Purchasing NI credits for pension

ena123

Hi my dad is 66. He has 8 years NI credits. 

If he purchases 2 years worth of credits (about 1500 pounds) he will be eligible for the minimum new state pension. 

Does anyone here know if he would be eligible for the 12 month back payment ? or how we could find out ? 

He should enquire here:

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre

They'll send him a letter confirming how much pension he'll get, whether he can make voluntary contributions, how much to pay and where to pay it.  

The information about contributions is below, but like I said, it's best to do it all through the International Pensions Centre because then it all gets tied up in the same place:

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines

Edited by Marisawright

10 hours ago, ena123 said:

Hi my dad is 66. He has 8 years NI credits. 

If he purchases 2 years worth of credits (about 1500 pounds) he will be eligible for the minimum new state pension. 

Does anyone here know if he would be eligible for the 12 month back payment ? or how we could find out ? 

You can "buy" a year of NI contributions for up to 6 years after your retirement date. So whether he could purchase them depends on if he already has a full year for the years he was 61,62,63,64 (the one's before are too far back and the contribution element stops at 65 so you can't buy that year either).

The Pension service will be able to help, however I do know that if you buy them now you won't get the lump sum you mention because you didn't qualify for it (you didn't have enough contributions) and you only start to build up the lump sum repayment (for deferred pension) from your state pension age or your qualification date (whichever is later) - in your Dad's case the qualification date would be later

(Otherwise everyone would do this as waiting 12 months and then buying 6 years would be covered by the rebate from the state pension for not drawing it for a year)

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for this your answers make sense. It’s. a pity we did not investigate this last year then my dad would have started receiving his british pension at 65. now due to his cancer diagnosis he is hesitant to buy the 2 year credits needed to qualify