Aged pension

Marinulay

Hi... my husband is due his aged pension this year.. Im still waiting for my PR...its been 2.5 years already..and is expected to be another year at least! Were married.

So the question is...will he get the pension as a single man? I assume he wont be able to claim as a couple.đŸ˜Ș

Is that the Australian pension? If he has worked in the UK they will make him apply for a British pension before they give him anything. The Aussie pension depends on what assets and money you have, it is not automatic. Many people get little or nothing by way of a government pension in Australia- it is means tested.

As your husband is married to you he'll be classed as being a member of a couple. The fact that you don't have a PR visa certainly doesn't mean your husband is classed as being single.

As a member of a couple, it means that your income and  assets will be taken into account when they work out how much he will be paid. He'll be paid at the 'Couple Each' rate - same as anyone else who qualifies for an Aged Pension but their partner doesn't. It's not an uncommon situation - plenty of couples only have one partner who qualifies for the Aged Pension, usually due to age.

The 'Couple Each' rate is 50% of the Couple Combined rate but less than the Singles rate.

See here for rates and rules : https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-much-you-can-get

Yes starlight... its the australian pension were talking about. My husband has only worked in Australia..all his life.

Ok Nicknook...thankyou for that. I couldnt fathom whether it would be half of a couple..or single.  Dont think its going to be worth worrying about by the looks of things anyway!

Thanks for your help

Age Pension in Australia is a benefit not an entitlement, you do not pay contributions towards a pension the same as you do through National Insurance Contributions in the UK.  He will have superannuation if he has worked all his life. 

5 hours ago, AJ said:

Age Pension in Australia is a benefit not an entitlement, you do not pay contributions towards a pension the same as you do through National Insurance Contributions in the UK.  He will have superannuation if he has worked all his life. 

Well I think that has answered my own question about the Centrelink aged pension; I have too many assets to get it. I was filling in the form and wondering why they wanted to know not just the rent on my UK home but irritating questions like the area in metres squared and rateable amount.

Even I am entitled to a pension the process has put my off applying for it.

18 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Well I think that has answered my own question about the Centrelink aged pension; I have too many assets to get it. I was filling in the form and wondering why they wanted to know not just the rent on my UK home but irritating questions like the area in metres squared and rateable amount.

Have you got your British pension yet?

39 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I read my post back and thought it sounded like a bit of a lecture!  I meant that Age Pension is a Centrelink benefit as in Newstart, sickness allowance etc not just that its a benefit if you get it - :-), well I know what I mean!

Edited by AJ

18 minutes ago, Marinulay said:

Lol! No worries ... i so get what you mean. X honestly just be glad when its safe to go back home to UK.  Much as Ive been happy here... Ill be glad to be home x

Be careful. If your husband leaves Australia to live in the UK before he’s eligible to claim the Australian aged pension, he’ll never be able to claim it.  He won’t be able to get a UK pension either.

His superannuation would also be taxable in the UK.

• Like 1