Moving back but lost

carlymac

Hi,

ive been in Australia for 10 years now and feel it’s time to go home. Over my time here I’ve had ups and downs of homesickness but this last year has been the worst! So decided to make the decision to move back. I just don’t know where to begin. The whole process seems so much harder than coming out here. I’ve read that due to not having a credit history we would need to pay 6 months up front in rent. Is this accurate? We don’t have a lot of money behind us and just not sure how we are going to manage the whole move back which makes it even more depressing. I have 4 children, one that starts year 11 in September. I’ve read posts saying get them back for GCSE’s but we just don’t have the money right now! We need to save for a year or so to get us there. Which means would I have to stay to put my other child through school first? I’m in such a terrible predicament and not sure where to begin. 
Any help greatly appreciated

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The 6 months upfront is demanded if you don't have a job. If you can show a contract of employment or a pay slip, that's usually enough, unless you're in an area where rental properties are in huge demand (as we were).

Hi carlymac,  Marisa is correct. We had to pay six months upfront (we're both retired) as we are in a popular area where there are very few rentals available, also, you need to put down a bond as well, that was another £1,000.00. 

To move back, you will need a fair amount of cash to cover the interim period whilst you settle.

We didn't have to pay six months up front because my ex had a job offer and could show his contract, so that might be worth bearing in mind.The schooling thing might be the difficult thing. It might be worth contacting a couple of schools in the area you intend to return to, and see if they can offer any advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at a loss for understanding here.

As UK citizens, do you not have the right to simply move back whenever you feel like it regardless of age, if you have a job lined up, how much money you have in the bank, if you are seriously ill, etc.? So basically, can you not move back without restrictions? It sounds like they treat ex-pats like foreign nationals when making the move back.

Edited by Canada2Australia

31 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

As UK citizens, do you not have the right to simply move back whenever you feel like it regardless of age, if you have a job lined up, how much money you have in the bank, if you are seriously ill, etc.? So basically, can you not move back without restrictions? It sounds like they treat ex-pats like foreign nationals when making the move back.

Yes you can but from what i believe if you have been out of the country more than 10 years ,it can be tricky to get mortgages, credit etc.

Cal x

31 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Yes, you do have the right to move back whenever you want, with no restrictions.  However, the problem arises because in the UK, everything is ruled by your "credit score"..   Whether you want to rent an apartment, get something on hire purchase, get an overdraft, get a credit card - if you don't have a credit score, they don't want to know you. 

Every adult in the UK has a credit score, but once you've been out of the country for ten years, your credit score expires. It makes no difference whether you're a citizen or not.

37 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Ah okay. I had no idea credit ratings could 'expire'. I wonder if that is strictly a UK thing or if other countries follow that line of logic as well. I didn't think that would happen in Canada but now am left guessing. Will have to look into it.

Hi Canada2Australia, we moved back to the UK after 28 years out of the country, so had no credit score / rating what so ever.

We had no trouble at all setting up utilities etc, arranging a GP and dentist, having said that, we did not need to apply for a mortgage.

Good luck with your move.

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

Hi Canada2Australia, we moved back to the UK after 28 years out of the country, so had no credit score / rating what so ever.

We had no trouble at all setting up utilities etc, arranging a GP and dentist, having said that, we did not need to apply for a mortgage.

Thanks Ali, but I'm not actually moving overseas, at least in the short to medium term anyways. I was just asking out of sheer curiosity 🙂

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2020 at 09:33, AliQ said:

Same here, no problems at all. It all went well, we had kept our old bank accounts open and somehow sort of just picked up where we left off like we had never even left the U.K.