Gillian c

Gillian c

I wonder if any one can help me please. 
firstly I am intending to join my two sons who both live in Canberra. One been there for 12 years and other one this year. I have been looking at non contributory and the contributary visas. 
however the $47,000 is a way out my budget as I’m a widow  but I’m wondering how long the cheaper non contributary visa actually takes. They say up to 30 years. Is that realistic. 
Thanks for any help. 

Sadly, it is very difficult to move to Australia as a parent. The problem is that old people (like me - I'm 67) cost the government a lot of money in medical treatment, prescriptions and aged care as we get old and die.   

Australians have spent their working life paying tax and Medicare levies, so in old age, they're only getting back what they put in. However, a parent coming from overseas hasn't paid a cent into the system, but is still be entitled to all the same benefits.  That's why the application fee is so high - it's to compensate for the tax you didn't pay.  In fact, the government has calculated that the fee doesn't go anywhere near covering what you're likely to cost. 

If you find that hard to believe, it's probably because you don't realise how much medical treatment really costs (most Brits don't, because you don't see the costs with the NHS).  For instance, you could get a hip replacement done free, but it costs the government about $30,000. 

You are right, the official waiting time for the non-contributory visa is 30 years.  Basically, the government doesn't want anyone to get that visa, but they tried to close it down and Parliament wouldn't let them, so they're going slow instead. 

• Like 3

One option to explore would be to come to Australia on a tourist visa, as if you're coming on holiday, and then apply for the non-contributory visa once you're in Australia.  Then you would get a Bridging Visa, which would let you stay in Australia until your parent visa is processed - even if that is 30 years.  

If that sounds too good to be true, it is a bit.  There are snags.  Even though you'll be in Australia for many years, you are never considered a legal resident.  You're always a visitor.  At the same time, you'll cease to be a resident of the UK so you'll no longer be entitled to use the NHS or get government benefits (being a citizen doesn't count for anything).  That can be limiting.  For instance, if you want to buy a home, you'll have to get special permission because you'll be classed as a "foreign investor", and you'll be charged at least three times the usual stamp duty on the purchase. 

You also have no right to leave Australia - you'll have to apply for a BVB when you want to visit the UK or go overseas on holiday.

If you were resident in the UK immediately before moving to Australia, you're lucky, because you'll be eligible to get treatment under Medicare in Australia.  Officially, there are some restrictions, but in practice you seem to get the same treatment as Australians.  

There would be two big questions to consider. One is whether you'd be allowed to work on the bridging visa.  I have no idea and you will probably need to speak to an expert (i.e. a MARA registered migration agent) to find out.  The other is that if you live long enough, your visa will eventually get to the head of the queue, and then you will need to pass a medical.  What happens if you can't pass it?  Do you go back to the UK and start all over again in your eighties or nineties?  

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Gillian c said:

Thank you for reply. I’m 54. Ok then I think maybe it has to be the contributory one it will have to be. 

If you’re considering that one get the application in as quick as possible as that queue is about 8 years now for people just putting applications in. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

One option to explore would be to come to Australia on a tourist visa, as if you're coming on holiday, and then apply for the non-contributory visa once you're in Australia.  Then you would get a Bridging Visa, which would let you stay in Australia until your parent visa is processed - even if that is 30 years.  

This is not an option for the OP as they are too young. On shore parent applications are for "aged" parents only.

• Like 2

Just to let you know they are currently processing 103 non contributory visas from 2010 so the actual processing is 10 years not the 30 that has been mentioned . It might reach 30 years who knows , anyway who would still be around waiting in 2050 if you applied today .

2 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

Just to let you know they are currently processing 103 non contributory visas from 2010 so the actual processing is 10 years not the 30 that has been mentioned . 

It’s correct to say that for people who applied in 2010, the processing time is only 10 years. The point is that every year, they receive far more applications than they process, so the queue gets considerably longer with each year that goes by. 

They never increase the annual quota to catch up, in fact they seem to do the opposite 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

As at 21 Feb:

"We don't provide processing times for Contributory Parent, Parent, Contributory Aged Parent and Aged Parent visa applications. Applications for these visas are subject to capping and queueing.

However, based on current planning levels, we estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 52 months to be released for final processing.

New Parent and Aged Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately 30 years for final processing."

• Like 1