Removals - Sending items on an 804 visa

Charlie m

Hi we are going to Melbourne to live and we are not sure how to send over our  goods as we are going to apply for 804 visa on shore and on the forums it says you have to show your visa but if we have only got a tourist visa what do we do, also can we put all the goods that we are sending over in our sons name to make it easy then we can just arrive with our tourist visa and then apply for our 804, also do the removal company come about two weeks before you go if so we will have to rent somewhere ( will be asking these questions to removal companies as well  just would like answers from people who have done it) 

many thanks

Charlie m

On 25/01/2020 at 20:57, Marisawright said:

You're right, you can't ship the goods in your own name.  You will have to put them in your son's name. 

You can tell the removal men the precise date when you want them to pick up the goods.

This is the only way to do it until they have their visa.

Of course this means that the shipment probably doesn't qualify for the "first move" tax and customs exemption that new immigrants can take advantage of, so they will likely end up with a large customs bill for "added tax" assessed on the goods value, or at least that's how I understand it.

Thank you all for you answers does anybody know how much the Added Tax might be even an estimate assessed on the goods we are taking over we are only taking clothes some personal stuff and some bits of furniture it might take up about I think if my calculations are correct about 150cuft  on the container that was the last quote I had for the measurements  

thanks 

charlie m

21 minutes ago, Charlie m said:

Thank you all for you answers does anybody know how much the Added Tax might be even an estimate assessed on the goods we are taking over we are only taking clothes some personal stuff and some bits of furniture it might take up about I think if my calculations are correct about 150cuft  on the container that was the last quote I had for the measurements  

At that size, you would be much wiser to use a Movecube, not a container.    Most people pack it themselves, but you can pay them to pack it for you.  

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/moving/movecube

You may not be able to fit large items of furniture into the cube but the largest one is 6 cubic metres, I think - more than you need.

It's very hard to say what the added tax will be.  If it is all second-hand personal effects, it shouldn't be too bad. 

Edited by Marisawright

4 minutes ago, Charlie m said:

Hi can anyone tell me what company  they used in the U.K. to move to Melbourne so many different reviews 

thanks 

charlie m 

If you are only sending 150 cu ft, then you have only one choice.  Seven Seas is the only company that offers a container that is small enough for you, it's called the Movecube. 

11 minutes ago, Charlie m said:

Hi can anyone tell me what company  they used in the U.K. to move to Melbourne so many different reviews 

thanks 

charlie m 

Although to Brisbane and not Melbourne, we used a shared container with Crown Relo back when we migrated and they were awesome. We didnt bring any furniture so didnt have enough stuff to fill a full container so went with the shared option. It arrived on time and everything was intact. Around 6 months later i then shipped another 8 boxes of stuff out the same way and again had no issues.

Good luck with everything and make sure you get a few companys to quote if you can, as prices can vary a lot. Also check carefully what you are quoted for as i believe some companys dont include charges that add up when at this end.

Cal x