Good town areas to live in in Southern Australia (Adelaide & Melbourne areas)

Rosie R

Hey! If you've read my other house post I said my family are probably moving back to Australia in the near future and I posted on here just to get an idea of some good town areas in Southern Australia.

This isn't urgent or anything, and my family has a general idea of what we are looking for, but I'm just on here for some additional insight from anyone living in Oz! 

The statement is quite vague sorry! But basically I'm wondering what town areas are 'good' to live in near the Adelaide area and also the Melbourne area.

Somewhere near to the water (if possible), not too far away from main cities (we will have a car and don't mind driving around 40min-1 hour to get to the big city but would prefer it to be nearer if possible), ideally with a few shops/food places (because I'm a teenager and don't want to be bored 😂).

This is a difficult question that I'm sure would be hard to answer, but if you live in or have visited any towns in those areas what would their pros and cons be in terms of quality of life, accessibility to main cities & stuff like that, stuff to do etc. Anything would be appreciated! 

Again, sorry for the extremely vague question!

Thanks, have a good day! 

The trouble with Australia is that there's a long distance between towns and cities.   In Britain, you can live in a village and commute into a nearby city.  In Australia, once you leave the outskirts of Adelaide or Melbourne, it's a fairly long drive to get to the first town.   Especially Melbourne - drive an hour from the centre of Melbourne and you're still in the middle of the suburbs. 

There's a site called Homely.com.au which has reviews of suburbs and towns:

https://www.homely.com.au/find-places

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Especially Melbourne - drive an hour from the centre of Melbourne and you're still in the middle of the suburbs. 

It depends on which direction you're travelling though.  I'm in Lara on the outskirts of Geelong and outside peak hour, it takes 40 to 60 minutes to drive to Melbourne CBD depending on traffic - close enough that a lot of people commute by car or train to Melbourne for work and easy to go up for a concert/show/shopping at Costco, but also far enough away that we're not part of Melbourne itself.  I'm 5 minutes drive from Coles and Woolworths, 20 mins from large shopping centres in Geelong, Waurn Ponds or Werribee and 40 mins from beaches (bay beaches on the Bellerine Peninsula or surf beaches, eg, Torquay).