Applying for PR during Covid

RobbyBobby

Hi all hope your well

First of all, I hope everyones OK in our current situations and secondly sorry if this is the wrong section please move to the relevant one if you need

Me and my missus are in a bit of a sticky position at the moment thanks to our new friend Covid

I am currently on a 2 year 457 (telecommunications) which expires on 19 April,  My missus is on a 457 (cook) that expires in 18 months, we were planning on applying for a 186 (employer sponsored PR) through her employer any day now as we now have sufficient evidence, (registered relationship, live together etc) but our visa agent is saying that it isnt a good time to apply as the nomination may be rejected due to to coronavirus.

My missus restaurant is still operating a takeaway service so she is still working 40 hours a week. But the visa agent says that a cook might now not be seen as a genuine need for full time staff at the moment

Our visa agent is suggesting I get added to her 457 so that I can stay in the meantime,  and then apply for the 186 once this situation has blown over? I personally feel they are trying to get another 4500 out of us (1000 fees, 2700 for visa and 710 temporary application charge) 

I'm just trying to find out what my options are and what peoples opinions are? Do I have to stump up this extra 4500 or should we just apply for the 186? Any other options?

Thanks guys stay safe!!

Edited by RobbyBobby

13 hours ago, RobbyBobby said:

Hi all hope your well

First of all, I hope everyones OK in our current situations and secondly sorry if this is the wrong section please move to the relevant one if you need

Me and my missus are in a bit of a sticky position at the moment thanks to our new friend Covid

I am currently on a 2 year 457 (telecommunications) which expires on 19 April,  My missus is on a 457 (cook) that expires in 18 months, we were planning on applying for a 186 (employer sponsored PR) through her employer any day now as we now have sufficient evidence, (registered relationship, live together etc) but our visa agent is saying that it isnt a good time to apply as the nomination may be rejected due to to coronavirus.

My missus restaurant is still operating a takeaway service so she is still working 40 hours a week. But the visa agent says that a cook might now not be seen as a genuine need for full time staff at the moment

Our visa agent is suggesting I get added to her 457 so that I can stay in the meantime,  and then apply for the 186 once this situation has blown over? I personally feel they are trying to get another 4500 out of us (1000 fees, 2700 for visa and 710 temporary application charge) 

I'm just trying to find out what my options are and what peoples opinions are? Do I have to stump up this extra 4500 or should we just apply for the 186? Any other options?

Thanks guys stay safe!!

It is always a good idea to be on the same 457 visa when applying for a 186 as the rules as a secondary applicant are much more lenient. This is due to the Regulatory definition of member of family unit.