Midwife

1 hour ago, JillFieldstead said:

Hi I've been looking at a job through sponsership in melbourne but need to send off my aphra, is there other documentation I need to do aswell as the aphra..for eg police checks??.

Am confused would appreciate some help and guidance.

Jill

You need to get your qualifications and skills assessed. Some people do AHPRA, then modified ANMAC skills assessment. Some do it the other way around.

AHPRA use a different police clearance than the UK's ACRO. Its through ICHC and called fit2work.

Remember that if its through sponsorship, you're stuck with that employer, and if they terminate your contract, it could mean bye bye.

HTH

Do remember that if you do AHPRA first, you have to present to an AHPRA office in Aus within 12 weeks of getting your letter in order to finalise the registration process (it's only after this is done are you actually registered). For this reason, most people do the skills assessment with ANMAC first so that they can be applying for the visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ali said:

Do remember that if you do AHPRA first, you have to present to an AHPRA office in Aus within 12 weeks of getting your letter in order to finalise the registration process (it's only after this is done are you actually registered). For this reason, most people do the skills assessment with ANMAC first so that they can be applying for the visa.

This too.

7 hours ago, JillFieldstead said:

Thanks so much for your help and guidance..

I will apply for my police check through aphra. Then do my aphra then anmac do you think this is acceptable. I do understand you have to present in person to activate your registration in oz.

Regards jill x

You can do it any way you like, if you get AHPRA first you will be able to do the modified skills assessment.  You will need the police check for migration purposes - so do apply for the correct one as this will be needed for your visa application.  The police check will be valid for 12 months

Thanks @Amber Snowball

Yes it is I, the madwife 😆

Aside from all the skills assessments woes and APHRA, yes there may be an issue with the continuity of care model you may or may not have completed during your training. This may impact your ability of finding employment in that you may need a period of supervised practice. Here’s the thread, it was discussed last year by some other new  midwives on the forum.

I’ve also checked the links for the sources of my info and as far as I can tell, this is still in place by the NMBA, here is the factsheet: 14875&dbid=AP&chksum=OBp1wzI2SfHEdKXJqjh

Although here is another which says they’ve revised the assessment criteria from 2019. I’m not 100% what this actually means in practice though. https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/International.aspx

You may find a large sponsor who has jumped through these hoops afew times for the benefit of having experienced midwives work for them, and may have the supervised practice process down-pat. On the other hand, and I speak solely for the hospital I work (which is huge) they won’t do it because 1) they’ve done it already and it was such a convoluted process, they vowed it wasn’t worth the effort, and 2) midwifery  is not as in demand as it once was, and whilst there may not be the pick of experienced midwives, there are at least lesser experienced midwives who are ready to start work immediately, with full registration who can hit the floor running (so to speak).

You don’t say when you qualified? The catch is if it was recent, there’s a chance your transcript will already include the continuity of care modules and the above will be not applicable to you, however you’ll be fairly newly qualified and there are masses of new grads already in Australia, which makes it competitive.  If it was a while ago, you’ll hold some valuable experience but of course the supervised practice will be a big turn off for many prospective employers. 

Good luck, I’d be really keen to hear how you get on.

Edited by Wonderingaloud
Grammar
  • Thanks 1