Emotional blackmail

Aussiebird

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That is cheap. I'd make sure that any airport you're intending to fly through is open for transit passengers as most aren't at the moment, and there are many restrictions on the few which are. I know Doha has stayed open throughout, and flights with Qatar Airlines have become very expensive as they've been the only option for a couple of months (about £1,000 one-way). The other airlines are still more than happy to take your money of course, even if your flight is likely to get cancelled! My wife is due to fly on the 2nd July with Singapore Airlines. Changi Airport stated they were going to allow transit passengers from 11th June. However, I've just learnt they're only allowing passengers travelling from Australia/NZ to other destinations at the moment - not the other way around! It's still 3 weeks away but we may need to cancel the shipping arrangements unless they open up further, or my poor wife will be stuck in an empty house - and I'll be stuck in the dog house!

Monday 29th June £1830 Qatar Airways, I've only been watching Qatar really knowing these are the only airline flying at present.

Daughters passport should be here this morning so will be booking then.

Also to top everything off SA are opening there borders on 20th July the day we arrive from VIC 👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Monday 29th June £1830 Qatar Airways, I've only been watching Qatar really knowing these are the only airline flying at present.

Also to top everything off SA are opening there borders on 20th July the day we arrive from VIC 👍

More airlines are now opening up flights into Australia from July. When looking at flights, don't go by price alone though, some flights are cheap because they have a long transit time, and when travelling all that way, that's the last thing you need ! 

We did that once and never again, it was awful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

However, I've just learnt they're only allowing passengers travelling from Australia/NZ to other destinations at the moment - not the other way around! 

Yes, we are watching for release of any updates daily. However, I'm sure they will allow more transit passengers very very soon and your wife will be fine to fly. Singapore is an extremely organised country and their airport is fantastic, they will be brilliant at organising safe methods and routes through the airport for transit passengers. I have every faith our flight will go ahead 😊
If our flight does get cancelled, we'll have nowhere to live, so I'm being as optimistic as I can !

Hope your wife lands safely in lovely Brisbane as planned.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AliQ said:

More airlines are now opening up flights into Australia from July. When looking at flights, don't go by price alone though, some flights are cheap because they have a long transit time, and when travelling all that way, that's the last thing you need ! 

We did that once and never again, it was awful.

On the other hand, a long transit time can be wonderful if it's long enough to have a shower and a sleep in an airside transit hotel (meaning you don't have to leave the airport or even go through immigration).    We did that once about twenty years ago, and since then, I wouldn't do it any other way.   The transit hotels are sometimes a bit basic (but I don't care because all I want to do is sleep), or they are fancy and expensive (but I think the rest is priceless so I don't care).     

It makes a huge difference to how fresh I feel when I land at my eventual destination and definitely cuts my  jetlag.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

On the other hand, a long transit time can be wonderful if it's long enough to have a shower and a sleep in an airside transit hotel (meaning you don't have to leave the airport or even go through immigration).    We did that once about twenty years ago, and since then, I wouldn't do it any other way.   The transit hotels are sometimes a bit basic (but I don't care because all I want to do is sleep), or they are fancy and expensive (but I think the rest is priceless so I don't care).     

It makes a huge difference to how fresh I feel when I land at my eventual destination and definitely cuts my  jetlag.

True, it is nice to freshen up before the nest leg, but at the moment most transit hotels & facilities are kept closed (apart from the toilet) because of the virus, Singapore Airport has strict measures in place at the moment,.

But in normal times, when the airport shops are open, it's lovely - if you are at a decent airport that is !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AliQ said:

True, it is nice to freshen up before the next leg, but at the moment most transit hotels & facilities are kept closed (apart from the toilet) because of the virus, Singapore Airport has strict measures in place at the moment,.

But in normal times, when the airport shops are open, it's lovely - if you are at a decent airport that is !

The shops make no difference to me, because I don't have an actual stopover.  I aim for 8 to 10 hours, which is long enough for me to have a really good sleep.  If I have a little more time, I'll book a massage or have a dip in the swimming pool if they have one.  I'll probably have a good walk around the airport but rarely bother stopping in the shops.  It's all about the sleep (I can't sleep on a plane).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The shops make no difference to me, because I don't have an actual stopover.  I aim for 8 to 10 hours, which is long enough for me to have a really good sleep.  If I have a little more time, I'll book a massage or have a dip in the swimming pool if they have one.  I'll probably have a good walk around the airport but rarely bother stopping in the shops.  It's all about the sleep (I can't sleep on a plane).

That's why I LOVE Singapore Airport, all that is in the transit zone, and more !

Just a shame that on our upcoming return to Aus via Singapore Airport, all that nice stuff is not open due to the virus.

• Like 1

I can't sleep on planes either, although I don't think I'd be too worried if I was flying here at the moment. Two weeks confined in to a hotel room, so plenty of time to catch up on sleep. I feel bad for my wife but at the same time I'm glad it's not me! I love the outdoors so I couldn't think of anything worse.

• Like 1

So, house now on the market,  early days but no enquiries as yet.

My mum has been alot better the last few days, I think someone has had a word with her as she has been lot better and not upsettig me with horrible messges, BUT i sense she is up to something,  as gone from one extreme to the other, maybe she is hoping our house wont sell during these difficult times and we wont be able to make the move, so the thought of that makes her happier!! Who knows!!

But enjoying the peace and quiet from emotional blackmail at the moment.

With regards to selling up, is anyone struggling to sell?

Xx

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

With regards to selling up, is anyone struggling to sell?

Yes. We've had half a dozen viewings since the lockdown was lifted but no offers yet. All those who've viewed so far have their properties on the market but not under offer yet. I'm guessing that those at the end of the chain who are first-time buyers might not wish to commit to a mortgage if they're worried about job security, and if you're a cash buyer you might be waiting for a drop in prices. We're just trying to decide whether it's going to be worth renting our place out for a year or so until things improve, but then you've still got to sell it sometime unless you intend to return there in the future (which we don't!).

On 13/06/2020 at 15:07, Lavers said:

Sounds good. I hope it all works out as planned. We paid £460 for my wife's flight with Singapore Airlines as it's a direct flight into Brisbane. Queensland's borders are still closed so we didn't want to have any rigmarole (and additional expense) of her getting up to Brisbane after the two-week quarantine period.

• Like 1