Visa Options

Sparkybaz

Hi, 

First post so please be kind 🙂,

I'm looking at the 190 or 191visa route ( Electrician ) I have completed my English language ( PTE 10 points ) and skills assessment and have also produced the relevant 10 years + work experience evidence, our EOI was submitted early March with 65 points skilled independent and 70 points for skilled nomination through NSW ( lost points during lock down due to birthday ) I have previous work experience in Australia but unfortunately was only 11 months, I also have my Australian recognised trade certificate from the TRA in Electrical mechanic that I was granted whilst in Australia on a sponsored visa, this was granted by the electrical trades committee.

My question is does anyone envisage NSW inviting off shore applicants in 2021 through the nominated Visa as I do not feel I have enough points for independent. I have been asked by my agent if I would consider the 491 pathway to residency if this was to became available with any of the state ( SA being a possibility ), my only concerns are its a temporary visa with limitations, I have a young family and wouldn't want to risk moving to the other side of the world on a temp visa. Our long term plan is to move to Australia and settle and I just don't feel comfortable on this type of visa unless it was a very last resort.

Our long term plan would be to reside in Queensland as my parents live there ( immigrated in 2008 ) unfortunately electricians are not on the skilled list for Queensland hence the NSW route for a few years but we may well end up residing in NSW long-term if all goes well.

We were hoping to be there by February 2021 prior to Covid but now we have decided for our son to finish secondary school ( July 2022 ) so do I hold out and hope they will start invitations for skilled visas or do I go with the 491 if it becomes available.

I could try the PTE test again for the 20 points but my writing keeps letting me down and I cant seem to get above 74 but all other communitive skills are 79+, Tried the IELTS but again was the writing, I was going to try again but anxiety gets the better of me on the day. 

Basically I'm looking for someone to shed some positivity, we started our process in February 2018 and now feel that it may have been a wasted journey and expense.

I know its the unknown at the moment with Covid and we are trying to stay positive that one day we will eventually get to Australia!

Thanks for your time reading the above, any relevant replies would be much appreciated.

Baz 

7 minutes ago, Sparkybaz said:

Hi, 

I'm looking at the 190 or 191visa route ( Electrician ) I have completed my English language ( PTE 10 points ) and skills assessment and have also produced the relevant 10 years + work experience evidence, our EOI was submitted early March with 65 points skilled independent and 70 points for skilled nomination through NSW ( lost points during lock down due to birthday ) I have previous work experience in Australia but unfortunately was only 11 months, I also have my Australian recognised trade certificate from the TRA in Electrical mechanic that I was granted whilst in Australia on a sponsored visa, this was granted by the electrical trades committee.

My question is does anyone envisage NSW inviting off shore applicants in 2021 through the nominated Visa as I do not feel I have enough points for independent. I have been asked by my agent if I would consider the 491 pathway to residency if this was to became available with any of the state ( SA being a possibility ), my only concerns are its a temporary visa with limitations, I have a young family and wouldn't want to risk moving to the other side of the world on a temp visa. Our long term plan is to move to Australia and settle and I just don't feel comfortable on this type of visa unless it was a very last resort.

Our long term plan would be to reside in Queensland as my parents live there ( immigrated in 2008 ) unfortunately electricians are not on the skilled list for Queensland hence the NSW route for a few years but we may well end up residing in NSW long-term if all goes well.

We were hoping to be there by February 2021 prior to Covid but now we have decided for our son to finish secondary school ( July 2022 ) so do I hold out and hope they will start invitations for skilled visas or do I go with the 491 if it becomes available.

I could try the PTE test again for the 20 points but my writing keeps letting me down and I cant seem to get above 74 but all other communitive skills are 79+, Tried the IELTS but again was the writing, I was going to try again but anxiety gets the better of me on the day. 

Basically I'm looking for someone to shed some positivity, we started our process in February 2018 and now feel that it may have been a wasted journey and expense.

I know its the unknown at the moment with Covid and we are trying to stay positive that one day we will eventually get to Australia!

Thanks for your time reading the above, any relevant replies would be much appreciated.

Baz 

with 65 points, you are likely to have 0 chance at getting invite, should really consider 491 and other options

7 minutes ago, cglcb1 said:

with 65 points, you are likely to have 0 chance at getting invite, should really consider 491 and other options

Thanks for the positive reply, I quoted I do not feel I have enough points. Even at 75 points with the extra points in my English exam this wouldn't be sufficient enough, so do I hope and wait for a skilled nominated invitation form NSW or do I look at the 491 route in SA when it becomes available ? 

4 minutes ago, Sparkybaz said:

Thanks for the positive reply, I quoted I do not feel I have enough points. Even at 75 points with the extra points in my English exam this wouldn't be sufficient enough, so do I hope and wait for a skilled nominated invitation form NSW or do I look at the 491 route in SA when it becomes available ? 

If you want to have better chance at NSW nomination, try to improve your English score as 70 points is also unlikely for nomination and it would also help if you want to try 491 path. 

With any point-based visas, you should try to max out your points as much as you can for better chance. You can submit EOI for all 3 visa simultaneously and hope for the best.

It is also worth pointing at a misunderstanding in your original post a 491 is not a temporary visa. It is a provisional visa. That makes a lot of difference..

WIth a temp visa it is just that temporary, you come for the amount of time allowed then leave (you can look at other routes to stay at that point but no guarantee)

With a provisional visa, so long as you abide by the qualifying conditions, it converts (there is a process and forms and money) into a PR once you meet the criteria and apply

So if you know you are staying in Oz, and can find employment in regional areas the 491 is enough. There are some differences in benefits and entitlements, an agent would be best placed to talk these through with you though

• Like 1

I feel I should answer this question as, I’m a sparky who was in exactly same position regarding qualifications, work experience (it’s 8 years out of 10 by the way) & PTE score of 10.

My total points score was 60 + 5(for NSW190 nomination) when I submitted the EOI back in Sep 19, so before the Nov 19 changes, of which doesn’t really do you any favours. 
Anyway, I received an invitation from NSW in late Nov & applied in DEC 19. 
It seems I’ve missed the boat on my grant (as Oct & Nov applications seem to of slipped through (before COVID scuppered the finalisation of applications earlier this year).

Now, until the boarders open up & the start processing applications again, even then it’s going to be tight on applications as they have cut the quota of state nominations by 55% for 2020 - July 21.
But we’re searching for positively here so, if your timeframe is stretching into 21-22 quota year, things may well change thus your chances might substantially change in the right direction, as electricians are in demand when construction is up, so don’t give up, get the higher English score as you will need it I think.

48 minutes ago, Joe/Rose said:

I feel I should answer this question as, I’m a sparky who was in exactly same position regarding qualifications, work experience (it’s 8 years out of 10 by the way) & PTE score of 10.

My total points score was 60 + 5(for NSW190 nomination) when I submitted the EOI back in Sep 19, so before the Nov 19 changes, of which doesn’t really do you any favours. 
Anyway, I received an invitation from NSW in late Nov & applied in DEC 19. 
It seems I’ve missed the boat on my grant (as Oct & Nov applications seem to of slipped through (before COVID scuppered the finalisation of applications earlier this year).

Now, until the boarders open up & the start processing applications again, even then it’s going to be tight on applications as they have cut the quota of state nominations by 55% for 2020 - July 21.
But we’re searching for positively here so, if your timeframe is stretching into 21-22 quota year, things may well change thus your chances might substantially change in the right direction, as electricians are in demand when construction is up, so don’t give up, get the higher English score as you will need it I think.

Seems Covid has a lot to answer for! Shame as I was supposed to be on the October / November trade test but unfortunately missed the dead line due to waiting on references etc. Yes sorry it is 8 years but as I had 11 months in Australia working this was not classed as UK experience so needed the extra evidence to fill the missed year. To be honest the references took months as they kept making mistakes, end and start dates not matching with payslips and incorrect information was all a bit of a nightmare, my agent advised everything has to correspond or it will just lead to issues once your invited as you cannot amend statements once they have been submitted.

As for the English test I have taken the PTE exam 3 times and the results have been pretty much the same for writing 75, 72,70 the other parts are above 79 so I only have the 10 points well I say only its better than 0, I will retake when I understand more what's happening with the intake, its just frustrating and knocks your confidence if I'm honest.

I'm with a well know independent agent so I know my application is in safe hands, just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Any way I will keep positive, good things come to those who wait!

I wish you well with your application and thankyou for the response.

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

It is also worth pointing at a misunderstanding in your original post a 491 is not a temporary visa. It is a provisional visa. That makes a lot of difference..

WIth a temp visa it is just that temporary, you come for the amount of time allowed then leave (you can look at other routes to stay at that point but no guarantee)

With a provisional visa, so long as you abide by the qualifying conditions, it converts (there is a process and forms and money) into a PR once you meet the criteria and apply

So if you know you are staying in Oz, and can find employment in regional areas the 491 is enough. There are some differences in benefits and entitlements, an agent would be best placed to talk these through with you though

Thanks for the clarification on the 491, I don't think you are entitled to benefits ( not that I'm looking for them )  school fees could become costly and then there may be an issue buying a property.

I'm not trying to talk myself out of the 491, just want to do the best for my family.

Thankyou for the reply

10 hours ago, Sparkybaz said:

Hi, 

Baz 

189 visa has required 90 points or more for a very long time and the number of invites has dropped to just over one hundred per month.

190 visas; NSW currently only invite applicants currently in selected health, ICT and engineering occupations, and who currently reside in NSW. 

491 visa; NSW is not accepting new applications at this time. They have limited spots for application already on hand in health, ICT and engineering occupations.

Best to increase your points as much as possible to be ready when the programs re open.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Sorry for all the doom and gloom associated to your application at the moment. I feel your pain and not even near your stage in the process.

I have been waiting in technical assessment stage of vetassess as an electrician since covid to restart. Was informed online interviews  are now conducted for technical assessments. (with 2 weeks notice for booking date!)

Im a bit thrown off by this change and wonder is there anyone on this forum who has done it though I think I may be one of the very first. Any advice?

Not sure what to expect and nervous.

I hope we all make it there some day when things normalize.  I will take any visa necessary whether 189,190, 491. Anything!

I know exactly how you feel dude. I'm in the same boat. 

I'm a mechanic (apparently in very short supply in Oz) and after lots of hard work to prove my qualifications because my certificates are all Heavy Vehicle and last 10+ years have been working on Light Vehicle, we submitted my EOI in Dec 2019 through a registered agent. We submitted for 189 and 190 with 70 points for NSW Nominated 189. I was only a few points short of 79+ in the English test, had sat it twice. 

I was told to expect an invite by June. Covid hit, June came and went. I asked what I should be expecting to happen. The agent suggested scoring higher in the Pearson test to be ready for the new Budget in July. I managed that so was really pleased but told to also add the 491 to the EOI as PR visas are going to be unlikely. 

So I'm now just waiting..... and waiting.... and waiting. I have 90 points thanks to the extra in English and you get another 10 with the 491. I dont know if I might get invited for all 3 or none. 

But more delays I think. My agent said we should see things moving again this month. I just saw a new update on the NSW Gov website yesterday. If i'm understanding it right. ALL skilled visas will continue to be going to people already living in NSW. If that's right then I don't think 190's, 189's and maybe 491's will come our way until the new financial year in July. 

I wish someone could say to me "You WILL get an invite, it's just going to be later". 

With the Pearson test. I found from watching lots of videos that your structure and technique is more important than anything else. So with your writing, just stick to words you know you can spell and only use grammar you're comfortable with. Concentrate on the correct number of words and beginning, middle and end, etc. 

Good luck, we'll get there!

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

I'm a mechanic (apparently in very short supply in Oz) and after lots of hard work to prove my qualifications because my certificates are all Heavy Vehicle and last 10+ years have been working on Light Vehicle, we submitted my EOI in Dec 2019 through a registered agent. We submitted for 189 and 190 with 70 points for NSW Nominated 189. I was only a few points short of 79+ in the English test, had sat it twice. 

I was told to expect an invite by June. Covid hit, June came and went. I asked what I should be expecting to happen. The agent suggested scoring higher in the Pearson test to be ready for the new Budget in July. I managed that so was really pleased but told to also add the 491 to the EOI as PR visas are going to be unlikely. 

So I'm now just waiting..... and waiting.... and waiting. I have 90 points thanks to the extra in English and you get another 10 with the 491. I dont know if I might get invited for all 3 or none. 

But more delays I think. My agent said we should see things moving again this month. I just saw a new update on the NSW Gov website yesterday. If i'm understanding it right. ALL skilled visas will continue to be going to people already living in NSW. If that's right then I don't think 190's, 189's and maybe 491's will come our way until the new financial year in July. 

I wish someone could say to me "You WILL get an invite, it's just going to be later". 

With the Pearson test. I found from watching lots of videos that your structure and technique is more important than anything else. So with your writing, just stick to words you know you can spell and only use grammar you're comfortable with. Concentrate on the correct number of words and beginning, middle and end, etc. 

You are so right with the PTE test. It is designed to test correctness and not breadth. So whilst IELTS rewards brave choices of vocabularly and grammar, PTE doesn't and in fact penalises if you use these incorrectly. If you think about it, thats a better test of fluency anyway. Can I be understood and am I not making silly mistakes. Rather than do I know lots of big words and can accuratley use semi-colons and Oxford Commas.

In relation to your "when will I get an invite" question, I doubt you'll get a 189 with what looks like about 75/80 points (I couldn't quite work out your points tally from your post), they've been averaging 90 points for some time (except now where medic applicants are seeing lower points invites - but that's a special case).

I got mine in December 2019 with 70 pts (65+5NSW) - very different career though.

I woudl expect that on a 491 with 90+ you should be fine for getting an invite once the process gets back to normal, but there are no guarantees in this game

On 04/12/2020 at 16:46, waydeross87 said:

Hi there,

Sorry for all the doom and gloom associated to your application at the moment. I feel your pain and not even near your stage in the process.

I have been waiting in technical assessment stage of vetassess as an electrician since covid to restart. Was informed online interviews  are now conducted for technical assessments. (with 2 weeks notice for booking date!)

Im a bit thrown off by this change and wonder is there anyone on this forum who has done it though I think I may be one of the very first. Any advice?

Not sure what to expect and nervous.

I hope we all make it there some day when things normalize.  I will take any visa necessary whether 189,190, 491. Anything!

Hi,

its all doom and gloom at the moment!

I don't think you have to worry about the technical assessment as long as you have confidence, its just basic questions on lighting and three phase motors. Have you completed the practical assessment yet? 

On 10/12/2020 at 09:26, Andy G said:

Its disappointing as you know yourself the time and effort that goes into the application process, people think its easy when its not. So I spoke to my agent last week who has advised Queensland may open the 491 soon so we are hoping electricians may be on the skilled list.

As for the PTE test I took this again after the first lock down and scored 79+ in reading and listening, 77 in writing and 60 in speaking, unfortunately I had to wear a mask so can only assume this was the issue as I have scored 90 in all previous speaking exams 😞 

My agent has advised that there will only be onshore invitations for NSW for some time, had we done this process 3 years ago 65 points would have been sufficient. My parents immigrated in 2009 with 50 points.

Going back to the PTE I just find it so frustrating, I have paid for the online PTE practice tutorials, paid for private tuition with no issues, as soon as test day booom nerves kick in.

wish you all the best and keep us posted!

Oh it's certainly frustrating! Thanks for your update though. It's good to hear advice or opinions from as many places as possible. Maybe I could apply for other states, NSW was purely on the advice of our agent. I think Queensland will be our ultimate goal but we are planning on getting into Oz first and then making those life choices over the first few years and obviously following the visa rules. 

You obviously have what it takes to get top scores. Just take it if and when you're happy to again. Your score definitely has a big influence on your ranking. For me, realising that it is scored and listened to by artificial intelligence (no humans involved) was what helped me relax. I didn't have to worry about making sense or even saying the correct thing. It just has to flow right. 

Stay positive! I don't see much positivity on this forum but what can you expect from a forum full of Brits 😆

16 hours ago, Sparkybaz said:

Its disappointing as you know yourself the time and effort that goes into the application process, people think its easy when its not. So I spoke to my agent last week who has advised Queensland may open the 491 soon so we are hoping electricians may be on the skilled list.

As for the PTE test I took this again after the first lock down and scored 79+ in reading and listening, 77 in writing and 60 in speaking, unfortunately I had to wear a mask so can only assume this was the issue as I have scored 90 in all previous speaking exams 😞 

My agent has advised that there will only be onshore invitations for NSW for some time, had we done this process 3 years ago 65 points would have been sufficient. My parents immigrated in 2009 with 50 points.

Going back to the PTE I just find it so frustrating, I have paid for the online PTE practice tutorials, paid for private tuition with no issues, as soon as test day booom nerves kick in.

wish you all the best and keep us posted!

I can only offer advise as to how I kept cool in the PTE.

I knew that I had to get 90+ or the dream was over as without it I didn't even get to 65 (the minimum).

That put a lot of pressure on it, but I just decided to take it calm and work at my own pace 

The other people in the room seemed to go much faster, but I just kept plodding through (even though their pace worried me)

I still finished with a few minutes to spare 

Passed with full marks in the test, I know I wouldn't have if I had let myself get pressured into keeping up with the others

On 10/12/2020 at 12:50, Sparkybaz said:

Hi,

its all doom and gloom at the moment!

I don't think you have to worry about the technical assessment as long as you have confidence, its just basic questions on lighting and three phase motors. Have you completed the practical assessment yet? 

Due to covid there is no physical practical assessment currently it is now an online interview. I actually failed the technical assessment last year. Few things caught me out so paid for assessment wait for date then lock down happened. And as I said its an online interview now. When you thought you knew what to expect.

21 minutes ago, waydeross87 said:

Due to covid there is no physical practical assessment currently it is now an online interview. I actually failed the technical assessment last year. Few things caught me out so paid for assessment wait for date then lock down happened. And as I said its an online interview now. When you thought you knew what to expect.

To be honest I thought the whole assessment was a joke, no materials etc, he wanted it done the Australian way which by the way if the HSE walked through the door he would have been reprimanded! Which I told him, was using mixed cabling as didn’t have sufficient singles, the one bit of “building wire” ( T&E ) he gave me was too short so was not the same length as on the Mickey Mouse drawing they give you so he knocked a point off lol, the testing I don’t think any one understood what he wanted, low or high reading etc. Lucky for me I have my Australian trade certificate by TRA as have worked over there for a few years on a sponsorship so knew their standard and sort of what to expect ( bare in mind the Australians are the best sparks since sliced bread )I think he took a disliking to me as he stated “ Poms know nothing about motor control circuits” well that was my bread and butter so completed the wiring and fault finding in under 5 mins so that didn’t go down well 😁. I found the technical assessment relatively easy basically went through my application asked me a few questions, had to draw a star delta connection and explain, emergency lighting, ac & dc circuits etc, if this is being done online now then least you have google 😉. The whole process is a money spinner when in reality there is no guarantee of an invitation which is the part I find so frustrating. 

keep us posted on progress 👍

Practiced DOL, safe isolation...power and light circuit.  Still undecided on my elective. I work with solar system installation and renewable energy isnt in the test.

If you dont mind could you explain what they expected from you for emergency lighting? By the way no google! They monitor your surroundings in the room as well.

Yes, it is a money making scheme.

21 minutes ago, waydeross87 said:

Funny we were supplied with all enough materials. Just my nerves got the best of me that day..

As you said no guarantee and im sure they test more and pass more then they accept without communicating that. Plus, these crazy times just make it worse.

Your man had to go to Screwfix to get stuff as he was asking for the right terminology 😂.

they will ask you about maintained and non maintained lighting all depends what you chose for your elective. 

lighting

emergency lighting

smoke alarm circuits

star Delta configuration inc soft start DOL and variable speed drives  

test and inspection 

you won’t cover safe isolation again as that was part of your practical test  Also the multiple choice exam you shouldn’t have to cover again 

most of the questions are what I put on my elective tbh plus a few random ones.

Me personally I feel it should have been similar to an AM2 with a uk assessor with an Australian assessor in the back ground, thats my Personell opinion on the matter.

my agent said she had only heard of one fail and that was someone pulling a knife towards them stripping cable and not away from them 🤷‍♂️

Would you recommend doing emergency lighting with some research and not any hands on experience? What would you look up? Was taking plc option but im not 100% confidant.

I live in Zimbabwe. Did city and guilds diploma in electrical engineering. This silly test is worse than those exams! Passed multiple choice on the day. But not safe isolation.

From the previous units I need to pass...DOL...Safe iso...power and lighting circuit...testing(insulation) and elective. Not being online I have no clue how this will actually be tested as compared to in a workshop environment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2020 at 20:18, waydeross87 said:

Would you recommend doing emergency lighting with some research and not any hands on experience? What would you look up? Was taking plc option but im not 100% confidant.

I live in Zimbabwe. Did city and guilds diploma in electrical engineering. This silly test is worse than those exams! Passed multiple choice on the day. But not safe isolation.

From the previous units I need to pass...DOL...Safe iso...power and lighting circuit...testing(insulation) and elective. Not being online I have no clue how this will actually be tested as compared to in a workshop environment.

In all honesty your have to do what you feel comfortable with, I have been a qualified electrician for 13 years so I was confident with the interview stage and practice assessment. The safe isolation is not carried out the same as in the UK nor was the practice assessment but the principle is the same. 

I also done the diploma in engineering after I finished my apprenticeship so you should be ok theory wise if you brush up. Just go in with a positive attitude, understandably there will be nerves but don’t let them get confused with nerves and lack of competency! We all know electricians from ”electricians” the people testing you are also electricians so they know the what to expect.

Let’s hope 2021 brings us all some luck 👍