Tax help between uk and oz...

A&L

Hi

Currently on temp visa but looking at being sponsored on a 186 all being well however I still have house/family in the uk how do I go about sorting what tax I owe and where.  Asked my normal accountant and they told me I needed to find a new accountant so really helpful...

Thanks in advance

At least they're honest!   On these forums we've seen some people who'got really bad advice from their accountants.  The problem is that it doesn't really work to have one person do the British tax and another person do the UK tax - you need someone who's experienced with both.  

If you're renting out your UK home then it all gets very complicated so I'd recommend speaking to someone like @Alan Collett.  I know @Ken is a British accountant who moved to Melbourne, not sure if he's practising or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

At least they're honest!   On these forums we've seen some people who'got really bad advice from their accountants.  The problem is that it doesn't really work to have one person do the British tax and another person do the UK tax - you need someone who's experienced with both.  

If you're renting out your UK home then it all gets very complicated so I'd recommend speaking to someone like @Alan Collett.  I know @Ken is a British accountant who moved to Melbourne, not sure if he's practising or not.

I agree,. We moved from a temporary visa to PR last year, and the tax situation is quite complex, so you really need a tax expert used to dealing with complex tax situation. Much better for your accountant to be honest. 

There is also a new UK tax condition called ‘accidental landlord’ which you need to see if it affects you? 

Alan Collett posts regularly on PIO and is recommended for tax advice.

• Like 1

Thankyou both, family still living in uk for now until permanent Visa sorted so they are still living in uk house. We have looked into trying to get a different accouant just not getting any replies. Hopefully some of the people Marisa mentioned can point me in the direction of a company theyve used/know...