Victoria the place to be, Great days out

tracy123

Hi All

Looking for a day out?

Ever thought about Beachworth? Great little town spend a good few hours wondering around the town. One of, if not the best Bakery in Australia!!! On the way there you have Milawa home of Brown Bros great Aussie wine, also some great home made mustards.

Shepparton is another town to put on the list, not much of the way towns go but it classed as the fruitbowl of Australia. It has some great factory outlets on the tinned fruit side.

This area of Victoria is also classed as Ned Kelly country loads of history in and around this area

Be warned you may want to spend the day but it can quickly turn into a long weekend, if you have tried the great ocean road, Phillip Island, Ballarat try some new areas I promise it will not dissapoint!!!

If this tickles your fancy keep watching this thread as I will keep adding to the post on other areas of Victoria

I hope other people can add to this post with areas they have found and enjoyed places to stay and things to do

All the best

Geoffrey

Hi All

Looking for a day out?

Ever thought about Beachworth? Great little town spend a good few hours wondering around the town. One of, if not the best Bakery in Australia!!! On the way there you have Milawa home of Brown Bros great Aussie wine, also some great home made mustards.

Shepparton is another town to put on the list, not much of the way towns go but it classed as the fruitbowl of Australia. It has some great factory outlets on the tinned fruit side.

This area of Victoria is also classed as Ned Kelly country loads of history in and around this area

Be warned you may want to spend the day but it can quickly turn into a long weekend, if you have tried the great ocean road, Phillip Island, Ballarat try some new areas I promise it will not dissapoint!!!

If this tickles your fancy keep watching this thread as I will keep adding to the post on other areas of Victoria

I hope other people can add to this post with areas they have found and enjoyed places to stay and things to do

All the best

Geoffrey

Here here, I would be interested to know all about Mornington and surrounding areas there please.

Here here, Beechworth is great, so is Bright love Bright and the people there are doing it hard at the moment, since the fires. So support Bright expect they are doing ok this winter though with the snow being good.

It you are at Beechworth nip over to Yackandandah love the place.

We go to the high country every summer lovely place to be. Lots of great walks on Mount Buffalo.

Mornington, well Mornington was a small seaside village but is now much larger, there is the beachside of the highway which is desirable and can be expensive and the the other side of the highway which is nice but very new, mostly new houses and a variety of prices going on size of land and house. Mount Martha is right next door and is a nice place to live also. The township of Mornington is on the beachside and consists of a long main street down to the sea. There are a couple of small shopping centres there and you can get most things in Mornington. Very popular with day trippers coming down for coffee and sit around in the summer. Can be a bit cold in the winter as the wind whistles straight up the Main Street. Has clubs and pubs which my daughter goes to every week. Japanese Restaurant, Thai, chinese used to be an excellent alacarte restaurant which was there for years and years but it closed unfortunately.

High Schools, primary Schools, Bunnings nowhere is anywhere without Bunnings. (Large warehouse hardware store). Lots of sporting clubs, soccer, footy, baseball, tennis, golf courses. Most things you need. Very popular for people who like to be near the bay.

Guest taffy 62

Bright is beautiful, and nr by Mt Beauty, plenty to do lovely picnic spots, bushwalking etc.

If your ever get to Rutherglen for the wine tasting make sure you stop off at Parkers Pies they have the best pies in Australia!

Echucha along the Murray river is another good place to visit especially if you hire a houseboat.

If you like your golf theres corowa, cobram, tocumwal.

The Dandenong ranges have Mrs Marples in Sassafras its an english tea house, the desserts are to die for, along with the town of Olinda, beautiful in the winter even snows up there.

Mansfield and the ranges around there with the lakes and snowfields.

And of course if you base yourself in Wodonga your only a few hours drive away from all these places and many more.

OH why did I leave:cry: Nevermind wont be long now and I'll be back:yes:

Guest jonseywife

Hi anxious Mum & all

I would defiinately agree with Forgetmenot about Mornington. We're living on the Mount Martha/Mornington border and love it, and its beautiful all around here, and there is something for everyone.

Mount martha is just a few minutes from Mornington and a little quieter, the houses are out of this world (and out of our price range too!) and have a lovely relaxed feel with great beaches all along the coastline all the way to Portsea.

Sorrento is a great day out too. Lots of places to "do lunch" and shop. nice beach front, boat trips to watch the dolphins or even get in and swim with them and also a ferry which takes you across the bay to Queenscliff, which leads to the Torquay surf beaches, the Ocean road or up to Geelong. So lots of great days out around here......

Have fun

Sally-ann x

P.S. Although I reckon you wouldnt want to live here !!!! (There are far too many Poms here is as it is!!!!! :twitcy:)

Hi anxious Mum & all

I would defiinately agree with Forgetmenot about Mornington. We're living on the Mount Martha/Mornington border and love it, and its beautiful all around here, and there is something for everyone.

Mount martha is just a few minutes from Mornington and a little quieter, the houses are out of this world (and out of our price range too!) and have a lovely relaxed feel with great beaches all along the coastline all the way to Portsea.

Sorrento is a great day out too. Lots of places to "do lunch" and shop. nice beach front, boat trips to watch the dolphins or even get in and swim with them and also a ferry which takes you across the bay to Queenscliff, which leads to the Torquay surf beaches, the Ocean road or up to Geelong. So lots of great days out around here......

Have fun

Sally-ann x

P.S. Although I reckon you wouldnt want to live here !!!! (There are far too many Poms here is as it is!!!!! :twitcy:)

Hi, Yeah we definately are gonna look at those areas when we come over for looksy in March. Cant wait. Are the houses really expensive then?

If you want to go a bit further out to a nice little place you could try Orbost - it's out in Eastern Gippsland and close to Marlo beach which is quite unspoiled and a super bit of beach. It's a veg out and fish kind of life.

Hi All glad this thread is working and people are adding to it.

Another great day out is an historic town called Maldon! I spent a few of my teenage years growing up here. If your into gnomes they have a gnome making factory there, and I worked there helping make, and paint them.

The best way to describe the the place is Its Sovereign Hill with a tarmac road running through it,Maldon.jpg everything in that town is old, it still has a steam train running everyday, I still have a collection of coins crushed by the train LOL.

Other thing to try is yabbying in the local dams (if they have any water in them) all you need is some twine with a small peice of meat and you will have fresh water prawns (taste wise)tinaroo-redclaw-yabbie.jpg if you go at the right time of year they have blackburry bushes everywhere these 2 things alone will keep your kids entertained for hours.

On the way through stop off at Castlemaine and get some CASTLEMAINE ROCK thats right the Aussies make it aswell!!!!!

1/2 an hour up the road is Bendigo with mine tours, and tram rides. great old buildings and a tipical large country town with an old worldly feel modernised.

Its about an 1hr and half out of Melbourne on the way to Bendigo.

Guest sanders family

Fantastic post i cant wait till i get there im so excited keep them coming I'm make a booklet of place to visit on the computar so i will be prepared to keep us and the kids happy:smile: thank you and then when we are over there we can add to the post as well.

Come on people, we need more ideas. I want to find lots of things for the kids to do both in Melbourne and Mornington areas. Dont want them to have any excuse that they were bored and put off when we go for rekkie. (We are gonna be spending alot of time doing the boring adult stuff, like looking for an area to live, so need lots of ideas for the days when we just do kids stuff) Help

Guest Dobbsy Family

Hi - read that you live in Mount Martha. We are a family of 5 in the process of emigrating and it looks like we will be heading to Victoria. We don't want to live in Melbourne, but somewhere a little further along the coast. I have noticed on threads that M.M gets mentioned lots as a good place to live. Wld you mind letting us know about such things as house prices etcc..We have 3 young girls who will need to go to school of course. I, Caroline, am a primary teacher and will be looking to get a job in a catholic school. I worked in one for a year in a place called Griffith in NSW - pre- hubby and kids and it had a great reputation. We basically want a better quality lifestyle than what we have here - we like the idea of being close to the beach.

How long have u guys been living there?? - do u find it better than UK - cheaper at all???

Any help or advice would be well appreciated - this whole emigration idea is very scary, especially with little ones in tow, but you obviously made a success of it!!

Look forward to hearing from you guys!!

Regards

Caroline, Mark. Caitlin, Eleanor and Lydia

x

Guest Dobbsy Family

Hi - us again - sorry I was meaning to send this message to Sally- Ann who posted a reply earlier.

Thanx

Caroline

x

Guest Hello Kitty
Hi All

Looking for a day out?

All the best

Geoffrey

I agree with you regarding Beechworth but as it is a three hour drive from Melbourne than staying overnight would be a good idea.

We went last year and enjoyed our stay. The streetscape of the town is virtually unaltered since the late 1800's and has an interesting 'gold rush' history. There are lots of nice cafes, shops etc. to explore and the Beechworth Bakery is great for my favourite 'bee sting' which is a custard filled cake with honey and almonds on top - yum!!

Not sure about Shepparton though as I prefer the smaller more character filled towns.

Another nice character filled town with an Irish feel is Port Fairy which is on the great ocean road. This has the added bonus of having a great beach, golf course and a nice, historical streetscape. Plenty of good places to eat too.

Lorne and Apollo bay on the Great Ocean Road are also great places to visit and there are lots of accommodation options in those areas though it can get very busy in summer.

Guest Hello Kitty
Come on people, we need more ideas. I want to find lots of things for the kids to do both in Melbourne and Mornington areas. Dont want them to have any excuse that they were bored and put off when we go for rekkie. (We are gonna be spending alot of time doing the boring adult stuff, like looking for an area to live, so need lots of ideas for the days when we just do kids stuff) Help

How old are your kids? When are you coming? This will help me come up with some ideas for you.

Guest Hello Kitty

Sovereign Hill is a great day out. We have been twice with the kids and we all really enjoyed it.

It is very well done with lots of attention to detail and it is not tacky at all. The kids can pan for gold which is good fun and they do actually put small amounts of gold in their and the occassional nugget.

The main street is an accurate depiction of life in Ballarat during the gold rush (1850's). The kids can visit the school house and sit through a typical lesson of the era. They get to write with real ink and if they do anything the slightest bit wrong the very strict teacher pretends to give them the strap.

There is a replica of the gold fields which is excellent, authentic and done really well. They have locals that volunteer and dress up in the clothing of the era and play characters such as miners, police, teachers etc. and wander around giving the place plenty of atmosphere. There is a gold mine that you can tour which is good fun also.

You could easily spend a day there and you can actually stay at Sovereign Hill itself if you want and stay for the nightly 'blood on the southern cross' light show.

A fantastic day out for anyone at all interesting in history and gold rush era. The kids really enjoyed it but I would recommend not going during school holidays as it gets very busy.

www.sovereignhill.com.au

Guest jonseywife

Try this link everyone...........

Melbourne Tours, Things to Do in Melbourne & Melbourne Sightseeing Tours | Viator.com

It should keep everyone amused and looks like you'll need more than just a couple of weeks to do it all !!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and have fun

Sally-ann :smile:

This is really a question for Geoffrey but I thought other people might be interested in the answer! We are staying in Mornington next week and would like to go over to Philip Island for the day. I know you can drive over the causeway from San Remo but I understand there is a ferry from Crib Point which is nearer. Is this a car ferry or just a passenger ferry? And if it is a passenger ferry, would we still be able to see the Koalas and Penguins if we didn't have a car with us? Last question, will it be b****y freezing cold??!

Thanks Geoffrey - I'm sure I remember that you come from Philip Island? Any other recommendations would be very gratefully received, bearing in mind that we'll have my one-year old nephew with us.

Yvonne.

This is really a question for Geoffrey but I thought other people might be interested in the answer! We are staying in Mornington next week and would like to go over to Philip Island for the day. I know you can drive over the causeway from San Remo but I understand there is a ferry from Crib Point which is nearer. Is this a car ferry or just a passenger ferry? And if it is a passenger ferry, would we still be able to see the Koalas and Penguins if we didn't have a car with us? Last question, will it be b****y freezing cold??!

Thanks Geoffrey - I'm sure I remember that you come from Philip Island? Any other recommendations would be very gratefully received, bearing in mind that we'll have my one-year old nephew with us.

Yvonne.

Sorry I don't know about the ferry???!!!!

I would take the car for sure, if you get to San Remo for 10am you can watch the Pelicans being fed.

On the way in you will pass by the big worm on your right, well worth a look there you can see a great white shark (its dead) but its a tank of water that you can walk around WARNING It may put you off swimming in the sea LOL.

They have loads of Australian animals that you can see as well.

You also have another park simuliar to this on the Island without the shark!!!! Be warned to watch the Emu's with the food they will chase you so best to hide it!!!!

The Kola park is hit and miss you can see loads or a few it just depends on how good your eyesight is...

You have seal rocks i believe that is free to get into now (not 100%) or you can go out on a charter to see them up close.

When you go to the penguin parade rug up warm and take a pillow as you sit on concrete!! get there nice and early as it gets busy, its expensive for what it is but once again worth a look.

The Phillip Is GP track is worth a look ( keep your hubby happy) Church Island is a nice place to go for lunch and a walk around.

Smiths Beach is where you want to go if you want to learn to surf and its not that dear, but the beach on Cowes is great for the kids to have a paddle.

You can spend an hour or so on the main street looking through the gift shops. There are a few other things you can see and do that are spread across the Island.

One other thing to look out for as you drive in (opposite the dairy) is a surf shop it has a wave with a surf board in it where you can take a photo tacky i know but its a holiday thing you have to do LOL

As you can see, you can spend the day there plenty to see and do. I hope this answers your question Yvonne?

All the best

Geoffrey

map_phillip_island.jpg

Guest Pete da Wombat

Hi Evie, it is a passenger ferry only and it stops running at 5.30 so no good for the penguins but i would recommend taking the car anyway because there is a lot to do on the island. The weather is freezing at the moment and it always seems colder down there on the beach so dress very warm. One other attraction you may be interested in is the pelican feeding near the bridge at 11.30am.

Pete

Thanks Pete - that's useful. My sister keeps saying it's freezing in Melbourne at the moment but I just accuse her of going soft since moving to Oz! She's forgotten what real cold weather is like... On this 'fine' August day in the UK, I am wearing boots, socks, a jumper and I have my coat with me. At least your winter won't come as too much of a shock next week!

Archived