Work visas / permanent residency

James044

Hi all 

i am interested to find out about work visas for 12 months. I know you can get 3/4 within 4 years as long as you have done at least 3 months of work within the required categories.

The question I have is this if I was to get a 12 months work visa and a job lead to full time permanent position would I then be able to apply for a permanent residency? 

I want to see what Australia is like as I live in UK and finding it Very depressing to live. Always had the thoughts of emigrating even from a very young age. (25 at the moment) problem I have is I don’t have a educational background except for a level 4 SCQF in Computing which I obtained through a adult based Education group. I also don’t have any experience. I was thinking of looking at like fruit jobs eg picking / packing as there one of the categories for the work visa to be applied for 2nd / 3rd time. Just to find out as much as possible and if anyone has ever done this method before of going with a work visa and finding out without anything behind them? 

Thanks

You can get up to 3 Working Holiday Visas, with the 2nd and third requiring 3 and 6 months designated work respectively. There is no pathway to permanent residence through these ... you need to have skills in short supply or an Aussie partner to make that transition. 

7 hours ago, James044 said:

i am interested to find out about work visas for 12 months. I know you can get 3/4 within 4 years as long as you have done at least 3 months of work within the required categories.

The question I have is this if I was to get a 12 months work visa and a job lead to full time permanent position would I then be able to apply for a permanent residency? 

No.  You'll hear lots of stories about people coming to Australia on a WHV (Working Holiday Visa), finding an employer to sponsor them and eventually being able to get permanent residency.  Sadly, most of them are just stories.   Employers can't sponsor just anyone.  The occupation still has to be on the skilled list, and you must have all the qualifications and experience specified. There's no way around it.  I do know people who came on a WHV and managed to get sponsored, but they were in their late twenties and already had all the qualfications and experience required.

Why not come to Australia on a WHV and just enjoy 2 or 3 years here while you can?  You're young enough that you can afford to have an adventure and then pick up a career again when you get back.   

7 hours ago, paulhand said:

You can get up to 3 Working Holiday Visas, with the 2nd and third requiring 3 and 6 months designated work respectively. There is no pathway to permanent residence through these ... you need to have skills in short supply or an Aussie partner to make that transition. 

Thanks had a major think today and going to do it properly. Iv applied for a few colleges in UK that’s due to start in September (full time year course this for to get education so can progress onto a second course) the thoughts of moving abroad to live and work has been there as long as I can remember so I know they won’t go away, going to focus on getting what I need to be classed as a skilled worker, interested in electrical / mechanical engineering might take 5/6 years to get everything I require to be able to apply for a skilled Visa but with current situation I won’t get far regarding a visa. 

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No.  You'll hear lots of stories about people coming to Australia on a WHV (Working Holiday Visa), finding an employer to sponsor them and eventually being able to get permanent residency.  Sadly, most of them are just stories.   Employers can't sponsor just anyone.  The occupation still has to be on the skilled list, and you must have all the qualifications and experience specified. There's no way around it.  I do know people who came on a WHV and managed to get sponsored, but they were in their late twenties and already had all the qualfications and experience required.

Why not come to Australia on a WHV and just enjoy 2 or 3 years here while you can?  You're young enough that you can afford to have an adventure and then pick up a career again when you get back.   

Thanks had a major think today and going to do it properly. Iv applied for a few colleges in UK that’s due to start in September (full time year course this for to get education so can progress onto a second course) the thoughts of moving abroad to live and work has been there as long as I can remember so I know they won’t go away, going to focus on getting what I need to be classed as a skilled worker, interested in electrical / mechanical engineering might take 5/6 years to get everything I require to be able to apply for a skilled Visa but with current situation I won’t get far regarding a visa. 

7 hours ago, millski88 said:

I came over at 24 on a WHV and now 32 with citizenship approved. It’s not impossible! But admittedly it was probably easier back then in 2013-14, before the work sponsored routes were tightened up!

I never said it was impossible.  I said it was rare.  You basically need to arrive for your WHV with an occupation that's on the list, and the required qualifications under your belt.  That's the bit most people miss when they dream of coming on a WHV and then getting sponsored.

On 17/04/2020 at 17:44, James044 said:

Thanks had a major think today and going to do it properly. Iv applied for a few colleges in UK that’s due to start in September (full time year course this for to get education so can progress onto a second course) the thoughts of moving abroad to live and work has been there as long as I can remember so I know they won’t go away, going to focus on getting what I need to be classed as a skilled worker, interested in electrical / mechanical engineering might take 5/6 years to get everything I require to be able to apply for a skilled Visa but with current situation I won’t get far regarding a visa. 

It's a long process, your making the right decision by thinking ahead. I've seen too many people fail at this by not fulfilling the requirements properly, being short sited and doing things the easy way. It's a painful process, you'll need luck and determination, all the best!

My one tip would be to make sure the qualification you get and the job you have in the UK is something you really want to do. It may take 5 or 6 years to get the required experience, as you suggested, but who knows what the visa requirements will be at that time and what jobs are on the skills list. You may end up training in something that can't get you to Australia, so you need to make sure you're happy doing what you're doing in case it turns out that you'll be having a career in the UK after all.

• Like 2

I too came on a WHV 15 years ago and been a citizen for the last 10,  it’s not impossible but to be blunt you need have a solid skill in something useful otherwise you going be spending years jumping through hoops on various visas, then the  migration minister comes in and waves his magic wand and chops the list.  End of the journey.

Best advice come on a WHV and if like it and you got something useful under your belt then bung in an application for PR.

16 minutes ago, Joebloggs said:

I did say he needs a solid skill in something useful,  and once he has that under his belt he can bung in PR application.

To be fair, in the first half of your reply you said he needed a solid skill, BUT then you said "best advice is to come on a WHV".   As you know, he'll need to get the solid skill under his belt before he comes on a WHV.   If he's a bit short on experience, he can get the last few months of experience while on his WHV, but he's got to be nearly all the way there before he starts.