Terrified my anxious dogs will die if flying to uk

Lee69

Using Hi everyone

I'm getting nearer to moving back to the uk. But im so terrified for my poor dogs. No one can say they ll be less worried than me. One of my dogs is scared of the lawn mower sounds. The other is hyperactive. 

I'm  using dogtainers x getting massive crates but I also feel like i m having to find out and chase them for info. 

Any reassurances, advise, experience appreciated. 

Lee69

Sometimes a larger than needed crate can make things worse as they can get bounced around and feel less secure. Where are you flying from? I used Dogtainers in Melbourne and wasn’t particularly impressed tbh. 
My diabetic cat made it back to the uk in one piece if that helps. He is an inside cat and is nervous around strangers but was ok. His diabetes didn’t like it much but otherwise he was fine. 
I think we worry more. They are dogs so won’t know what is happening. No one can guarantee they will be ok but chances are they will and you can collect them same day in the uk, so no more than a couple of days apart from you. 
Others on here have flown nervous/sensitive pets and they have been fine.

The alternatives are you leave them in Aus or you don’t leave Aus.......

Good luck. I’m sure they and you will be fine. 👍

Hi Amber

You say you were not impressed  with dogtainers. What were your reasons. I know dogs don't get worried ...yet...but flying will be terrifying with all that noise x movement x stuck in a confined space. 

I d never leave them here. O just would not go. 

Lee

28 minutes ago, Lee69 said:

Hi Amber

You say you were not impressed  with dogtainers. What were your reasons. I know dogs don't get worried ...yet...but flying will be terrifying with all that noise x movement x stuck in a confined space. 

I d never leave them here. O just would not go. 

Lee

I hope I have sent you a pm. It has disappeared somewhere! 😳

1 hour ago, Lee69 said:

Hi belter 

Did you fly to the uk from oz? We're you happy with the dog company x who were they? Which route did your dog fly x which layovers ?

Lee

hi Lee

we went with All Creatures Air Road I can'y remember the route but it only took him a day. I think the company were ok but the crate he arrived in was a bit tatty so I sent them an email and never heard back. Don't know if that's an issue or not

2 hours ago, Lee69 said:

One of my dogs is scared of the lawn mower sounds.

My younger dog is also scared of the vacuum cleaner, the mop, running water, anything falling on the floor, the wind, the sea, any strange dogs (including chihuahua puppies) and any strange humans not armed to the teeth with footy franks. He's currently hiding behind the sofa, as we had a bit of a storm last night.

Did he die of fear on the flight from London to Melbourne? No. Is he scarred for life by the experience? No. Was he out of sorts for a few days when he arrived? Not really.

I'm sure your dogs will be fine. Our canine friends are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. 🙂

• Like 2

Hi Lee

When is the flight? With some dogs it is helpful to get the crates before hand to get them used to them. but with other dogs getting the crates can do more harm than good as the dogs just hate them , rather than "meeting" the crate on the day of collection and then they dont have time to get worried about it.

Pheromones are one thing to use. Xylkene is used as well in UK and i assume they have it in Australia as well. 

The crate wants too be perfect, not too big and not too small. A bigger crate is not better. If the plane moves then they move inside the crate too much if it is too big.

And if it is any consolation, i have never, not once heard of a dog dying on a flight from stress, as long as they are fit and healthy before the flight. They are more tough than we give them credit for.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, BobPetairUK said:

Hi Lee

And if it is any consolation, i have never, not once heard of a dog dying on a flight from stress, as long as they are fit and healthy before the flight. They are more tough than we give them credit for.

Lol 😂 it’s definitely us pet owners @BobPetairUK who will have a heart attack with all the stress. My son started his first year of Uni and in Animal Science he is learning about anthropomorphism, I said it’s a long while since I covered that but I don’t know why they still teach it, I don’t think anyone is going to listen, plus I am the biggest culprit despite my knowledge 😂 

‘This isn’t my err dog in bed with me being treat like a baby, honest 😎😇🙄🐾😂

09599C02-9486-4BBE-8275-FACDFBBBB047.jpeg

Guest The Pom Queen
On 02/03/2020 at 03:06, Lee69 said:

Using Hi everyone

I'm getting nearer to moving back to the uk. But im so terrified for my poor dogs. No one can say they ll be less worried than me. One of my dogs is scared of the lawn mower sounds. The other is hyperactive. 

I'm  using dogtainers x getting massive crates but I also feel like i m having to find out and chase them for info. 

Any reassurances, advise, experience appreciated. 

Lee69

Hi @Lee69 the two main players for shipping are Jetpets followed by Dogtainers. There are others who have an excellent reputation but they are smaller family businesses who usually deal with the show/breeders, on the plus side they offer a more personalised service and cheaper rates but you don’t have the same stability I suppose as what the two larger companies offer. 
‘At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter who you use because once the dogs are handed over at the airport everything is out of their control and the airline takes responsibility.

I 101% agree with what Bob suggests. Try and get your crates early, and if you can’t then see if you can just get a couple of second hand ones from FB/Gumtree etc, even if they are the wire ones.

Never force them in, put the crates with the dogs and leave the doors open at all times. Place some comfy bedding in their and a favourite toy or bone. If they are still not interested then start to feed meals in there. The first day place the food bowl on the outside of the crate, 2nd day just on the inside, 3rd day far enough in that they have to reach their whole body in. Eventually they will see the crate as a positive experience. After a week try just using treats, close the door, but stay in the room where they can see you. If they start to panic message me and we can go from there. 

Seems thete are 2 options.

Dubai artiving beginning of may when it hits 38 degrees in Dubai with a 15 hour layover and artiving 11am...midday!

Or Thailand where it's four hours but no getting out of crates but staying on the plane. 

The latter involves a check through the bars of crate. The former involves stress of staying crated x no real check. 

Dubai sounds safer as long as the aircon bus arrives spot on time x no hanging around in hot plastic crate on tarmac.

That's my fear about the Dubai route. 

1 hour ago, Lee69 said:

Seems thete are 2 options.

Dubai artiving beginning of may when it hits 38 degrees in Dubai with a 15 hour layover and artiving 11am...midday!

Or Thailand where it's four hours but no getting out of crates but staying on the plane. 

The latter involves a check through the bars of crate. The former involves stress of staying crated x no real check. 

Dubai sounds safer as long as the aircon bus arrives spot on time x no hanging around in hot plastic crate on tarmac.

That's my fear about the Dubai route. 

Does the direct Qantas flight from Heathrow to Melbourne not take pets on the return journey? Apparently, the people operating the kennels in Dubai are "very good" and the dogs get checked by a vet,  but if there's any chance of putting yours on the Qantas flight, I'd go for that - even though it costs more.

If those are definitely the only two options, maybe post this in the 'Ask Pet Air' section or PM Bob and see which he would recommend. Pet Air are very generous with advice: they have a lovely vet nurse working there called Catherine, who was super helpful in offering me a second opinion when my boy failed a blood test 🙂

I’d opt for the quickest route. Is there a direct flight from Melbourne? I didn’t think there was yet. I’d so then do it. If not maybe do the flight via Perth. It will be a short stopover and at least they will remain in Australia which will be a small comfort to you as they would be looked after well. It could be if you’re on the same flight you can be with them whilst at Perth waiting. Maybe a good walk and some fuss. Go for the shortest time possible. It’s understandable you’re worrying. Of course it’s not going to be nice, it will be unpleasant to say the least. But, it’s one day of their lives and you’re going back and they’d want to go with you so there’s nothing you can do about it. It would be far worst for them to be left behind without you. You can do nothing but accept it’s one day, they will get through it and then get to spend the rest of their lives happy with you.  Good luck with it all. 

5 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I’d opt for the quickest route. Is there a direct flight from Melbourne? I didn’t think there was yet. I’d so then do it. If not maybe do the flight via Perth. It will be a short stopover and at least they will remain in Australia which will be a small comfort to you as they would be looked after well. 

On the UK - Melbourne leg, the plane stops in Perth for refuelling, and the dogs stay on the plane. I'm guessing it would be the same in the other direction. 

38 minutes ago, LobsterMobster said:

On the UK - Melbourne leg, the plane stops in Perth for refuelling, and the dogs stay on the plane. I'm guessing it would be the same in the other direction. 

I think you’ve got the best possible option there then.  It’s going to be hard for you but they don’t know it’s coming so you’re worrying about what they’re not.  No point in anyone saying the dogs will love it as they really won’t but keep telling yourself it’s just one day. They have the rest of their lives to live and they’re lucky as you’re clearly a very caring owner. Enjoy your new adventure, all of you.