Anyone had success being granted COVID 19 Excemption to leave

Mischiefshoes

Anyone had success being granted COVID 19 Excemption to leave.

My husband and I are  both dual citizens of Australia and UK  and need  to return to the UK in July and not return until the end of Nov 2020  on compassionate grounds. I lost my Dad in the UK to Covid 19 in April  and had a funeral via zoom. We now need to bury his ashes,deal with his affairs and clear his house and care for my widowed mother in law who is in her 70's.

We have applied to Home Affairs online twice, the first time we were rejected due to insufficient information. 

I deally we want to return and not give up our jobs however we have heard of people being allowed to leave if they say they are not coming back and can show proof of resigning from their jobs and giving up their homes. How has anyone done this? 

We totally understand and appreciate the Govt not wanting people to move around the World on a whim and the issue of the cost for the quarantine on our return ( we would be happy to contribute to this). However, the lack of information, feedback or policy is very stressful.. 

15 minutes ago, Mischiefshoes said:

My husband and I are  both dual citizens of Australia and UK  and need  to return to the UK in July and not return until the end of Nov 2020  on compassionate grounds. I lost my Dad in the UK to Covid 19 in April  and had a funeral via zoom. We now need to bury his ashes,deal with his affairs and clear his house and care for my widowed mother in law who is in her 70's.

We have applied to Home Affairs online twice, the first time we were rejected due to insufficient information. 

I deally we want to return and not give up our jobs however we have heard of people being allowed to leave if they say they are not coming back and can show proof of resigning from their jobs and giving up their homes. How has anyone done this? 

We totally understand and appreciate the Govt not wanting people to move around the World on a whim and the issue of the cost for the quaraFirstly, condolences on the loss of your father.ntine on our return ( we would be happy to contribute to this). However, the lack of information, feedback or policy is very stressful.. 

Firstly, condolences on the loss of your father.

The people giving up their jobs etc are those leaving permanently.  People are being granted exemptions, though it may take a few applications to get accepted. A migration agent friend of mine advised me this week - for most people who are rejected, its due to lack of supporting information, so give them everything possible. Proof your mother needs assistance(medical letter if necessary) , proof the original funeral was online etc. He also said that agents are willing to help if necessary, so reach out to one if you keep getting knocked back. 

24 minutes ago, Mischiefshoes said:

What information did you give them?  Remember, they're not going to just take your word for things.  To play devil's advocate, I can see how they might poke holes in your request.   The funeral has taken place so there is no urgency to bury the ashes.  If your MIL is still residing in their joint home, then there is no urgency to clear his belongings.   If your MIL isn't able to take care of herself, then how is she managing now?  And how will she manage when you return in November?

Let's say your MIL wants to downsize or move into aged care, but is too frail to manage the house clearance and move.   That sounds far more convincing but I think you'd need get a letter from her doctor to support your case.   Many people in their 70's would be well able to manage all that on their own. You'd also need to show that you've got no other family members able to do the work.   You could apply under "urgent personal business"  rather than compassionate reasons, whichmakes it clearer that you're travelling because you're genuinely needed at home, not because you want to be near family. 

The "urgent personal business" category is also how you apply if you're leaving permanently.  You need to provide proof that you're winding up your life in Australia - things like acknowledgments of your notice from your employer, a sale agreement with a real estate agent to put your house on the market,  a quote from a removals firm to ship your belongings. 

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Mischiefshoes said:

We totally understand and appreciate the Govt not wanting people to move around the World on a whim and the issue of the cost for the quarantine on our return ( we would be happy to contribute to this). However, the lack of information, feedback or policy is very stressful.. 

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.  It's a bugger, isnt it?  I think you could do the urgent personal business thing - are you his executor? I guess they could argue that you could hire a firm to clear his house and then you could put it on the market remotely but that wouldnt account for personal belongings which might be included under his will.  Whilst it is perfectly possible to sell a house from overseas it isnt exactly a walk in the park!  I have yet to deal with will execution being overseas but I think I might be in for a rocky road and might have to return to UK to at least get that under way but as more things are being done remotely these days it might be easier than it once would have been.

I assume your mother in law is a separate issue - is she independent at the moment? Will you be looking at arranging ongoing care for her or some other thing. In her 70s she might be considered quite independent and able to take responsibility for her own decisions.  I think an agent would be your best bet to make the strongest argument.

I assume you'd be planning on going for some time though - the thought of 2 weeks isolation on arrival in UK then 2 weeks isolation on arrival back makes any short term visit impractical (believe me, I've considered it recently) - I guess 3 months would be more palatable.