Adding US citizen partner to my current 190 visa application

oz190

Hi,

I have applied for visa 190 QLD in September 2019 and waiting for the grant. I am going to get married to US citizen soon.

He has got ETA (electronic transit visa for US citizens) to visit Australia, visiting me end of March.

question: 

1. If I add him in my current application, would it affect my 190 visa processing time?

2. should I add him when he is offshore or Onshore?

3. If I add hime offshore, would he be able to visit me on his ETA visa. (ETA has 1 year validity with multiple entries).

4. If i add him Onshore, when will he get bridging visa?

P.S. He wants to stay in Australia for 1-2 years until I get citizenship, also need working rights.

Thanks.

To add a partner to a PR visa you need to meet the requirements and marriage alone is not enough, you need to show other evidence.

this is the basic detail

Partner documents

We need to see evidence of your partner's identity and relationship with you. 

Provide:

• identity documents and photos
  • character documents
  • marriage certificate, if applicable
  • documents about other relationships, if applicable

For de facto relationship provide either:

• evidence that your relationship is registered by an Australian State or Territory 
  • enough documents to prove you have been in a de facto relationship with your partner for at least 12 months before you apply

For both married and de facto applicants you must provide evidence that you are in a genuine and continuing relationship. Evidence can include but is not limited to:

• joint bank account statements
  • billing accounts in joint names
  • joint leases or mortgages
  • documents that show your partner has lived at the same address as you

Adding to the existing application will be quicker and cheaper than applying for a partner visa after the grant.  If you did not use an agent for the 190 this might be worth at least a consult to look at options. 

You must declare the marriage if it occurs before your visa grant anyway.

Edited by rammygirl

On 18/02/2020 at 17:46, Ausvisitor said:

You will need to wait at least six months.

You said you applied in September 2019 but that at this time you did not have the partner. That means you have been partners for at most 6 months.

You need to be able to evidence a minimum of a year together to be classed as defacto partners

We are not de facto partners. We are going to get married

To sponsor a partner you must be a citizen,  a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen and be married, or in a de facto relationship for 12 months, or have a registered relationship and have evidence to satisfy the minister that your relationship is: exclusive,  mutual,  genuine and continuing.

To add a partner to an undecided 190 application is a quite different matter. It is not  a sponsorship.

Marriage counts for very little, but must be declared as as a change in circumstances, even if a partner is not going to be added to an application.

Edited by wrussell

• 3 months later...
On 17/02/2020 at 22:28, rammygirl said:

To add a partner to a PR visa you need to meet the requirements and marriage alone is not enough, you need to show other evidence.

this is the basic detail

Partner documents

We need to see evidence of your partner's identity and relationship with you. 

Provide:

• identity documents and photos
  • character documents
  • marriage certificate, if applicable
  • documents about other relationships, if applicable

For de facto relationship provide either:

• evidence that your relationship is registered by an Australian State or Territory 
  • enough documents to prove you have been in a de facto relationship with your partner for at least 12 months before you apply

For both married and de facto applicants you must provide evidence that you are in a genuine and continuing relationship. Evidence can include but is not limited to:

• joint bank account statements
  • billing accounts in joint names
  • joint leases or mortgages
  • documents that show your partner has lived at the same address as you

Adding to the existing application will be quicker and cheaper than applying for a partner visa after the grant.  If you did not use an agent for the 190 this might be worth at least a consult to look at options. 

You must declare the marriage if it occurs before your visa grant anyway.

In my case we have been together for 5 years but do not currently live together or have joint accounts. Would we still classify as defacto partners? 

1 hour ago, LostInCuba said:

In my case we have been together for 5 years but do not currently live together or have joint accounts. Would we still classify as defacto partners? 

It may be worth running it past a migrant agent as I’d say it sounds like you’re just dating. If after 5 years you’re not living together/have joint things together I’d say you may have a tough time proving you’re in a defecto relationship.