Police check after citizenship test?

shiveringpom

Ok so just want to clarify if this is new norm ....

Sat test and interview Brisbane  City 9/10/20...... all quick and straight forward 

At end of test she said " we will now trigger your police check " ..... i was in a fluster and didnt really think about it and just left  but on reflection  i thought ?eh

I didnt think checks where done after this point 

Is this normal ? does everyone now get them ?  i wish i had asked why  now  ...... any thoughts ? x 

it was my understanding (roughly! - I can't quote exact details or paragraphs of text 😉) that if you're been in Aus for most of the period leading to your application/test etc, the police check is done for you (ie, what you've mentioned above) and if you've spent a lot of time outside of the country, you may be asked obtain a check from that country, which I think you have to organise for yourself.

I guess they don't want to be awarding citizenship to anyone with a serious mark on their record (which I suppose could easily between the last police check being done for visa and 'now').

I don't think it's  a new process anyway

EDIT: found this - scroll down to "For Citizenship applications": https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-text/evidence/Pages/et-h0009.aspx

Edited by vickyplum

10 minutes ago, vickyplum said:

it was my understanding (roughly! - I can't quote exact details or paragraphs of text 😉) that if you're been in Aus for most of the period leading to your application/test etc, the police check is done for you (ie, what you've mentioned above) and if you've spent a lot of time outside of the country, you may be asked obtain a check from that country, which I think you have to organise for yourself.

I guess they don't want to be awarding citizenship to anyone with a serious mark on their record (which I suppose could easily between the last police check being done for visa and 'now').

I don't think it's  a new process anyway

EDIT: found this - scroll down to "For Citizenship applications": https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-text/evidence/Pages/et-h0009.aspx

we havent been out of the country and thats why i am confused ?  iam aware of that rule  wrt time out etc  so all seems a bit odd? 

our last police checks were done for PR  application from UK  ....... 

iam a boring middle aged  lady  with no  master criminal activity  as yet 😁

they mentioned it to my husband aswell at his test and interview but he got an approval letter within a week so not sure if they actually did one on him ?  strange .....

It’s been a while since I did citizenship but.... I remember this as my name was the same as someone in NSW who had a record, so the rest of the family passed straight away but I had to wait until my name was cleared. So don’t stress it’s just a routine check.

I would love to know what my namesake had done though 🧐🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiveringpom said:

we havent been out of the country and thats why i am confused ?  iam aware of that rule  wrt time out etc  so all seems a bit odd? 

our last police checks were done for PR  application from UK  ....... 

iam a boring middle aged  lady  with no  master criminal activity  as yet 😁

they mentioned it to my husband aswell at his test and interview but he got an approval letter within a week so not sure if they actually did one on him ?  strange .....

The police check they mention is the Australian Police check, it's standard for all applications, they can access electronically so doesn't take much time. I think they actually did it as I was sitting there

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Does it matter?   Why be flustered? I wouldn’t care less if they wanted to do a police check on me.

i was in a fluster as i had forgotten some paperwork on sitting down at the desk  altho it didnt matter as it was all online and she didnt care i didnt have original -   not the police check itself  - that was just a genuine query as thought didnt need one  by time got to citizenship stage -not that it mattered as all approved now and finally at end of road - hurrah ! x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...