Does anyone else think it's ludicrous that the Queensland council elections are still going ahead?

Bridgeman

Just that.  We are being told to observe social distancing, yet they are asking us to go and mix with a load of strangers, just to put a cross on a bit of paper.  This is madness.  I did apply for a postal vote, but so far nothing has arrived yet.  I am an older person, not going out at the moment but yet am expected to turn out to vote.  Meanwhile New Zealand is in total lockdown.  What's wrong with out policiticians?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bridgeman said:

Just that.  We are being told to observe social distancing, yet they are asking us to go and mix with a load of strangers, just to put a cross on a bit of paper.  This is madness.  I did apply for a postal vote, but so far nothing has arrived yet.  I am an older person, not going out at the moment but yet am expected to turn out to vote.  Meanwhile New Zealand is in total lockdown.  What's wrong with out policiticians?

It’s the mixed messages that are the worst.  Golf courses are closed even if you are wanting to go out on your own, never touch a flagstick - yet people are expected to queue up to collect pieces of paper and take them to a booth......and people have got to collect up all those papers, sort and count them.

The first activity is allegedly dangerous whilst the second presumably is not.

Also just read about the Centrelink debacle.  A million people thrown out of a job literally overnight and the Minister responsible for the government website was caught out by unexpected demand.  Even a complete idiot could have worked out there would have been massive demand.  Then he tries to blame a cyber attack rather than overload.  Clowns!

I had concerns about this so have been looking into it...

You can pre vote in person, via postal vote or vote via phone. I have also heard ''in person'' voting could be extended across the entire weekend. Media reports are saying over 500 thousand people have already done early voting so i cant see there being many more people in there than at a supermarket and definately not on the scale of the Centrelink lines.

No BBQs or sausage sizzles are allowed outside. No handing out of flyers or mixing with voters is allowed and you can take your own pen/ pencil in with you, if you wish and social distancing will be enforced.

Cal x

On 25/03/2020 at 21:24, starlight7 said:

Isn't it time they got rid of local councils? Or at the very least amalgamate them so there are about a quarter of the ones existing. I don't know about Queensland but the ones round here are pretty hopeless and charge like the proverbial wounded bulls.

Yes, get rid of local councils. Or at least regulate their activities so that they are administrators and reduce what they can spend rate payers money on, i.e. no art works, no overseas trips, no expensive cars and no politics.

Well fortunately my postal vote arrived on Friday just in time.  Although they said it was 'safe' to go, and that there was social distancing, maybe inside but I saw pictures of long queues outside the prepolling stations and guess what, people lined up one after the other, no social distancing there. There was no way I was going to go and queue up with them.   I since heard that they are going to waive fines for over 70s.  It would be interesting to hear whether there is a big jump in cases now.

Edited by Bridgeman

2 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

Well fortunately my postal vote arrived on Friday just in time.  Although they said it was 'safe' to go, and that there was social distancing, maybe inside but I saw pictures of long queues outside the prepolling stations and guess what, people lined up one after the other, no social distancing there. There was no way I was going to go and queue up with them.   I since heard that they are going to waive fines for over 70s.  It would be interesting to hear whether there is a big jump in cases now.

There was around 5 others at various stages of voting when i went to our local center around lunch time. 4 assistants sat behind tables quite a distance from each other, they scanned your card, give you 2 pieces of paper and pointed out the booths. The booths had 'every other' booth closed off to ensure distancing. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. There was no one outside which made a pleasant change. I took my own pen.

I've seen more people shopping in our local Coles than i saw in there.

Cal x