04April2017DE

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

5 hours ago, Mmmbop said:

Oh right, thanks!

I actually just spoke to the Department of Home Affairs.

They said it's council by council, each council is responsible for scheduling it's own online ceremonies according to its capacity. At that point they let the DHA know, who provide lists of people.

Councils then invite people to submit an expression of interest, and are placed in a queue.

I also spoke to Woollahra Council, who confusingly told me the opposite. They said the DHA gives them the dates for ceremonies. They currently don't have any upcoming dates for online listed on their website, so that's not great.

In all of this there doesn't seem to be any way/need to 'submit a request'.

If anyone has any insight they can shed on any of this that'd be great. Cheers. 

UPDATE: Spoke to the council as well, they are emailing DHA to see where I'm sitting in the queue. So that might be an option for others who are wondering where they are as well.

Heya @Mmmbop I think you're on the right track. I spoke to my local council this week because I wanted to understand whether they were doing virtuals yet or not. My understanding is that the Council set's the capacity they have to do the virtual ceremonies - i.e. how regularly they can run them (they need enough staff to coordinate them, run the tech, availability of the officiant etc.). They mentioned in their case that they actually can't have as many people in the virtuals as in the in-person ceremonies so they're really hoping to get back to the in-person soon (I'm in Melbourne....not bloody likely!). Once they have the capacity worked out i.e. can do 2 x Ceremonies on Thursday the X of September, they then notify the Department of the capacity, and the Department send out the list of candidates for those slots.

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 1

State: VIC
Birth Country: LR
Stream: 457 - 186 TRT
Number of applicants: 2
PR Nomination & Application Submitted: November 2018

PR Nomination approved  May 2019 

PR Visa Approved May 2019

Citizenship Applied: May 2020

Interview Scheduled: Apr 2021

Ceremony Completed: October 2021

Hi,

I need a help!

My husband is applying his citizenship. I became an Australian citizen Jan 2021 and our baby was born in Dec 2020. We were permanent residents when baby was born. I know the baby is automatically become a citizen. We didn't apply baby's evidence of citizenship certificate.

But there's a question on the husband's citizenship application " do you have any children including deceased?" If says YES , next question is "mention all the children details who's including in the application?"

This is very confused. What should we do? Baby doesn't need to be included in the application I guess.

Pls reply me as soon as possible 

Thanks!

Hesh

Gave my citizenship test and passed on September 6th. 

until now my status is still “Received” and not updated at all. 

not sure how long it will be dragged on. 

Hi guys,

I have finished my virtual ceremony held by Liverpool council on Australian Citizenship day 17th Sept.

Good luck guys 👍

• Congratulations 1

19 hours ago, Hesh said:

Hi,

I need a help!

My husband is applying his citizenship. I became an Australian citizen Jan 2021 and our baby was born in Dec 2020. We were permanent residents when baby was born. I know the baby is automatically become a citizen. We didn't apply baby's evidence of citizenship certificate.

But there's a question on the husband's citizenship application " do you have any children including deceased?" If says YES , next question is "mention all the children details who's including in the application?"

This is very confused. What should we do? Baby doesn't need to be included in the application I guess.

Pls reply me as soon as possible 

Thanks!

Hesh

when U select YES, next question should be like this (attached SS referred) bit confused what u r saying. please chk again. Thanks

cz.JPG

20 minutes ago, Jul said:

when U select YES, next question should be like this (attached SS referred) bit confused what u r saying. please chk again. Thanks

cz.JPG

Hi,

Thanks! I will say "NO" to second question. I have to apply evidence of Australian citizenship certificate for my baby. I didn't apply yet. 

7 hours ago, SydLad said:

Hi guys,

I have finished my virtual ceremony held by Liverpool council on Australian Citizenship day 17th Sept.

Good luck guys 👍

Has your status changed from approved to finalised on immiaccount? I have had virtual ceremony on 10th September and status is still approved.

186 trt

Nomination Applied: 21 Aug 2019

Visa applied: 21 Aug 2019

Visa status: Granted 24 Feb 2020

1 hour ago, Nemanja said:

Has your status changed from approved to finalised on immiaccount? I have had virtual ceremony on 10th September and status is still approved.

May I ask if your VEVO status has changed from your PR visa to Citizenship after ceremony?  And how long did it take to change? Thanks

1 hour ago, RMT-TX200A said:

May I ask if your VEVO status has changed from your PR visa to Citizenship after ceremony?  And how long did it take to change? Thanks

Has not changed yet

186 trt

Nomination Applied: 21 Aug 2019

Visa applied: 21 Aug 2019

Visa status: Granted 24 Feb 2020

On 16/09/2021 at 20:03, RoEire said:

Heya @Mmmbop I think you're on the right track. I spoke to my local council this week because I wanted to understand whether they were doing virtuals yet or not. My understanding is that the Council set's the capacity they have to do the virtual ceremonies - i.e. how regularly they can run them (they need enough staff to coordinate them, run the tech, availability of the officiant etc.). They mentioned in their case that they actually can't have as many people in the virtuals as in the in-person ceremonies so they're really hoping to get back to the in-person soon (I'm in Melbourne....not bloody likely!). Once they have the capacity worked out i.e. can do 2 x Ceremonies on Thursday the X of September, they then notify the Department of the capacity, and the Department send out the list of candidates for those slots.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks @RoEire! Yes, that all chimes with my understanding and what the council told me.

They said they can get about 50 at a virtual ceremony, and also that the availability of the presiding officer was affected by upcoming elections.

Edited by Mmmbop

@Nemanja No, my application is still showing Approved and my VEVO also showing as Permanent Residence. Based on the letter, it stated that I will receive the Citizenship certificate within 4 weeks. So just need to wait I guess😬

My wife and I applied for citizenship on November 2nd 2020, our status hasn't changed from "received", I've seen people here apply much later than we did and they've already become citizens.  We applied in Melbourne, 

Any idea how long it's taking in Melbourne to be approved? 

On 30/04/2021 at 15:15, Lovi said:

Hello,

In Melbourne they usually call within 9 - 10 months after application. Hope you will receive Interview call around end of October. If Covid drives is smooth..

• Like 1

Thamizh 🙂

Did anyone apply citizenship from ACT recently? Please share your timeline 

Thanks!

Edited by Hesh

6 hours ago, Iwbia123 said:

My wife and I applied for citizenship on November 2nd 2020, our status hasn't changed from "received", I've seen people here apply much later than we did and they've already become citizens.  We applied in Melbourne, 

Any idea how long it's taking in Melbourne to be approved? 

In Melbourne they usually call within 9 - 10 months after application. Hope you will receive Interview call around end of October. If Covid drive is smooth

• Like 1

Thamizh 🙂

Does anyone know what happens to your ImmiAccount once you are granted citizenship? Does it stay active indefinitely or does it get shut down fairly quickly?

Edited by Canada2Australia

I finally got my ceremony on 17th September in SA. I updated my address to my holiday home in SA for a quicker ceremony, otherwise I'd be waiting many more months in Brisbane. Anyone tried applying for passport within 2 weeks of your ceremony? 

@ozshuttler have you application status changes from Approved to Finalised yet?

You need to wait until you have received the citizenship certificate to apply for passport

1 minute ago, SydLad said:

@ozshuttler have you application status changes from Approved to Finalised yet?

You need to wait until you have received the citizenship certificate to apply for passport

I have my citizenship certificate but when I enter the certificate number, the system is not able to validate it successfully. My immi account is still approved. Probably will have to wait two weeks as recommended in the citizenship ceremony welcome letter. Was just curious to see if anyone had any success applying soon after ceremony.

@ozshuttler Yes, it said that you may need to wait for 10days after you made the pledge to be able updated in the system.

I guess you had face to face ceremony?

So it is Done. I become an Australian Citizen.

Good luck, everyone!

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

-------------------------------------
Father, Partner, Human

Slav

Timeline:
Current status - Permanent Resident
Citizenship Application: 26/06/2020
Invitation to sit test received: 10/11/2020
Test Date: 17/12/2020 - passed - 100% score
Approval: 19/01/2021