. I would be extremely grateful if you could forward me the agents company
 kind regards

Claire Naysmith

• 5 months later...
On 30/10/2023 at 07:49, Haydn Drake said:

I have just gone through AITSL as a Maths teacher who qualified through a SCITT with a PGCE alongside it and got a positive assessment . It was a long journey, took roughly 6 months instead of 6 weeks but it is possible! I have to say I don't think I would have got a positive assessment without my migration agent, they know what you need to do and were very helpful to me, I'm not going to name them don't want this to sound like an ad! 

But just to say to anyone thinking of applying as a SCITT, yes it is possible, but it's hard and you never know what the outcome will be, but how will you ever know without trying?!

Hi, can I ask who the agent was that you used? We are looking to relocate and we were hoping to look at the 190 visa. 

I have a BA Honours in Education (3 years), followed by a SCITT  but without PGCE as I had already completed all the modules (or similar) in my uni degree.

I am currently working an Australian International School  as a classroom teacher and Head of Year. My performance management is assessed against the AITSL standards  and I teach to the ACARA outcomes yet I won’t even make it through the skills assessment. Seems insane! 

Sorry to jump on this thread but I did a SCITT with the PGCE side through a university. I have contacted the University and they have been very helpful so far and have said if I can get the SCITT to provide them with the information of my supervised hours they will include this in their document.

So, to avoid missing anything out before I send the Uni all the details to include, could someone check I've included everything...

• Academic transcript
  • Evidence of supervised practice (do they just want to know how many days? Or any other information?)
  • University headed paper - dated and signed

Anything else?

Keeping fingers crossed this will be enough to convince AITSL!

On 11/04/2024 at 05:08, Leah said:

Hi, can I ask who the agent was that you used? We are looking to relocate and we were hoping to look at the 190 visa. 

I have a BA Honours in Education (3 years), followed by a SCITT  but without PGCE as I had already completed all the modules (or similar) in my uni degree.

I am currently working an Australian International School  as a classroom teacher and Head of Year. My performance management is assessed against the AITSL standards  and I teach to the ACARA outcomes yet I won’t even make it through the skills assessment. Seems insane! 

Hi Leah,

Unfortunately I think you'll have a hard time with AITSL because they state explicitly the course must be 4 years, and one reason people get rejected with SCITTs is the lack of academic rigor (their words not mine) so without a PGCE and only a 3 year course it'll be hard, you may have to go back and do a masters in education, but speak to a Migration agent about this. I used TrueBlue Migration, they're not cheap but they are always reply daily and were very helpful to me before any contracts were signed.

13 hours ago, Ellieb85 said:

Sorry to jump on this thread but I did a SCITT with the PGCE side through a university. I have contacted the University and they have been very helpful so far and have said if I can get the SCITT to provide them with the information of my supervised hours they will include this in their document.

So, to avoid missing anything out before I send the Uni all the details to include, could someone check I've included everything...

• Academic transcript
  • Evidence of supervised practice (do they just want to know how many days? Or any other information?)
  • University headed paper - dated and signed

Anything else?

Keeping fingers crossed this will be enough to convince AITSL!

They want to know how many days, what age group, what school, what year group. 

As far as what to say to them I'm not sure because my migration agent handled AITSL they just asked me for documents etc.