AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Hi guys

I had my test on 9th June passed with 100 percent. My application hasn’t been approved yet. In the interview case officer said they have applied my police clearance and he can only approve my application after receiving police clearance. Anyone gone through the same situation. How long it normally takes? Thanks

Hello everyone, 

I thought I'll share mine and my wife's timeline which may help someone as I got alot of help from this forum. 

My application (Including two kids)

Eligible: 7 March 2021

Application submitted: 9 March 2021

Test invite received: 15 June 2021 for test date of 19th July 2021. Rescheduled my test immidiately to 17th June 2021.

Test Result: Passed and approved within an hour of passing the test on 17th June. 

Applicant's council: Penrith 2750, NSW

Total Days from submission to approval: 3 months 8 days

Wife's application

Eligible: 21 March 2021

Application submitted: 21 March 2021

Received letter to bring original police clearence to the interview on 1 Jun 2021(They didn't even check it during the interview)

Test invite received: 15 June 2021 for test date of 19th July 2021. Rescheduled test to 17th June 2021.

Test Result: Passed and approved within an hour of passing the test on 17th June. 

Applicant's council: Penrith 2750, NSW

Total Days from submission to approval: 2 months 27 days

FOI submitted to check pending citizenship ceremony applicants for  Penrith 2750, NSW council. There were 662 people waiting as of 21 May 2021. I called the council and they confirmed that they are conducting four ceremonies a month with 80 people in each ceremony.

I have also emailed online citizenship email yesterday and waiting for response. I will update if that happens. 

I have tried to add as many details as possible so that people can draw their conclusions based on this. One noticable thing which I noticed from other posts and from my own experience is that if you recieve a document request from case officer, you should expect your test invitation email within 2 weeks of that. 

52 minutes ago, mukesh665544 said:

Hi guys

I had my test on 9th June passed with 100 percent. My application hasn’t been approved yet. In the interview case officer said they have applied my police clearance and he can only approve my application after receiving police clearance. Anyone gone through the same situation. How long it normally takes? Thanks

Hi I had my test on the 01st June at a Centrelink office, passed and was told would be uploaded to there system in a few days....I am still waiting! Application still says received. I have called them and was advised that I would of heard by now if they needed more information, so its just a waiting game, was advised to call back if remains the same after 8weeks. 

8 hours ago, andrewajp002 said:

This is so annoying, others in Vic in councils right close to me took their tests after and have got Ceremony dates already, Kingston which my house backs on to got theirs (and bayside), but technically is in Monash and I haven't got mine yet.

Soo unfair 😂

That is unfair 😞 I’m sorry things are such a mess with wait times. I’m similar wanting process to be over. Have you tried an FOI for your council? 

22 hours ago, VicApplicant said:

I believe there is a link in the appendix to the letter … read to the end like back page and I think instructions should be there! 

In that Appointment letter they have mentioned Link to reschedule. go to that link Enter your Application number and Surname then it will show date availability. Once you selected and submitted. You will get new letter for test via mail

Hi guys, 
I really need good suggestion from here.  I've been offshore for 5 months since Jan, now I have been back. I have passed test in last Dec, but now the application is still not approved. I've called the DHA, they never gave me any information. Always say: what information I can give is whatever you can see from you Immi account. 

Kinded ask for whether there is any efficient way to push the CO to process my application? Thanks. 

12 hours ago, VicApplicant said:

That is unfair 😞 I’m sorry things are such a mess with wait times. I’m similar wanting process to be over. Have you tried an FOI for your council? 

If I had waited 12 hours, night ceremony is on the 12th July, about 1 min walk from  my house 😂

So with Monash CC is had my test and passed 19th Jan 2021,  Ceremony 12th July 2021.  (Though I expect they will process quicker now the lockdowns are over 🤞)

2 hours ago, andrewajp002 said:

If I had waited 12 hours, night ceremony is on the 12th July, about 1 min walk from  my house 😂

So with Monash CC is had my test and passed 19th Jan 2021,  Ceremony 12th July 2021.  (Though I expect they will process quicker now the lockdowns are over 🤞)

Oh brilliant you got word of your ceremony. When did you receive this was it just today? Delighted for you. There is one in my council on 22nd July and trying to figure out when I would hear about it (if I got it!)

Edited by VicApplicant

Hi All, does anyone know what kind of document or evidence can be used as follows for my son's citizenship application on point 2 below? We submitted his citizenship application only, and home affairs requested the following. We submitted Dec 28 2020, and received the request on Jun 21 2021.

1.  a statement from the relevant parent to the effect that they have decided not to apply for Australian citizenship because they would lose the citizenship of another country
  2.  evidence that supports the claim that their present country of citizenship (Chinese) does not allow dual citizenship

15 hours ago, Ding said:

Hi guys, 
I really need good suggestion from here.  I've been offshore for 5 months since Jan, now I have been back. I have passed test in last Dec, but now the application is still not approved. I've called the DHA, they never gave me any information. Always say: what information I can give is whatever you can see from you Immi account. 

Kinded ask for whether there is any efficient way to push the CO to process my application? Thanks. 

Have you notified them you are now resident in Australia?  

18 minutes ago, Worried Mummy said:

Hi All, does anyone know what kind of document or evidence can be used as follows for my son's citizenship application on point 2 below? We submitted his citizenship application only, and home affairs requested the following. We submitted Dec 28 2020, and received the request on Jun 21 2021.

1.  a statement from the relevant parent to the effect that they have decided not to apply for Australian citizenship because they would lose the citizenship of another country
  2.  evidence that supports the claim that their present country of citizenship (Chinese) does not allow dual citizenship

Send them these links:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/faq/t710012.htm

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/Publications_Archive/CIB/cib0001/01CIB05#table1

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 16:25, ozshuttler said:

Test completed today. My application is on Received status as my NZ police Clearance has to be verified before they finalise my case. The officer said it might be 2-5 days for verification but given most ppl here with received status had to wait 2 months for status change, I think I'm also on the waiting game. Next update after approval. 

Also, they indicated 6-8 months waiting time for ceremony in Brisbane city council.

I did a FOI on number of applications awaiting ceremony in Brisbane city council and the number is ~8100.

1230959260_ScreenShot2021-06-14at4_24_35pm.thumb.png.0a948bad8463815c5f52625d117eda19.png

My application has got approved today (Week since my test date). Now the waiting game for ceremony. 

Anyone knows what happens if I change my address on my immi account? will I have to supply any evidence of proof of address? 

Thinking of providing my brother's address in Sydney because the waiting time is far less than here in Brisbane. Also, NSW councils are running virtual ceremonies. so, will be great to get it quick to be able to access HECS-HELP for my Masters.

I find it interesting to see how some people have gotten answers to FOI requests about numbers awaiting ceremonies. I applied for a FOI about Port Phillip council (we're moving shortly so I'm trying to understand the waiting list in both Port Phillip VIC and Inner West Sydney) and I was got an almost immediate response telling me that it was too general a request and not something the Department could assist with. Could I ask someone who's been successful above to share the way they worded their request please?

2 hours ago, RoEire said:

I find it interesting to see how some people have gotten answers to FOI requests about numbers awaiting ceremonies. I applied for a FOI about Port Phillip council (we're moving shortly so I'm trying to understand the waiting list in both Port Phillip VIC and Inner West Sydney) and I was got an almost immediate response telling me that it was too general a request and not something the Department could assist with. Could I ask someone who's been successful above to share the way they worded their request please?

I was approved on 1 Apr 2021 so hoping to get this July ceremony in Port Phillip but not sure invites have issued yet. I might try calling the council as I’ve seen this can be helpful. I’ve seen successful requests on right to know.org.au that simply ask the straight question how many people are awaiting a ceremony in X council at X date

I'm not too far behind you so @VicApplicant. Yeah, I directly asked the question and was told it was 'general' not specific. I've nothing to lose by throwing it in again - will let you know if I've any success!

Do you know if Port Phillip send the invites by post or by email by any chance - I may give them a call to find out. If you do find out about the waiting list - would you mind letting me know also please? 🙂 I think July may be a bit optimistic for me, since they said 6-7 months, but I can dream! Haven't been to Ireland to see my family in over 2 years, so we're hopeful of applying for an exemption to travel over there for 6 months, but waiting on the ceremony to be complete to go. 

On 21/06/2021 at 11:13, mukesh665544 said:

Hi guys

Passed the test on 28th of May still waiting . It’s case it’s individual so you can’t get a time frame. Just relax and wait if they need something they will contact you.

Edited by Athens07
  • Like 1

On 21/06/2021 at 11:13, mukesh665544 said:

Hi guys

It can take up to 8 weeks before you’re approved. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoEire said:

I'm not too far behind you so @VicApplicant. Yeah, I directly asked the question and was told it was 'general' not specific. I've nothing to lose by throwing it in again - will let you know if I've any success!

Do you know if Port Phillip send the invites by post or by email by any chance - I may give them a call to find out. If you do find out about the waiting list - would you mind letting me know also please? 🙂 I think July may be a bit optimistic for me, since they said 6-7 months, but I can dream! Haven't been to Ireland to see my family in over 2 years, so we're hopeful of applying for an exemption to travel over there for 6 months, but waiting on the ceremony to be complete to go. 

I’m the same but don’t think that I can wait for ceremony to head overseas. I asked the day I did my test in Melbourne CBD and they said the waiting times weren’t that bad but didnt give me an indication of number. I saw on another blog that someone passed in Jan 21 and got a ceremony in April 21 so that gave me some hope. People generally hear by email (but again I’ve asked and neither council nor Immi will confirm). I called immi last week and they said u typically find out 4 weeks prior if u are on list so I’m guessing that’s about this week for Jul ceremony.