491 visa - what does the sponsor do?

Hi

if a family member sponsors your for a 491 visa what do they actually have to do? Do they have to employ you? 

Also once the 5 years is up what is the next route - can you apply for citizenship or do you then need to look at other visa options? 

sorry if these are daft questions, I’m really struggling with the Aussie immigration website! 

Thanks for your reply. I thought that was the case, it might still be worth me looking into as being onshore and getting Australian work experience would put me in a better position for points for other PR visas, plus avoids the need to do 2 years in VIC. 

just need to establish if my brother would be able to sponsor me now. 

21 minutes ago, RebeccaKate84 said:

Thanks for your reply. I’m already with an agent, currently in the process of gathering paperwork for the 190 visa for VIC, but just wondered if it was worth asking my agent about the 491 as a possible route straight into WA which is where we want to be long term. 

If you have an agent, you should ask them ... that’s what they are being paid for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paulhand said:

If you have an agent, you should ask them ... that’s what they are being paid for. 

Well thank you for that friendly and helpful reply. I was simply trying to establish if it was worth investigating this route but apologies if you feel asking a simple question was an inappropriate use of a forum 🙄

3 hours ago, RebeccaKate84 said:

Well thank you for that friendly and helpful reply. I was simply trying to establish if it was worth investigating this route but apologies if you feel asking a simple question was an inappropriate use of a forum 🙄

Sorry you took it that way ... I should have added a 😀. My view is that if you are paying a qualified professional to manage your application, you will get a more accurate answer by asking them. I’d be pretty sad if one of my clients felt that they needed to ask for additional advice on a forum, even one as well managed as this one.  If you already have an agent, none of the agents on the forum are able to address your specific questions. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, RebeccaKate84 said:

Paul’s reply really was meant to be helpful I’m sure.. He is a highly regarded agent on this forum. Whilst many people on here will give helpful suggestions/advice, there has been many times their advice has been incorrect as helpful as we try to be,  what we think is right isn’t always, or it may have been a few years ago and we are not aware of changes. I’d say it makes sense for those doing their own applications to ask for tips/help on here as they may we’ll gain some useful information but if you’re paying a professional to help you why ask people that aren’t professional.  What if people gave you the wrong answers? You’d go along thinking you were on some pathway which could be completely wrong. Why risk that when you have an expert at your disposal.  

been years ago and general memne

11 hours ago, RebeccaKate84 said:

currently in the process of gathering paperwork for the 190 visa for VIC, but just wondered if it was worth asking my agent about the 491 as a possible route straight into WA which is where we want to be long term. 

Be mindful that currently the 190 program for Victoria is closed as is the 491.

13 hours ago, RebeccaKate84 said:

Thanks for your reply. I’m already with an agent, currently in the process of gathering paperwork for the 190 visa for VIC, but just wondered if it was worth asking my agent about the 491 as a possible route straight into WA which is where we want to be long term. 

If you've got a good agent, he will automatically investigate all possible visas and then tell you which one gives you the best chance.   So if he hasn't suggested the 491, ask him why not - he must have had a good reason to dismiss it as an option for you.

One possibility is that the quota for a family-sponsored 491 in WA is so small, you'd stand very little chance.   As you probably know, you can have all the qualifications and experience and points and still not get invited, because of quota limitations.

I must say, my view of the 491 has changed totally since Covid.  The 491 is designed to force migrants to settle in regional areas instead of the major cities - and the hope is that by the time you've lived there for 3 or 4 years and are ready to apply for PR, you're so settled that you won't move.  I always thought that meant 491 holders were a bit special - the visa is not permanent, but the government really wants you to succeed and stay, so it's a good option. Covid has blown that out of the water - 491 holders have been classified as "temporary" and being treated very shabbily, missing out on government support and subject to unfair travel restrictions.  

With that in mind, I no longer trust the government to play fair with 491 visa holders - and for that reason, I'd always go for certainty (the 190) over uncertainty (the 491), even if it means living in another state for a while.  You're planning to migrate to Australia for the rest of your life - in that context, two years is a mere blip, and you'll be only a 4-hour flight away instead of 24 hours, so plenty of opportunity to get together. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, paulhand said:

Sorry you took it that way ... I should have added a 😀. My view is that if you are paying a qualified professional to manage your application, you will get a more accurate answer by asking them. I’d be pretty sad if one of my clients felt that they needed to ask for additional advice on a forum, even one as well managed as this one.  If you already have an agent, none of the agents on the forum are able to address your specific questions. 

Hii Paul

Sometimes agents don't give full info as well. They only tell what is relevant to them. Happened with me. She is right collecting info. You are very prompt and good one in providing info. Hav been seeing you with good advice whenever asked for👌🙏.

Much appreciated your efforts and time out from your schedule for us. 

Apologies if I annoyed you. But you are awesome.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi, regarding family sponsorship only a small amount are given and your occupation has to be on the main list. A state sponsored 491 is more probable. I also note the op has opted to apply for a 190 in Vic. They are extremely picky who they nominate even if you ticked all their boxes. One thing they fail to tell you is that if you have family in another state they are extremely reluctant to sponsor you and more than likely to reject your eoi. Happened to people we know. They did however say that a job contract/irrevocable offer of employment with commencement date they would reconsider the nomination. Issue is that you need to declare any family in Australia and then they say thank you for your money thus far, all the best. 

I can't see Vic providing nomination unfortunately unless already living and working there. 

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 22:10, Raul Senise said:

Be mindful that currently the 190 program for Victoria is closed as is the 491.

Yep. Just getting all paperwork in order so as soon as we can submit the eoi we are ready. Vic for the 190 as my occupation (secondary science teacher) is on their state sponsor list, WA for the family 491 if we decide to go down that route. 

On 26/08/2020 at 08:43, WelderGuy5 said:

Hii Paul

Sometimes agents don't give full info as well. They only tell what is relevant to them. Happened with me. She is right collecting info. You are very prompt and good one in providing info. Hav been seeing you with good advice whenever asked for👌🙏.

Much appreciated your efforts and time out from your schedule for us. 

Apologies if I annoyed you. But you are awesome.

Cheers

Thanks for that. Of course I go through my agent before I actually do anything, but I do like to gather info before I go bombarding her with questions, especially ones that I suspect I can easily find the answer for! 

14 hours ago, Southlander said:

Hi, regarding family sponsorship only a small amount are given and your occupation has to be on the main list. A state sponsored 491 is more probable. I also note the op has opted to apply for a 190 in Vic. They are extremely picky who they nominate even if you ticked all their boxes. One thing they fail to tell you is that if you have family in another state they are extremely reluctant to sponsor you and more than likely to reject your eoi. Happened to people we know. They did however say that a job contract/irrevocable offer of employment with commencement date they would reconsider the nomination. Issue is that you need to declare any family in Australia and then they say thank you for your money thus far, all the best. 

I can't see Vic providing nomination unfortunately unless already living and working there. 

My agent seems to think we have a reasonable chance with the 190, I’m just waiting on registration with VIT. 

Teaching is not on WAs state sponsor list for offshore applicants so would have to be the family route - the only advantage to us of the 491 is that it would allow us to go straight to WA (where we want to be long term) unlike the 190 where I will have to do 2 years in Vic first - but it’s all part of the adventure and we may end up loving Vic 😁

as these seem to be our only options we have no choice but to give it a go, regardless of chances. 

45 minutes ago, RebeccaKate84 said:

My agent seems to think we have a reasonable chance with the 190, I’m just waiting on registration with VIT. 

Teaching is not on WAs state sponsor list for offshore applicants so would have to be the family route - the only advantage to us of the 491 is that it would allow us to go straight to WA (where we want to be long term) unlike the 190 where I will have to do 2 years in Vic first - but it’s all part of the adventure and we may end up loving Vic 😁

as these seem to be our only options we have no choice but to give it a go, regardless of chances. 

Worth asking your agent specifically about having a relative in another state, that sounds like a real concern

54 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Worth asking your agent specifically about having a relative in another state, that sounds like a real concern

Not much I can do about that, can hardly get rid of my brother 🤣 

my agent hasn’t raised it as a concern so far so clearly she doesn’t feel it’s an issue. 

1 minute ago, RebeccaKate84 said:

Not much I can do about that, can hardly get rid of my brother 🤣 

my agent hasn’t raised it as a concern so far so clearly she doesn’t feel it’s an issue. 

I hope she is MARA registered 

I think it’s still worth raising it

Edited by Marisawright

It's really not easy especially if it is not your first choice state. But we are all here trying to get in one way or another so understand why you are taking a punt. I would also find out what the teaching requirements are in wa, teaching may just come back on the list October so don't want to be caught out if registration is required and can skip the  Vic route. 

I would ask your agent about relatives in other states whilst applying to Vic. It may just be the case that certain occupations may just get away with it but am aware it is a real issue with them. Vic is one of the few states that has most of the occupations listed for 190 but doesn't mean they'll sponsor, so it's easy for the mara to say we'll approach Vic as they are sponsoring and there is no mention of issues regarding family in other states so they would be "optimistic", but reality is they would know the family in another state is an issue. Having a family member in oz is only a benefit if you are moving to that state all other circumstances it has a negative affect on your application or is no benefit at all. A person with no family ties in oz and never stepped foot on their soil has better chance of sponsorship from Vic as they are not a risk of moving interstate once pr is granted. Fingers crossed for you nevertheless, keep us all updated. 🙂

• Like 1