143 visa affected by Covid pandemic?

MTC

Hi.... We are waiting for the 143 having our application acknowledged on 08/11/2016 and  just wondering how the ongoing pandemic is going to affect the 143 visa. Just read that they are cutting down on some others especially the low skill temp visas. Anybody here in the know if the 143 visas might go up or be further reduced? Thank you for sharing.

8 minutes ago, Arti said:

Here is a thread where you can find some info.

Thanks Arti, but this thread is pre-covid. Looking for information as to whether the 143 visas will be slowed down or hastened due to Covid.

3 hours ago, MTC said:

Hi.... We are waiting for the 143 having our application acknowledged on 08/11/2016 and  just wondering how the ongoing pandemic is going to affect the 143 visa. Just read that they are cutting down on some others especially the low skill temp visas. Anybody here in the know if the 143 visas might go up or be further reduced? Thank you for sharing.

I can’t imagine it will go up. If it changes at all numbers will reduce.  In a struggling economy, a load of oldies turning up is not what you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillieB said:

Hi,

The thread is current and has great information, including Covid-19 discussions. 

11 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I can’t imagine it will go up. If it changes at all numbers will reduce.  In a struggling economy, a load of oldies turning up is not what you need.

Logical deduction though I don't like the idea of a reduced number 😞

6 minutes ago, MTC said:

Logical deduction though I don't like the idea of a reduced number 😞

Neither do I, I’m in the queue too. But I’m also in the real world, of course they won’t increase the number of parents getting visas.  They have an economy to try and fix, thousands of extra granny and grandpas turning up won’t help. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

I actually think that most on 143 will NOT be such a burden. After all, they hv contributed a sizeable amount besides financial sponsorship. Also they would hv cleared medicals. On the positive side, they will add value to the economy via helping with grandkids and cooking and domestic chores. This will release local labour into the economy and lessen need for more immigration. Don't you agree?

Edited by MTC

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

I actually think that most on 143 will NOT be such a burden. After all, they hv contributed a sizeable amount besides financial sponsorship. Also they would hv cleared medicals. On the positive side, they will add value to the economy via helping with grandkids and cooking and domestic chores. This will release local labour into the economy and lessen need for more immigration. Don't you agree?

No

36 minutes ago, MTC said:

No.
 Many 60 year olds would clear a medical now and 20 years later need 24 hour care or at very least, expensive joint replacements/cancer care.  As for helping with grandkids, I’m sure the economy would fair better if a childminder/nursery was used for this, that’s another job created.  I can’t imagine everyone would be moving to the other side of the world to do someone’s domestic chores but for those that do, how is that going to help the economy.  It may release a few into the labour market as you say that wouldn’t otherwise work but very few and that would in no way cover the possible tens of thousands of dollars in aged care that’s round the corner. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...
On 04/05/2020 at 08:09, MTC said:

On 04/05/2020 at 08:44, Tulip1 said:

No.
 Many 60 year olds would clear a medical now and 20 years later need 24 hour care or at very least, expensive joint replacements/cancer care.  As for helping with grandkids, I’m sure the economy would fair better if a childminder/nursery was used for this, that’s another job created.  I can’t imagine everyone would be moving to the other side of the world to do someone’s domestic chores but for those that do, how is that going to help the economy.  It may release a few into the labour market as you say that wouldn’t otherwise work but very few and that would in no way cover the possible tens of thousands of dollars in aged care that’s round the corner. 

As one of those 'oldies' that you refer too, (I have recently just turned 60) and being of sound mind & body, I feel my daughter & son in law  would very much benefit from having us there to help with childcare & chores. Facetime & whatsapp are a wonderful tool for keeping in touch but there is nothing quite like the hands on support you can give your children. After all, isn't this the reason for applying for the visa in the first place. FAMILY. For me the sizeable financial outlay we are prepared to make to the Australian government is nothing compared to the time we will be able to spend with our grandchild.  

3 hours ago, Jo Newbie said:

As one of those 'oldies' that you refer too, (I have recently just turned 60) and being of sound mind & body, I feel my daughter & son in law  would very much benefit from having us there to help with childcare & chores. Facetime & whatsapp are a wonderful tool for keeping in touch but there is nothing quite like the hands on support you can give your children. After all, isn't this the reason for applying for the visa in the first place. FAMILY. For me the sizeable financial outlay we are prepared to make to the Australian government is nothing compared to the time we will be able to spend with our grandchild.  

I’m sure your daughter and son in law would benefit, it sounds like they’ll have childcare on tap and someone doing their chores.  No, I don’t believe this is the reason for applying for the visa, certainly not for many.  I too am a parent in the queue (a bit younger than you) and will probably move there one day but not for some years.  Whilst I will enjoy spending time with my family and will happily do a bit of babysitting at times, I am certainly not going there to be their childminder and cleaner, I’ve done my bit.  The point I was making was it’s not a benefit for Australia and their tax payers that may one day be paying for your round the clock care.  They understandably don’t really care if it’s a great idea for your daughter or you, why would they.  They just don’t want to pick up the expensive tab for us ‘oldies’ joint replacements and 24 hour dementia care years down the line.  I’m sure you and everyone else can understand that.  Best of luck with it all, when did you apply? I’m 4 years into the queue now. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

On 04/05/2020 at 17:09, MTC said:

No.  There's no doubt that grandparents enrich the lives of their grandkids, and many also become volunteers in the community.  You'll spend money  in the economy too, while you're alive. But as Tulip1 says, unless you're one of those rare grandparents who migrating to be a drudge for your children, you're not making a huge contribution to the economy.  You could say the reverse, because you're taking jobs away from the nannies and cleaners whom your children would otherwise have to hire.

The big problem is that dying is a slow process for most of us. From the age of about 60, we all start falling to bits, some of us faster than others. I fancy myself and my hubby as fairly fit, but we're starting to go to the doctor more often than when we were young - an arthritic knee, a cataract op, skin cancers, varicose veins.  Statistics show that most over-65s are on at least one medication, and many are on several. The older we get, the more likely we are to get cancer or need hip replacements.  And then there's Alzheimer's.

All that adds up to a heavy burden on the public health system.  The NHS recently did a study which showed that old people cost the NHS four times as much as young people. That's fine, because you've spent your whole life paying taxes so you can get that care in return.  But if you come to Australia, you'll get the same healthcare as Australians, but you haven't paid a cent into the system.  The government has done the research, and the cost of healthcare and aged care for migrating parents is in the millions.  That's why the fee is so high, to go some way towards paying for it all--but it falls far short. 

Some might say that it's a reciprocal thing, and that Australian parents going to the UK will be in the same situation, so it balances out. Unfortunately it doesn't, because there is no equivalent visa for Australian parents who would like to join their children in the UK.

• Like 3