AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 26/09/2021 at 15:13, Ken said:

I don't know about indefinitely but mine is still open more than 5 years after getting citizenship (but I have used the account since to apply for visitor visas for relatives which may be what has extended it).

You are allowed to delete your ImmiAccount entirely. I did so as soon as I got my citizenship certificate. I'm no longer an "Immi", so I wanted nothing more to do with DIPB at all.

Edited by DIG85
  • Like 1

Hi All, I got an VC invite with only my name and Cust ID, but my application also contains  my son (who is Minor) , so ideally he is not mandatory to attend the ceremony as he is below 16, so my question is :

• Once my ceremony completed, does my son's applications also get finalized along with me ? (Asking as his name is not listed in the VC Invite)

2 hours ago, GL9 said:

Hi All, I got an VC invite with only my name and Cust ID, but my application also contains  my son (who is Minor) , so ideally he is not mandatory to attend the ceremony as he is below 16, so my question is :

• Once my ceremony completed, does my son's applications also get finalized along with me ? (Asking as his name is not listed in the VC Invite)

Yes. Once you attend your VC your application and those dependant attached will be finalised. As you can see, there is only one file on your immi account, the one under your name and once you click on the (+) tab it will show your dependants. But as a whole, they will finalise your application.

It only came with your name because you the main applicant and are the only one legally required to attend the ceremony. I was told this by citizen officer on the test date as my husband has our school-age daughter attached to his app.

Hi All, received my citizenship certificate today after 1 week waiting (including weekend) when my application has been finalised.

Applied passport on the same day, I did it online and my citizenship certificate also been verified in the system.

Good luck everyone.

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

On 28/09/2021 at 11:16, Melb User said:

I had my Virtual Ceremony today and am now Australian Citizen:), it's been a long 21 month wait.
I'm part of Melbourne City Council.

Timeline:
Citizenship Application: 07 Jan 2020
Test Date & Approval: 05 Feb 2021 (Original test date was in March  2021 & I preponed it)
InPerson Ceremony Invite 1: 18 Aug 2021, Cancelled due to lockdown
InPerson Ceremony Invite 2: 15 Sep 2021, Cancelled due to lockdown
Virtual Ceremony: 28 Sep 2021

On my Virtual ceremony, it was not a group event, just the presiding officer and myself.

My Citizenship processing times coincided with 75% of applicants processing times mentioned in Immigration Website.  This can keep changing and you can check immigration website for latest. Further your council can influence the ceremony date as well. 

Good luck everyone!

Hi, could I please ask whether you requested Home Affairs to allocate you to a virtual ceremony after your in-person ceremony was cancelled or whether you were automatically allocated to a virtual ceremony? I am in the ACT, and was originally invited to an in-person ceremony on 7 Sep 2021, which was cancelled due to the lockdown; I was told that the ACT Government does not hold virtual ceremonies due to capacity constraints, and there does not appear to be a date yet when in-person ceremonies will be resumed in the ACT. So I am just wondering whether people whose in-person ceremonies were cancelled will be automatically allocated to a virtual ceremony. Thanks!

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first-time poster. I just completed my virtual ceremony this morning!

Timeline:
Citizenship Application: 30 March 2020
Interview: 30 March 2021 (what are the chances it was exactly to the day a year later)
Approval: 23 April 2021
Virtual Ceremony Invite: 27th Sep

Virtual Ceremony: 1st Oct

The virtual ceremony itself took only 5 minutes, less even. My application in my immiaccount has been changed to Finalised. 

I hope this will help anyone going through the long wait!

• Congratulations 1

13 hours ago, IWTsai said:

Hi, could I please ask whether you requested Home Affairs to allocate you to a virtual ceremony after your in-person ceremony was cancelled or whether you were automatically allocated to a virtual ceremony? I am in the ACT, and was originally invited to an in-person ceremony on 7 Sep 2021, which was cancelled due to the lockdown; I was told that the ACT Government does not hold virtual ceremonies due to capacity constraints, and there does not appear to be a date yet when in-person ceremonies will be resumed in the ACT. So I am just wondering whether people whose in-person ceremonies were cancelled will be automatically allocated to a virtual ceremony. Thanks!

@IWTsai, In general, after an in-person ceremony is cancelled, you don't have to do anything. It's the responsibility of Home Affairs to work with the local council to schedule another in person or Virtual ceremony. 

Current Ceremony processing time from Date of Approval is 6-8 months as mentioned in the Home Affairs site. So, if you contact Home Affairs before that, most likely they will ask you to wait. But, if you have any urgent reason for an early ceremony, they will factor that in.

After my in-person ceremony was cancelled for the 2nd time, I checked with my council(Melbourne City Council) on Virtual Ceremony. They mentioned they are in the process of doing it, but did not give any dates. After some weeks, I then contacted Home Affairs when I was nearing the 8 month timeline (after approval). I got the Virtual Ceremony soon after. 

Good luck!

Edited by Melb User

For those in Moreton Bay Regional Council. We have been invited via email to attend our ceremony on the 4th/Nov/2021.

Fingers crossed we don't go into lockdown. I hope you all get your invites soon too! It will have taken us 8 months from our approval date to ceremony. 

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 2

11 minutes ago, Melb User said:

@IWTsai, In general, after an in-person ceremony is cancelled, you don't have to do anything. It's the responsibility of Home Affairs to work with the local council to schedule another in person or Virtual ceremony. 

Current Ceremony processing time from Date of Approval is 6-8 months as mentioned in the Home Affairs site. So, if you contact Home Affairs before that, most likely they will ask you to wait. But, if you have any urgent reason for an early ceremony, they will factor that in.

After my in-person ceremony was cancelled for the 2nd time, I checked with my council(Melbourne City Council) on Virtual Ceremony. They mentioned they are in the process of doing it, but did not give any dates. After some weeks, I then contacted Home Affairs when I was nearing the 8 month timeline (after approval). I got the Virtual Ceremony soon after. 

Good luck!

Thanks - this is very helpful to know! Also congrats on getting your citizenship! 

• Like 1

Anyone know the process for travelling overseas if still waiting for ceremony date? Wanting to go back to UK for Christmas if borders remain open that is! 

I’m in Brisbane and it’s been around 4 months since interview & test approval so not expecting ceremony to be until next year so would be back for it.

You can go but your visa will still need to have travel rights or you will need an RRV to re enter. Personally I’m not convinced travel in and out of Australia will be totally relaxed by Christmas. I’m just hoping we can see our son in Canberra!

oh and I’m guessing flights will be very expensive too.

On 02/10/2021 at 08:36, Beckb said:

Anyone know the process for travelling overseas if still waiting for ceremony date? Wanting to go back to UK for Christmas if borders remain open that is! 

I’m in Brisbane and it’s been around 4 months since interview & test approval so not expecting ceremony to be until next year so would be back for it.

It's looks as if both WA and Queensland will be opting out of the international flight resumption this year. Residents of NSW and probably most other states should be able to travel for Christmas though.

12 hours ago, Deep1984 said:

I applied for citizen ship on 17 Sept 2020 but still didn't hear from immi. Melbourne victoria. How long they take?

Hi Friend, 

I have launched my application in May 20 and got interview call at April 21. Hope you will get Interview call before Dec 21. I Believe once 80% Jab is done. All activities will get accelerated 🙂

On 03/10/2021 at 06:23, Deep1984 said:

I applied for citizen ship on 17 Sept 2020 but still didn't hear from immi. Melbourne victoria. How long they take?

Hi Deep,

I am on the same boat with you. I applied on 24th September 2020 but not any response yet .Please give me buzz when you hear something please.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Oshan said:

Hi Deep,

I am on the same boat with you. I applied on 24th September 2020 but not any response yet .Please give me buzz when you hear something please.  Thanks. 

Which state? Here in Adelaide we got interview a month after application. I guess it depends on state and Covid restrictions

Hi Guys, is anyone know that where we can request early virtual citizenship ceremony request? I have got one email adress but I cannot sent it.  Any other option or any mail adress you guys know I will be very appriciated.  Thanks in advance

Finally got my citizenship

Date of application oct 2019

In 2020 two times interview cancelled because of covid lockdown in victoria

Third time interview done in jan 2021

Waited 8 months for ceremony call from wyndham council victoria but nothing happen at all

applied for virtual ceremony couple of time but no response

applied for virtual ceremony again finally got response from DIBP

virtual ceremony oct 2021

status changed from approved to finalise 

Total time 24 months from application to ceremony

• Congratulations 2

6 hours ago, joni said:

Finally got my citizenship

Date of application oct 2019

In 2020 two times interview cancelled because of covid lockdown in victoria

Third time interview done in jan 2021

Waited 8 months for ceremony call from wyndham council victoria but nothing happen at all

applied for virtual ceremony couple of time but no response

applied for virtual ceremony again finally got response from DIBP

virtual ceremony oct 2021

status changed from approved to finalise 

Total time 24 months from application to ceremony

Congratulations. Could you please share the VIC VC request email address..